Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

OldSchoolSnapper

Verified Member
  • Posts

    12,416
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    27

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by OldSchoolSnapper

  1. Watched Halloween Kills on Peacock. Thought the "new original" was a lot better. This one felt really silly and I found the central theme of "town must stop Michael now, themselves!" really schticky. For fans that just want to see Michael be Michael, it delivers that...but I thought it was silly, even for Halloween series.
  2. Exactly. And I remember every single company that had a person CALL me to tell I wasn't selected. Because I can fit them on one hand.
  3. You guys are taking this in a way I never intended it to be. This has nothing to do with evil corporate America or "fat cats that I despise." It is simply the reality of the situation and a set of conditions that employers fostered for decades. You're assigning all kinds of bitterness to me that I don't harbor toward anyone. I just find the whole experience "cold," so I don't think companies have a leg to stand on when whining about this sort of thing. And I dunno why you're telling me it isn't possible. I've witnessed hundreds of people get fired from my company without notice on the same afternoon, more than once. Sure it's a "layoff," I don't think the people losing their job care much about the semantics. The point is the same. They wash their hands of you the second it is convenient to do so. To clutch pearls over some no-show interviews, lol, please. As far as this goes: "Sometimes it is simply about being a nice person and treating others they way you want to be treated." Precisely. The vast majority of companies haven't treated candidates this way, so they can sleep in the bed they made. Of course, they get to do under the guise of "doing their jobs" so that makes it OK. This isn't about some ax I have to grind. I've never been fired, I've been at the same company for a decade. These are all just things I've watched happen from the sidelines, witnessed friends and family do this silly interview game. There are few things more sad to me than an unemployed person desperately seeking work, and getting their hopes up by a recruiter who Houdinis half-way through the process. And while I can't question your personal experience...I REALLY doubt that candidates ghost more than recruiters...but I digress.
  4. They got a better offer and don't want to bother with pleasantries. You know, sort of exactly what employers have done for 40 years. Who cares about screwing corporate America. They can do what they want. My whole point is that employers created this dynamic. They are to blame, so I laugh at them crying about it now. They can dock your pay if you show up late once, fire you this afternoon and tell you to get bent, schedule an interview and then just not pick up the phone, but expect 2 weeks notice if you quit and cry foul if you ghost an interview. Childish? Please. The amount of leeway you guys are giving these places is frankly surprising. I have to wonder how extensive some of your interviewing experience is if none of these things have ever happened to you. And these aren't one-off things either. I've literally had Google Calendar invites that HR people simply don't show up to and I never hear from them again.
  5. Yeah...I'm with igor here, I don't really see this pro-active hiring you speak of. Even at the huge company I work for, the vast majority of recent grads are on-boarded via a huge internship program and dismissed at the end of summer if they aren't hired. They don't get fired, just don't get offers and that basically means you aren't good. But they are crappily paid hourly employees for a summer so the company can avoid some risk. One thing I'm happy to see is the unpaid intern slavery trend that was huge when I graduated from college appears to gone. It should be illegal. If you couldn't tell, I find many aspects of the corporate hiring process pretty gross, but no, I'm not really disgruntled. I'm fine and feel treated fairly; I work at home...it is a pretty good gig, but in the end, personally speaking, all corporate jobs are just jobs to me. I never cared for the work, I just found more interesting pursuits far less lucrative and was always a pragmatist. My goal very early on was to take as much money as I could from Corporate America and quit in my 40s. That's still my plan. I still believe you owe your employer some basic decency and a certain standard of quality, but the relationship has always been strictly business to me. I'd shrug my shoulders and hold no grudges if I were fired tomorrow...but as I said, nope, I won't do trial projects for free to "impress" you. I know I do probably sound disgruntled, but I just don't have any delusions about the working world. I'm a cog that would be sent off to increase EPS by a 1/100 of a cent, and that's something people should always remember.
  6. You sort of hit one of the biggest flaws I find with employers hiring processes. What is the biggest thing 95% of them seek? Experience. What do they want? Someone who has already done the job for which they are hiring. The flaw with this should be obvious, but somehow, employers haven't caught on: Why is someone interviewing for a job they already have? Because they hate it. Yes, there can be relationship conflicts or geographical considerations, but in my experience, most of the reasons people leave a job really do boil down to a person not liking the work, but inventing a list of other reasons. So employers hire someone to do a job they clearly already hate, and what happens? After the honeymoon, surprise, surprise! A new list of contrived grievances arises. And they still can't figure it out. You got a crappy employee because you hired them to do the job they were escaping from.
  7. It's not a big deal anymore now that some do remote interviews. But all those steps aren't just 3.5 hours. It can be commuting 50 minutes to Milwaukee to do 3-4 different sit-downs...on your current employer's time. Which in many cases means multiple portions of days using PTO to interview for a job you have no assurance of getting. At my first god-awful job out of college, I was an hourly employee and I burned through nearly all of my PTO just scheduling interviews to get out of that job. It was absolutely awful. Unless you're miserable or unemployed, it just not worth that kind of stress for a mid-career person. All this is to say that candidate ghosting makes me smile from ear to ear. I'm glad employers are having their time wasted by folks for a change.
