Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

RobertR

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,777
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by RobertR

  1. I can guarantee he'll never again place a bet that will call into question the integrity of the game.
  2. I think people forget about the time before RT was big. Michael Bay was hated by a lot of critics while Armageddon and Transformers movies were big hits. If anything I'd say that critics and audiences are closer than ever, with a few notable exceptions. When was the last time a big hit wasn't favorably reviewed? Plus, critics and audiences are often looking for different things. Critics are often looking for originality and pushing the form. Audiences often just want to be entertained.
  3. I've been remiss in not mentioning that the new 4K Restoration of Seven Samurai was playing in Milwaukee. Magnificent as expected.
  4. I'm in on Furiosa as not being as good as Fury Road but still being among the better of the year to date. It's a more contemplative film which slows down to consider revenge as a concept in between the setpieces and worldbuilding. Probably could have stood to pare about 15 minutes but I felt really good coming out of it and mulling it around days later. I'd probably put it third in my rankings of the franchise behind Fury Road and the Road Warrior. Not too shabby.
  5. Best of the 2024 Milwaukee Film Festival hasn't been very surprising. I highly recommend Monster and Do Not Expect too Much From the End of the World.
  6. Tickets to the Milwaukee Film Festival go on sale next week. https://mkefilm.org/mff24
  7. I'm off to see The Zone of Interest tonight to wrap up my Oscars Best Picture watch. So far, I've only disliked one, Maestro, and thought the rest were all good, worthwhile pictures that make this one of the better years of nominees. I kind of want to catch Stop Making Sense tonight at the Oriental, but it's a busy weekend.
  8. I find it hard to believe too. I believe in basic biological urges. But I've read enough stuff just to give the heads up. And, I'd like to emphasize that Yorgos lanthimos is a weird director.
  9. Well it has copious nudity and numerous sex scenes. Back in my day, those were reasons to go see a movie, but I understand younger generations are a bit put off by those things these days. Also, it's a Yorgos Lanthimos movie. So it's weird. I see those as positives, but it's certainly not a movie for everyone.
  10. Thought I'd share the Oscar nominees this year. 96TH OSCARS® NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED | Academy Press Office I think it's been a good year and the Academy, for the most part, did a good job identifying the films that resonated with critics and audiences this year. Nits to be picked of course, you could sub out Maestro for Across the Spider-Verse and the only people that would really be upset work for Netflix. Also, I feel that after having seen 8 of the 10 nominees, that for the most part watching the nominees isn't like eating your vegetables. Barbie and Oppenheimer are obviously two of the biggest hits of the year. But also I'd have no problem casually recommending The Holdovers, American Fiction, Past Lives, and Anatomy of a Fall to people that just want to watch a good movie. I wouldn't have a problem recommending Poor Things either, but I feel that there needs to be a little heads up about what they would be getting into.
  11. The last game really took the shine off what had been a really impressive run. If Berry doesn't go, I hope upper management stops spending high draft picks on defense. The offense might not underachieve.
  12. I understand that it may only have a very limited run but Godzilla Minus One was legitimately terrific. Characters you could empathize with. Terrific set pieces. Something to say about post-war Japan. And a bunch of Jaws mixed in. Worth making a special trip.
  13. I concur that The Holdovers was terrific. Perhaps there are no true surprises in the film, but it functions at such a high level that it's really not needed. Very satisfying.
  14. I'd like to think that I have a longer attention span than a tween girl.
  15. I'm sure you could cut an hour and it would be a different movie. I have no use for "3.5 hours is too long" when it's been proven that people will show up for stuff like Endgame, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Godfather II, Titanic, etc. that are in the same general ballpark. Heck, the Taylor Swift concert movie is pushing 3 hours. I know it's not a roller coaster thrill ride. I'd argue it's all the better because it doesn't use the time for just longer set pieces.
  16. This looks like it's shaping up to be a real dog of a game. A record the game and instead go see Killers of the Flower Moon and watch the game, as necessary, afterwards strategy is how I plan to deal with it today.
  17. Joe Berry stinks, that's a given. But, I'm stumped by what they're trying to do on either side of the ball. What's this team's identity other than bad at this point? Do they have any plays that they've executed consistently well in practice that you can use on 3rd and short? Also, does the opposition have any fear that you're actually going to snap the ball when you attempt the hard count?
  18. Stuff like having Preston Smith cover one of the best receivers in the NFL and assigning rookie tight ends to the opponent's best pass rusher are the kind of moves badly coached football teams do. The kind of stuff you laugh at when the Bears of the world do them. It's the kind of thing that isn't acceptable, injuries or no injuries.
  19. I was expecting something out of the Packers this half with all this time to prepare and facing a bad Raiders team. I don't know if anyone is held accountable.
  20. I didn't have Taylor Swift and Beyonce saving theaters on my Bingo card.
  21. The thing I'd add that we know is that this young team commits a lot of penalties. And it needs to be a coaching point of emphasis as it clearly hurt them.
  22. Is any city more tied to their sports team than Green Bay? And what does that actually mean? Often, it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.
  23. The only reason that I haven't seen ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT yet is because the 1930 version is such a devastating masterpiece. It's hard to go anywhere but down.
  24. I've seen 8 of the 10 Best Picture nominees for the Oscar's. I have ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT and WOMEN TALKING to go. I won't say it was the right 10, but it was a fairly representative 10. The two biggest hits of the year, which hasn't happened since 1970, a surprise hit, several critics favorites, and a couple of odd choices at the end that may be worth discovering. TRIANGLE OF SADNESS didn't really work for me, but I don't begrudge the rest for getting nominations.
  25. I'm dabbling in the market this year, buying into Warner Bros Discovery when it was around $10 because I thought they had been punished for making some unpopular but necessary cost cutting decisions. Decisions that they're ahead of Netflix and Disney on. I don't know if it's a long term play, but I like that they're less reliant on one or two franchises than some of their competitors.
×
×
  • Create New...