Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Jim French Stepstool

Verified Member
  • Posts

    6,157
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    22

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Jim French Stepstool

  1. If Ortiz has to sit for awhile, things get kinda itchy on the INF especially with Jett Williams apparently being unavailable again. It's to the point where the application would read 'must be a better third baseman than Andrew Vaughn'. Adams just might qualify. I'll have a belly laugh if he gets promoted & in his first AB gets hit by a pitch.
  2. Might see a few of their guys try to bunt on Vaughn/Misiorowski.
  3. Adamczewski playing CF is interesting.............
  4. Combo of power & plate discipline, maybe even too much discipline. He IS intriguing. I don't blame them for giving him some run at 3B given some of the other talent in the system, but I agree he looks like a 1B. If he ever DOES play 3B in a Misiorowski start, I'll bet it would be bunt-o-rama. ATTEMPT to, anyway😁.
  5. If he needs an IL stint this is where you'd like Shewmake, who can play three spots on the INF pretty effectively. If they need to make a move, unless there's another Shewmake rattling around in the ether I suspect it'll be a move people will be disappointed by, like adding Ethan Murray. A longshot might be Eric Brown JR, who was just promoted to AAA & has versatility.
  6. In the 1st inning w/the bases loaded, BA mentioned something about the Brewers having a 'sense of urgency' about these situations. That really ticked me off. I honestly think they need to look to simply put up a fundamentally sound AB, just as if you were leading off the inning, runner on 1st w/one out, whatever. No "looking to hit a fly ball" or anything else that causes them to squeeze the handle too tightly. They're human though. easier said than done.
  7. During an average season, I think the sky falls about 40-50 times😛.
  8. Well, that was gratifying. Not to absolve Drohan & Gasser who were both poor, but Minnesota is in a real good place offensively right now, even with the help Gasser gave them. Late BP arms were really the stars tonite, especially Ashby & Megill finishing two innings on.......twelve pitches? Nice to see a couple of hitters come through late. For my money Mitchell needs to be bunting in the 8th, even after the steal. Fortunately Vaughn makes it academic. But the 7th & 8th innings, geez. I thought Travis Adams was kinda mediocre, but apparently I was wrong because Brian Anderson said his stuff was nasty, after Vaughn & Pratt chased wildly. And Chourio tonite-----it's as if he proved he can drive balls over the plate to RC, so now he doesn't have to do it anymore. Baby steps AFA consistency, I guess. OTOH he probably made the best play of his MLB career & we might not win w/o it. I was reminded tonite how fast Lockridge is.
  9. Shoulda seen it coming. Back end of the BP guys are always susceptible to this. It's just too bad Wilson can't be part of the shuttle. Same thing probably happens to Richardson if/when he throws a couple/three innings.
  10. I don't know if he said that; I don't see all the pressers. But no manager manages that way over the course of a full season even if they say they do, particularly with pitchers. You can't manage a staff over six months the way you would in a playoff scenario, or late-season "must win". Someone brought up the Ortiz/Hamilton thing to him. They're trying to keep Ortiz away from RHP who feature the 'side to side' motion--sweepers, running FBs, cutters that break to the (pitcher's) glove side. Apparently he cheats to get to it, chases & is then vulnerable on the inner half. Meanwhile Hamilton hasn't been scorching, but he's reached in four of his last five games. It looks like a platoon, but I don't think it stays that way unless Hamilton really gets hot; he has to reach base to utilize his skillset because Ortiz has the better glove. They haven't seen many LH starters so that makes it more noticeable. I'd like to see Ortiz out there; not every day but more than we have. And I think we will. Got nuthin' regarding Yelich except he's trying to get him going. The tough sell on that is that Vaughn often sits vs RHP but has been better than Yelich vs righties; not great but better. AFA where he hits, if he hits in the bottom third of the order then probably Pratt or Lara moves up somewhere in the top half. I don't know if that plays into it or not but I'm a fan of leaving both of them where they are for now.
  11. Yep. Long man, extra-inning security blanket, whatever. If Patrick was fresh yesterday I'd guess we see him to start the 5th.
  12. Totally understand Murphy's explanation. Stallings & Anderson are gone, Patrick had worked 3 out of 4 days. You're not getting DL Hall up for a 3rd day in a row. He wanted Senzatela for an inning, and I'm guessing it's the late-game trio after that assuming you're tied or leading. They weren't, so Wilson. The biggest issue is what was brought up by a couple folks earlier---Senzatela suddenly being in a different role from what he did in Colorado. Depending on how it works out, THAT is something Murphy could be questioned about. This is also a byproduct of having 7 relievers instead of eight.