  8. I don't do homework for free. My wife had an interview like this, got hired, and the hiring manager used her fake project for a real assignment. He was using the interviews to mine his own work. I assume this happens a lot. She no longer works there. I'm late to the party here but I second all the frustrations with interviews. It's so bad that I don't even bother anymore and just opt to stay put. I'm not doing a phone screen with HR, a phone screen with a manager and then 2 on-sites. You're not that special guys. You don't get 6 un-billed hours of my time. As soon as they mention multiple stages I just decline the whole thing and get off the phone. I realize if you're unemployed you don't have that luxury though.
  9. I would for sure check into that... Sounds about right, overcharge you, chase you away, then deprive themselves of you coming back, even if they lose money in the process. You need to look into/learn the ins and outs of a VPN or something. $238 is insanity.
  10. I really liked it. Obviously graphic but I would say it's pretty "light" in the sense you don't have to think too hard. Also liked Midnight Mass, a few scenes of way too long and drawn out dialogue not withstanding.
  11. Even last year, the viewing experience was best on plain old cable in my opinion. Just the simple turn on TV and it's there is always best. But everyone has a price on what that's worth and to me it's worth about 1/20th if what they charge.
  12. I had been using my dad's fox sports go to catch a couple games but that suddenly changed to a Bally app that I can't get to work for the life of me. At this point I'm content with radio when I can catch it. I just don't watch enough TV to justify any service. I have a free MLB.tv app but I don't even want to pay for a VPN. It's one of those things that sounds good, then once I get it I use twice a year.
  13. How do you know that they didn't take positions before they broadcast their intentions on the internet? How do you know that there wasn't backroom conversation offline before they posted or about when to sell? Because they said so? Because it's on Reddit? They certainly don't have to pool their money for it to be illegal. This has been going on since the fall of 2019 and the original poster was talking to almost nobody for the first year. It's not until very recently that this took off. He's held the stock in the face of millions of dollars of daily losses. There isn't a sell signal. I noticed he sold some today to prevent being at a total loss but he's consistently held or purchased. You're reaching here.
  14. The key word is when withdrawing. Your pre-tax account withdrawals are taxed. What he's saying is correct. If the tax rates are identical, the after-tax value of both accounts is exactly the same. You can run this through a calculator and it will always be the case.
  15. This is empirically false. For most young people, Roth is almost always the best option. As you age and advance in your career, traditional IRAs start to make more sense. Generally I would say above the 24% tax bracket the traditional starts to really break away. The brackets 15% and below make up more than 3/4 of the US tax base and Roth is a slam dunk winner there. There are exceptions to every rule and so many variables that everyone really needs to research this for themselves (what state you will retire in, what kind of income mobility you expect over your career, etc.) and there are other benefits of Roth which make it attractive to lower bracket households. They can tap into the contributions for any reason at any time without penalty, which is not ideal, but they are the folks most likely to need it. But the statement that "most" people will do "far" better in a traditional just isn't true. Even if you take out the 0% bracket, which is a lot of people who probably don't have this choice to make, the 10 and 15% still comprise the majority of the tax base. For households at median and probably up to twice that, my advice would be to have a traditional 401k if offered at work, and max out a Roth, and do checkups at life stages to see if conversions make sense. The only thing that's "almost always" true is a that Roth is superior for young people.
  16. Small, nit-picky thing. This is 95% true, but it was the new board member hires from Chewy (has done very well) about 2 weeks ago that kicked this into high gear.
  17. Agree that thin crust is usually best and my preferred pie. I do like deep dish though and it goes further if sharing with a large group.
  18. That's not too far from what it is. It's basically a ciabatta as a crust. I'm not sure why that would make it bad though. I like all forms of pizza. Some more than others.
  19. The pizza did change as I noted, but honestly, usually it's you that changes more than the food. I use strong words with food sometimes but really, I've had maybe 1 or 2 pizzas ever that were so bad I wouldn't want to eat them. There are all kinds of things I used to enjoy, like Egg McMcMuffins and Dunkin, that I find almost totally devoid of any flavor if I eat them now. Pizza Hut, Papa's, whatever, most of it is "fine" to me, it's just that once you move around and have authentic pies you start to realize your opinions on pizza from high school weren't especially well formed.
  20. If you like Rocky's, you'll probably love Motor City Pizza Co frozen pizza. I've seen it at Walmart and Costco. It's the same style of pizza and probably about as greasy.
  21. I fully agree that they changed something and it doesn't taste the same. Pizza Hut was my favorite growing up and I have had it probably 4 or 5 times in the past decade. Dominos seems to be better than I remember as kid, but not enough to become a staple in my family rotation. I'll also say that I think Little Caesars changed for the better. They make a much more respectable pie and haven't increased prices much. Even my picky, German wife likes them, probably more for the crazy bread. At the end of the day, if I'm getting pizza its usually something local or Costco if doing a larger gathering. Hard to beat the value and quality of a Costco pizza I worked at Pizza Hut in high school. A couple of years ago though, they changed the sauce, cheese and the pan in which the "pan pizza" is made. It was ok in high school, I avoid it now. If I have to do a chain, I go to Domino's, but I find that if I have that a couple weeks in a row I get sick of the taste as well. They are far and away the closest (among chains) to an authentic Neapolitan but still pretty far. I recently bought an Ooni Fyra, so I'm pretty much strictly homemade from here on out unless traveling.
  22. The thin crust is quite good for what it is. The pan pizza is prepped by putting about an inch of oil in a pan and baking it. It is literally a donut with sauce and cheese on top.
  23. It is sad, especially considering that we can't go to the games.
  24. It's been a long time since I've had actual cable but the last time I did, the regular cheap cable package contained absolutely nothing. It was a bunch of crap and basically nothing that people get cable for. You had to go a level up for FSNWI. I'm almost positive their streaming service doesn't have FSN.
  25. Legally, I believe that's accurate.
×
×
  • Create New...