Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

OldSchoolSnapper

Verified Member
  • Posts

    12,416
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    27

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by OldSchoolSnapper

  1. I own and I love owning, and I love doing extensive DIY upgrades. However I've always felt like the idea of a house as some cornerstone part of your portfolio is exaggerated and in most cases due to luck more than anything else. And my house has appreciated $100k+ since buying in 2014. Yeah rent is a constant payment for eternity. But you are not replacing the roof, HVAC (this is currently like $10k due to supply chain crisis), painting siding, cutting your grass. Yet I constantly see people claiming things like "Yeah we made $80k in the sale." No, you really didn't. You did like $25k in sticker price maintenance in that time + all the labor and costs associated with routine stuff. In most scenarios, I feel like the kind of money you make in a sale over a house you lived in for a long time would be dwarfed by what you could do in the markets. I fully understand that it's not intended to be the main investment vehicle, I just have always felt that people really exaggerate its actual value as an investment. There are always stories where a guy bought a house for $150k and the is now worth $1.7 million (think booming vacation spots), but I personally don't even consider my house when planning for retirement. It'll be paid off or whatever, but I'm not really looking at it as something to extract value. It's just a place I have to live so I bought modest and just what I needed.
  2. I've been binging Succession (HBO Max). About halfway through Season 3 and loving it.
  3. I tried to watch the Lost Daughter because it was critically acclaimed but my God, I couldn't do it. I'm OK with a slow burn that keeps me guessing but I was unbelievably bored. There's a huge discrepancy between critic and audience score.
  4. I'm not even sure a lot of folks are waiting for anything. There's a major shifting demographic with more people not having kids at all, getting married later...I think way more people are now just happy to rent perpetually and not deal with any of the burden that can come with a house.
  5. We bought our house in 2014. I really did not want to buy a house at the time at all. My wife was pregnant and relentless about it to the point I'd get home and she'd say "we have a showing tomorrow at 1:00." The market was really bad for sellers at the time but I was just out to lunch on all those kinds of things. It ended up being the luckiest financial move of my life to this point. We went USDA, 0 down at 4.25% on a 4BR that had been sitting for 9 months. Our offer $206k was accepted, $15k below list. A year later refi'd at 3.25%, then I just refi'd again to conventional last November to remove PMI as the market value is now above 300k. By not having to ever do the huge down payment thing I was able to pay off my sizable student loans (% between 5 and 6) way ahead of schedule. My payment was something like $256/mo but I was paying a very painful $1200 on it for a couple years. When I got done doing that it felt like I got some huge promotion. We love the area so we'll be here until kids graduate HS, then either become snowbirds or just move altogether...not sure on that yet.
  6. The majority of people sharing info are going to be those doing well and/or those with an interest who've taken the time to learn best practices. It'd be like going on a running forum and coming away with the idea that the country is super healthy.
  7. I'd still always pay down a student loan. Mine were a great source of stress for me in way that a house just isn't. I can't sell my degree if I enter hardship. But I can buy a cheaper house and customize it to my needs, and sell it at retirement if I feel like it. A mortgage is really the only kind of debt I don't stress over. I try to pay off cars within 12 months if I can't pay cash in full up front.
  8. I think mortgage vs. investing is highly dependent on several variables. If I had a $600k (assuming WI prices) mortgage an outstanding balance like that would give me anxiety even if I could easily sustain that standard of living. At a lower-priced home (assuming it is well beneath means) I am much more comfortable paying the minimum and investing all excess. I think where a lot of people go wrong is telling themselves they'll do that and not actually doing it. Cars, boats, etc. I would never want to carry around regardless of rate. I totally get the mental peace of paying a mortgage down early and if you do pay it off early it probably does feel great. However if I ran an extra $500/mo through a simulator to see what it would have done in the markets over 25-30 years and instead chose to pay down a mortgage, I think I'd probably start crying at the numbers. In reality if you paid a mortgage off 8 years early or funneled that amount toward retirement instead, you probably are doing just fine.
  9. I'm a huge fan of sausage in general (and strongly recommend checking out Bavaria Sausage Inc. in Fitchburg or online) so I agree it is better than pepperoni. I'm not a vegetarian or anything. I just always want to enjoy the crust, sauce and cheese on a pizza and think meat often overtakes those elements. To me the sauce on a pizza is 3/4 of the battle.
  10. I'll eat and I think it's fine, but I feel like a rare person that actually would prefer no meat on a pizza. I'd rather just have mushrooms and diced tomatoes or something. On a good pizza I always feel like it overwhelms the flavor.
  11. I was buying these a lot last year but found that I eventually got kind of sick of it. If someone wants a frozen pizza that's different, more bready, it's a good change of pace. I'd agree they're good, but not one that I can have routinely like a Jack's.
