Record Last Week: 2-4 (57-49)
Runs Scored: 27
Runs Surrendered: 35
Standing: 1st in NL Central (Tied w/ CIN)
Game 111 | MIL 3, CIN 2
Game 112 | CIN 4, MIL 3
Game 113 | MIL 3, CIN 0
Game 114 | ATL 10, MIL 7
Game 115 | ATL 11, MIL 5
Game 116 | ATL 8, MIL 6
NEWS AND NOTES
Like all teams, the trade deadline is time for shuffling assets and adjusting rosters. The Brewers made their first trade of the deadline season, acquiring first baseman Carlos Santana from the Pirates this week, but also shuffled some familiar names back to the major league roster this week.
- 07/30/23 - Placed RHP Julio Teheran on the 15-day injured list with right hip impingement.
- 07/30/23 - Recalled RHP Peter Strzelecki from Nashville Sounds.
- 07/29/23 - Placed LHP Justin Wilson on the 15-day injured list with a left lat strain.
- 07/29/23 - Activated 1B Carlos Santana.
- 07/29/23 - Optioned CF Jahmai Jones to Nashville Sounds.
- 07/29/23 - Recalled RHP Trevor Megill from Nashville Sounds.
- 07/28/23 - Sent LHP Bennett Sousa on a rehab assignment to ACL Brewers.
- 07/28/23 - Activated LHP Justin Wilson from the 60-day injured list.
- 07/28/23 - Transferred LHP Bennett Sousa from the 15-day injured list to the 60-day injured list with left shoulder nerve irritation.
- 07/27/23 - Optioned RHP Trevor Megill to Nashville Sounds.
- 07/27/23 - Pittsburgh Pirates traded 1B Carlos Santana to Milwaukee Brewers for SS Jhonny Severino.
- 07/26/23 - Placed LF Jesse Winker on the 10-day injured list (retroactive to July 25, 2023) with back spasms.
- 07/26/23 - Recalled 3B Abraham Toro from Nashville Sounds.
The injury was particularly disheartening for Justin Wilson, and the left-hander was primed to make his season debut after a long rehab before injuring himself while warming up.
It was a week of defensive highlights for Milwaukee, who’ve relied on their gloves to pick up the pitching this past week. Joey Wiemer, Carlos Santana, and others all made excellent plays with the glove, but none was better than this catch from Sal Frelick.
William Contreras has all but capped off his great month by staying hot with the bat. The Brewers catcher has recorded 33 hits and 13 multi-hit games and continued to play excellent defense behind the plate.
Brewers pitching may not have had the best performance in Atlanta, but they did continue their dominance of the Cincinnati Reds. The Brewers will finish the year with an 8-2 record against their division rival, thanks in part to Freddy Peralta and company's performance in the series finale against the Reds last week.
It was an ugly-looking series against the Braves, with the pitching staff getting knocked around badly. The Braves are baseball's best offense, but the Brewers' offense did their best to keep pace, scoring at least five runs in all three games. It was a much-needed boost for the bats and a concerning step back for the pitching.
The trade deadline is right around the corner, and the Brewers' path to the playoffs could look drastically different in a few days' time. Milwaukee has already added Carlos Santana, but don’t be surprised if the Brewers add another bat before the deadline.
It may also be a good idea to keep an eye on the Cubs and Reds, as both teams could also be looking to add at the deadline. Both the Cardinals and Pirates will likely sell some of their assets too. If you would like more trade deadline coverage, you can visit here.
The Brewers have finally made it out of the woods. After going through the gauntlet of six games against the Reds and Braves, the Brewers started a stretch of four straight series against teams below .500.
TUESDAY 8/01: BREWERS @ NATIONALS: RHP Freddy Peralta vs. RHP Josiah Gray
THURSDAY 8/03: BREWERS @ PIRATES: TBD vs. TBD
FRIDAY 8/04: BREWERS @ PIRATES: TBD vs. TBD
SATURDAY 8/05: BREWERS @ PIRATES: TBD vs. TBD
SUNDAY 8/06: BREWERS @ PIRATES: TBD vs. TBD
Think you could write a story like this? Brewer Fanatic wants you to develop your voice, find an audience, and we'll pay you to do it. Just fill out this form.