Monday’s Game Balls go to the aforementioned Frelick, Ruiz and Castaneda, as well as Pedro Severino and Hobie Harris.
- RHP Jake Cousins recalled to MLB Brewers from AAA Nashville
- RHP Trevor Kelley optioned to AAA Nashville from MLB Brewers
Final: Nashville 8, Louisville 6
Box Score / Game Log
Via the Sounds’ website, game details, and we encourage readers to review each of the affiliate write-ups as part of their Link Report routine: Sounds Hold Off Louisville After Hot Start
OF Sal Frelick (3-for-5, double, RBI) opened the game with a single to extend his on-base streak to a whopping 36 games and the Sounds were essentially off to the races from there. Two-out RBI singles from 1B Jon Singleton and 2B Patrick Dorrian gave Nashville an early 2-0 lead before starting RHP Victor Castaneda had even thrown a pitch.
Not satisfied with just a two-run lead, Frelick smacked an RBI double for a third run in the 2nd inning, in which the Sounds poured misery on the Bats to score six runs on three doubles and three singles for an 8-0 advantage. In the offensive explosion, OF Esteury Ruiz (2-for-5, double, 2 RBIs, SB) and DH Cam Devanney each contributed two-run doubles and C Pedro Severino (2-for-5, RBI) added an RBI single.
Castaneda (5 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 Ks) was solid in his second AAA start of 2022, conceding only two runs and exiting with an 8-2 lead after five innings of work.
It was 8-4 when things tightened up against RHP JC Mejia in the bottom of the 8th inning, with Louisville snatching two runs on three hits and bringing the tying run to the plate twice. Thankfully, Mejia stepped up to induce a groundout and strike out to end the threat.
Now 8-6 and with the Bats having a glimmer of hope, RHP Hobie “No Nonsense” Harris entered for the 9th inning, garnering three straight outs to earn his seventh save and lower his ERA to 2.13.
Three Quick Strikes:
- A 5th inning stolen base for Ruiz gives him 80 thefts on the season (the most in the minors) vs. 13 times caught. Coupled with his OPS of 1.003 in 511 AA/AAA plate appearances, it’s difficult to contain excitement at the prospect of this 23-year-old eventually wreaking havoc for the Brewers in the majors.
- The 6th inning saw the return of RHP Dylan File, who gave up two runs in his first game action since August 26th. Welcome back Dylan!
- After scuffling a bit in some recent appearances, RHP Zack Brown gave the team a scoreless 7th inning, working around a one-out double in the process.
Tuesday’s outlook: RHP Josh Lindblom is scheduled to take the mound for Game Two of this week’s series in Louisville, aiming to continue a highly productive run (5-0 record in last six starts, with an ERA of 2.06 and 40 Ks in 35 innings during this stretch).
We hope that you enjoy the Minor League Link Report. Good luck on Tuesday!
Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores
Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth
Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth
Think you could write a story like this? Brewer Fanatic wants you to develop your voice, find an audience, and we'll pay you to do it. Just fill out this form.
MORE FROM BREWER FANATIC
— Latest Brewers coverage from our writers
— Recent Brewers discussion in our forums
— Follow Brewer Fanatic via Twitter, Facebook or email
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.