  12. It's actually not. You can make dozens of things in them. When I originally got mine it was $200 though so it was much easier to accept I'd just use it for pizza. I have the pellet model and use it nearly every weekend. I'll second that it definitely has a learning curve, sometimes a steep one. I've had random weeks where I mess the dough up or over-flower and burn it...it can be an exact science. However when you nail it, the results are incredible. if you eat a lot of pizza and want to take the time to make great pizza they are very cool to have. I've never had delivery since I got mine.
  13. Disney content returns. That was quick.
  14. I saw that but they are dropping the price to $50. So basically the same as having YTTV and the Disney Plus ESPN whatever bundle for $13.99. So it shouldn't affect too much from a customer's perspective.
  15. It certainly does happen where they will throw someone out for this...even before an interview. They either assume you are going to ask for too much or they are worried you won't stay around for long. I went to an interview last week just to humor myself I guess and I'm almost certain there will be an offer this week, as they contacted me for references on Friday. I don't think I've ever had that happen and not had an offer. The work was more engaging than what I'm doing and the operation much smaller, but now but I have a feeling it will come in way low, and I'd have to give up a bunch of cushy large-company benefits that I just don't think I'm ready to lose. I mentioned early on in the process I was ok with a lateral compensation move, but as things moved along and the reality of that decision set in, I chickened out a bit. I'd still do something for less $$, but this is also longer commute, likely loss of some PTO (currently have 5 weeks), some benefits, matching % is less, etc. It all starts to add up.
  16. The last time I visited one of those hellscapes I had to drive half an hour to Spectrum to return a modem that was Charter's which they made a big deal of as though I had any control over that whatsoever. Haven't been a customer since.
  17. Cable is sadly the optimal choice for anyone whose top priority is watching every single local sports game they can. I don't have cable and I know there is a lot of resistance to this idea but in my opinion it is the truth. It's not relevant to me because I'm simply not sitting down to watch 150 Brewers and 65 Bucks games for a multitude of reasons. If you're dropping in a couple times a month, it's an enormous price gouge. The rest of the service is awful. In my experience of saving a few dollars with other options, you do sacrifice some quality. When I've had cable, I can count on one hand the number of times I couldn't see what I wanted. With streaming there are issues much more frequently. I'm in a weird Spectrum pocket where the Internet service is $17.99 a month, so the VPN/streaming route is a massive savings for me. But I still end up not using it enough to justify YouTubeTV or something. Personally I would rather read a book or go snowshoeing/hiking than watch TV that often, but if someone is dead-set on catching all the Brewers they can, without a bunch of annoying flopping between junk, cable still wins. Unfortunately. I'm experienced in piracy and it's wonderful for me, but my Dad is simply never going to use a firestick and a laptop to see the Brewers. It just won't happen.
  18. Is Red Baron that cheap? My Dad bought it all the time but I thought I remembered it being like $4 in the 2000s. Cheap to me is Jacks vs Orvs and Jacks is in a league of its own. Can still sometimes get a Jacks for $2.50, awesome deal.
  19. I've had the best results using a crust that uses both 00 and all-purpose flours. There is a Roberta's dough recipe you can Google that I've used a bunch of times. Sometimes 00 can be hard to find. Glorioso's has it.
  20. WI is actually a bit of a frozen pizza mecca. I remember reading somewhere that Green Bay consumes more per capita than Chicago, and WI is the national leader. If you go out of state, you'll find most grocery stores don't provide as many options as we have here.
  21. Emil's is made in Watertown. A lot of fundraisers in my area (Washington County) use them.
  22. Emil's is good, and made in Watertown. Pretty sure they used the same packaging photo as Tombstone. I know Tombstone is very popular but I never really liked it. I'd rather have a Jack's. Found it to be too much sauce and too pillowy. I generally prefer a crispy pie. Costco recently had Roncadin which I tried and also found it to be really good, then it was gone on my next trip.
  23. I liked Ghostbusters. Yeah a lot of fan service but the fans deserved it. I thought 2016 film was an abomination.
  24. I'm not going to quote because it's too much text but I'm confused as to why you quoted two blocks of text and insinuated they contradict each other when they don't at all. Anyway, firing and layoffs are different, sure, but usually firing is very easily justified. Layoffs are pretty often comical and ambiguous. After living though several at F500s, there is no effort made to discern who's worth keeping and who isn't in a layoff. Really valuable guy everyone loves? Nah, he's in the wrong department, get rid of em. I could go on but I'd be here all night. And again, I'll repeat that I've never been laid off. So this isn't some vendetta.
  25. You know you aren't getting some Cannes film with Halloween...but the one from 2018 seemed to do a nice job of entertaining and at least inserting a plausible story given the circumstances. I love Michael, just thought this one was a lot less creative than the last.
×
×
  • Create New...