Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Posts

    18,796
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    232

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Joseph Zarr

  1. One game does obviously not a prospect make, but it certainly stings just as much as it makes the heart warm to see our former prospects excelling in their new situations. I hope Renfroe has a career year. Lol.
  2. One game does obviously not a prospect make, but it certainly stings just as much as it makes the heart warm to see our former prospects excelling in their new situations. I hope Renfroe has a career year. Lol.
  3. One game does obviously not a prospect make, but it certainly stings just as much as it makes the heart warm to see our former prospects excelling in their new situations. I hope Renfroe has a career year. Lol.
  4. Thank you, once again, @reillymcshane. I truly LOVE these posts. I'd like to take a moment to share a few things: (1) As a kiddo growing up, I was also a shrimp. Tho, I did ultimately grow to 6'3" with decent size and strength for a college athlete, throughout my younger days and into early high school I was a mere 5'7" and frail as a twig. I loved soccer, basketball, and baseball at the time but can distinctly remember feeling like an absolute twerp while everyone else was growing and strengthening around me. I truly considered Tiny one of my Brewers heroes. He had appeal to fellow shorties - especially kiddos, in my mind's eye at least - in those cups of coffee and part-time-player roles in the 1980's into the early 1990's. (2) He actually became a beloved San Francisco Giant in his brief time there. I followed him, albeit from a distance, when he first left the Crew in 1991/1992. He still lacked any power in those 2 Giant seasons (hitting only 4 or 5 HR's if memory serves?), but he actually hit quite well and continued to steal some bases. Those Giant teams weren't very good, if you recall, as I believe those were the last 2 years pre-Bonds who came aboard just after. The point is: It was just an improbable 2 year run for him and I can remember being super happy for him way back then. I think, if memory serves (sorry, too lazy to look it up! Eeeeek), he even was nominated for a couple 2-3 players of the week (!!) in the NL. It was so awesome as a closet Felder fan. I only remember this because, at the time, I wore it like a Badge of Honor. (3) Lastly, and I honestly have no idea why I know this, but, Mike ended his career with 161 steals. This is not even top 500 in total MLB steals, but, it is tied with Dale Murphy, which in and of itself is mildly hilarious. When I first learned this some years ago, I tipped a beer to both.
  5. Thank you, once again, @reillymcshane. I truly LOVE these posts. I'd like to take a moment to share a few things: (1) As a kiddo growing up, I was also a shrimp. Tho, I did ultimately grow to 6'3" with decent size and strength for a college athlete, throughout my younger days and into early high school I was a mere 5'7" and frail as a twig. I loved soccer, basketball, and baseball at the time but can distinctly remember feeling like an absolute twerp while everyone else was growing and strengthening around me. I truly considered Tiny one of my Brewers heroes. He had appeal to fellow shorties - especially kiddos, in my mind's eye at least - in those cups of coffee and part-time-player roles in the 1980's into the early 1990's. (2) He actually became a beloved San Francisco Giant in his brief time there. I followed him, albeit from a distance, when he first left the Crew in 1991/1992. He still lacked any power in those 2 Giant seasons (hitting only 4 or 5 HR's if memory serves?), but he actually hit quite well and continued to steal some bases. Those Giant teams weren't very good, if you recall, as I believe those were the last 2 years pre-Bonds who came aboard just after. The point is: It was just an improbable 2 year run for him and I can remember being super happy for him way back then. I think, if memory serves (sorry, too lazy to look it up! Eeeeek), he even was nominated for a couple 2-3 players of the week (!!) in the NL. It was so awesome as a closet Felder fan. I only remember this because, at the time, I wore it like a Badge of Honor. (3) Lastly, and I honestly have no idea why I know this, but, Mike ended his career with 161 steals. This is not even top 500 in total MLB steals, but, it is tied with Dale Murphy, which in and of itself is mildly hilarious. When I first learned this some years ago, I tipped a beer to both.