  13. Yeah. There are a number of people who simply need to perform. Contreras is a good example. He needs to do what he's capable of, in a spot in the BO that's appropriate for his ability level if he's 'on'. You can dick around with the order, but as long as you do at least some alternating L-R-L-R there's no magic pill. Like Mitchell. He was hot, finds himself at times hitting 3rd & is now not so hot. That might not have CAUSED it, but you need to be careful about that stuff with younger players & sometimes leave well enough alone. That's why I think it's really important for Lara to be comfortable & confident before he gets asked to hit higher up.
  14. That's a pretty good point. It would move Patrick to more of a 7th-and-later guy unless needed otherwise, and he's done OK in that role when asked. Yeah, 3 out of 4 days for Senzatela can certainly be questioned.
  15. They did exactly that with Sproat. The difference then was they most likely already knew they were swapping him for a fresh arm after the game. Now, Stallings & Anderson can't come back for a while, and they wanted Wilson to go an inning or two, tie or go ahead & go to the 'late pen'. Worst case, Wilson goes three which is what happened. I wasn't nuts about Drohan coming out for the 5th either but I reluctantly get it.
  16. Unusually poor outing for Drohan. What I thought it boiled down to was his FB was being hit very hard, much of his secondary stuff was missing badly, and the breaking stuff that didn't miss badly would've been located well if the count was 0-2 or 1-2. Problem is, he was seldom at 0-2 or 1-2 & the Twins could be choosy. They had the proverbial hitting shoes on. Even so, if the ball Bauers hit w/the bases loaded isn't caught we might be looking at a different outcome. That kinda short-circuited the inning & we STILL scored a couple runs, so............... I'll make a prediction: Luis Lara is going to get more & more comfortable at the plate, feel more & more like he belongs (even more than he does now), and this board is going to get pissed every time Mitchell and/or Frelick takes PT away from him. And for the most part I won't blame them. As for Mitchell, his hustle down the line on ground balls---not just today, either---that's the stuff of winners. OTOH, you gotta take 3-1 in that last AB.
  17. The part about keeping him away from certain types of repertoire, OK. Like I said, there's always a reason hiding behind "Murphy doesn't know what he's doing". I agree 100% about strengthening the defense late w/a lead though.
  18. Yeah, they manufactured one after the walk that Hamilton drew, and he can do that to people. That's been lacking, and I feel it's a large part of the reason he's been out there. That being said, Ortiz has been much better & I still don't see this becoming a straight platoon from here on out unless Hamilton really goes on a heater. I was a little surprised Ortiz wasn't used late as a defensive sub.
  19. Crow threw last night for Nashville (& was solid) so the earliest you could get something out of him would probably be the back-half of the SD series. Rom IMO has been flying under the radar & I agree is probably ahead of Koenig in the pecking order. Haven't seen Gordon yet; I think they're keeping him stretched out for now. What I love about this is if/when they go back to a 5-man, it looks like either Drohan or Gasser goes to the pen & they're both LH, so after all the lefties that have either gotten hurt or been ineffective it'll be a nice fit. If you maintain health, Anderson & Stallings are two very nice shuttle pieces.
  20. A quick search tells me he played hockey before creating wealth. OK, I knew nothing about him but he sounds like someone who might've at least made a list if interested. In this day & age a guy with that background could be a real asset. Late 50s; would he have wanted the headaches? Yeah, Finley is an interim who also dabbles in player personnel. That doesn't bother me as much as the fact he's only been in the position less than a year. For some reason I thought it was longer, so experience-wise you're right. Maybe after Eichorst puts the finishing touches on his dynasty & moves on to UCLA..............
  21. Once it was evident that Troy Vincent wasn't a candidate------and that was evident pretty much immediately------I wanted Michael Finley, who instead wound up on the search committee. I suspect a 'basketball first' guy wouldn't have had much of a chance though. I really have no opinion of Eichorst either way.
  22. I dunno, that doesn't sound nearly Cub-obsessive enough to me..........😆
  23. If they think that gives them the better INF defensively, sure. But there's definitely a lot of versatility among these guys. Time will tell. No, I don't think they'll simply let him choose.
  24. EVER? I don't THINK you meant that, but this IS Brewerfan😄.
×
×
  • Create New...