Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Who would you rather have closing: Mota or Gagne?


Recommended Posts

I sent this to somebody last night about my thoughts on our pen. I haven't looked at our pitching or hitting stats this year yet.

 

You know, the Brewers really have built a pen to my liking. I am not sure where everybody falls in place yet, but it looks like our 2 best pitchers may be Mota and Torres. Multi inning guys who are not tied down to a certain inning. They can come in, stop a rally and stay in for a couple innings. Having 2(3 if Riske turns out to be good) of them is great because they can fill in the role that Villy did last year, but without the burnout halfway through the year. It looks like Gagne might be our 3rd best reliever or worse. I have no problem with him as the closer.

 

I think I had something along the lines of ranking guys 1-9(in this case) and taking the best guy as your fireman/stopper. Making the best one inning guy who isn't your best reliever your closer, thus freeing up your best reliever to work at any time. Idealy having at least 2 really good multi inning guys ready to pitch at any time. At least 2 so they don't burn out.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't consider Gagne to be the best pitcher in the pen, but I am a-ok with him keeping the 'closer' job until he reaches a point approaching turnbow 2nd half '06. I like that we have multiple guys who are actually able to come into a 'jam' and get us out of it most of the time, and then stick around to do the next inning. I second the opinion that we should think twice before using gagne in inclement weather. I also don't think that he should pitch more than three games in a row. With the number of solid options we have, there's really no GOOD reason to do that. I do agree with the point that we should get him as many saves as we can without detrimental effects on the course of the season to increase his FA status when he moves on next year.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind us using multiple guys for closing just depending on whos hot. But I guess the pitchers themselves woudn't like that. I'm sure they like to have a job so they can mentally prepare for it. There are 5 guys who could close for us right now.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gagne but they need to baby him, I cannot understand why Yost doesn't understand this. gagne should get roughly 75% of the save opps and someone else should get the other 25%. We should protect our investment by not pushing him instead of getting 'the most' out of the investment by abusing him.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turnbow...but not really.

I'd have to say Gagne, but how much does tonight's performance get D-Bow back in the formula for the pen as the set up/occasional closer? He was basically the end of the pen lately, but Ned seems to be behind him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could've sworn Gagne was pointed out for HGH, not steroids. Maybe I'm wrong.

 

If Turnbow can put together a few outings like tonight, I think he gets thrown into the formula. At least I hope there's a formula. Oh, who am I kidding...

 

As long as Turnbow's pitch selection isn't fastball, fastball, fastball, fastball, etc., I think he could very much help out. Tonight he threw a lot of breaking balls and looked good. But I agree with Ennder; give Gagne 75% of the save opportunites and mix in the rest. There's no reason to "get the most" out of Gagne just because we're paying him a lot. I would think you would want to protect that investment, not push it.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...