Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

RobertR

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,777
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by RobertR

  1. I've seen all but Minari and The Father and will probably try to catch at least one of those two before the Oscars. Of the nominees I've seen, I liked Nomadland the best. And Mank the least. But I don't have too strong a feeling if someone pulls an upset on Nomadland. I think this is a fairly typical set of nominations for a year when there's not a blockbuster contender. And I think the year was always destined to be that way as I have doubts about West Side Story. And Dune is likely too esoteric. I don't think any of the comic book movies or Bond was an awards contender. I suppose In the Heights may be. But, I think this was always going to be a year that resembled the Independent Spirit Awards. What disappointed me most was how conservative the Academy was in a year when all the usual rules were out the window. Why not the last theatrical hit, The Invisible Man? Or a clever funny film like Palm Springs? Or one of the drive in hits like The Vast of Night? The Oscar industrial complex just kept grinding away with no regard to the world around it.
  2. Judging by the tv thread, there are a bunch of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul fans on the site. I'd recommend that you check out Nobody when it hits your price point. Odenkirk is a surprisingly compelling action hero, and he elevates the material, which is at least partly about responding to emasculation. It's kind of the dark comedy version of A History of Violence with more than a dash of John Wick.
  3. I love the power of just ending a streaming service with a few clicks. I die a little bit every time I've had to speak with cable "customer service". Never has it been so hard not to give someone money.
  4. Last weekend was probably the weekend of the year with Palm Springs, The Old Guard, and Greyhound debuting on streaming and First Cow hitting digital purchase. Heck, I heard good things about The Relic as well. FWIW, Palm Springs is very good.
  5. Apparently Jurassic Park and Jaws were the #1 and #2 films at the box office over the weekend.
  6. Da 5 Bloods is very good. A sneaky genre film that's always about something and features a terrific ensemble. With Delroy Lindo being a particular standout.
  7. It probably needs to be said, but Watchmen couldn't have been timed much better.
  8. I was privy to a preview screener of Amazon's THE VAST OF NIGHT recently. I think it's a very effective genre film with great attention to time period and a lot of style. If you like something like The Twilight Zone of old radio drama science fiction, or heck just like Orson Welles' War of the Worlds, I think you'll like this a lot.
  9. I'm looking forward to the new Dylan album. He's been a ray of light just dropping new things in the last month.
  10. Knocking some films off my bucket list given the stay at home order. Last week I knocked off the Soviet 7 hour War and Peace film series. The whole series is huge with thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of extras. It has to be one of the largest productions ever mounted. What's more, it's really good too.
  11. I suppose it's worth noting that The Seventh Seal is a plague movie.
  12. Surprisingly, The Seventh Seal has a sense of humor. It's certainly not a joyless slog. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey wasn't that big a leap.
  13. I'm 3 episodes into Watchmen and enjoying it a lot. It feels inspired by the original book in the best way.
  14. LADY BIRD is pretty great.
×
×
  • Create New...