  6. Thank you, once again, @reillymcshane. I truly LOVE these posts. I'd like to take a moment to share a few things: (1) As a kiddo growing up, I was also a shrimp. Tho, I did ultimately grow to 6'3" with decent size and strength for a college athlete, throughout my younger days and into early high school I was a mere 5'7" and frail as a twig. I loved soccer, basketball, and baseball at the time but can distinctly remember feeling like an absolute twerp while everyone else was growing and strengthening around me. I truly considered Tiny one of my Brewers heroes. He had appeal to fellow shorties - especially kiddos, in my mind's eye at least - in those cups of coffee and part-time-player roles in the 1980's into the early 1990's. (2) He actually became a beloved San Francisco Giant in his brief time there. I followed him, albeit from a distance, when he first left the Crew in 1991/1992. He still lacked any power in those 2 Giant seasons (hitting only 4 or 5 HR's if memory serves?), but he actually hit quite well and continued to steal some bases. Those Giant teams weren't very good, if you recall, as I believe those were the last 2 years pre-Bonds who came aboard just after. The point is: It was just an improbable 2 year run for him and I can remember being super happy for him way back then. I think, if memory serves (sorry, too lazy to look it up! Eeeeek), he even was nominated for a couple 2-3 players of the week (!!) in the NL. It was so awesome as a closet Felder fan. I only remember this because, at the time, I wore it like a Badge of Honor. (3) Lastly, and I honestly have no idea why I know this, but, Mike ended his career with 161 steals. This is not even top 500 in total MLB steals, but, it is tied with Dale Murphy, which in and of itself is mildly hilarious. When I first learned this some years ago, I tipped a beer to both.
  7. Thank you, once again, @reillymcshane. I truly LOVE these posts. I'd like to take a moment to share a few things: (1) As a kiddo growing up, I was also a shrimp. Tho, I did ultimately grow to 6'3" with decent size and strength for a college athlete, throughout my younger days and into early high school I was a mere 5'7" and frail as a twig. I loved soccer, basketball, and baseball at the time but can distinctly remember feeling like an absolute twerp while everyone else was growing and strengthening around me. I truly considered Tiny one of my Brewers heroes. He had appeal to fellow shorties - especially kiddos, in my mind's eye at least - in those cups of coffee and part-time-player roles in the 1980's into the early 1990's. (2) He actually became a beloved San Francisco Giant in his brief time there. I followed him, albeit from a distance, when he first left the Crew in 1991/1992. He still lacked any power in those 2 Giant seasons (hitting only 4 or 5 HR's if memory serves?), but he actually hit quite well and continued to steal some bases. Those Giant teams weren't very good, if you recall, as I believe those were the last 2 years pre-Bonds who came aboard just after. The point is: It was just an improbable 2 year run for him and I can remember being super happy for him way back then. I think, if memory serves (sorry, too lazy to look it up! Eeeeek), he even was nominated for a couple 2-3 players of the week (!!) in the NL. It was so awesome as a closet Felder fan. I only remember this because, at the time, I wore it like a Badge of Honor. (3) Lastly, and I honestly have no idea why I know this, but, Mike ended his career with 161 steals. This is not even top 500 in total MLB steals, but, it is tied with Dale Murphy, which in and of itself is mildly hilarious. When I first learned this some years ago, I tipped a beer to both.
  8. This is the stuff right here. Awesome. Thanks for the write-up!
  9. This is the stuff right here. Awesome. Thanks for the write-up!
  10. This is the stuff right here. Awesome. Thanks for the write-up!
  11. This is the stuff right here. Awesome. Thanks for the write-up!
  12. I like my Sci-Fi like I like my baguettes: Hard but with body and texture. A bigger bonus if the series or book pairs well with butter.
  13. I started the Dune series of books just upon finishing the epic masterpiece that raked at the Oscars this season. So far, and it's early, it is wonderfully written and easy to read. I'm big into Sci-Fi/Fantasy - have been for a lonnnnnnng time - so it is mildly comical I still hadn't actually read Herbert. I continue to read TheThree-Body Problem by Liu Cixin. It's engaging and really well done. Lastly, tho I am reading several other books (mainly about plants and farming or Naturalist related endeavors), I would share I am reading Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World by Tyson Yunkaporta. It's incredible. Edit to Add: Just read a snippet of Joel Shepard's first in that series...seems like a turn right up my Battlestar Gallactica fetish. I'll have to give it a look.
  14. A random note about the name 'Julio Muchacho':

    When I was first considering the transition from obsessive and creepy lurker in those epic minor league threads of the original Brewer Fan to an actual poster, I was really struggling with a name. Initially, I tried to craft an homage to Marquis Grissom's innate ability to swing and colossally whiff at every off-the-plate slider feigning as a possible pitch over home plate. I found that homage mysterious and challenging. For some reason, unbeknownst to my conscious self, a casual story 'The Rock' shared over a telecast sometime in the 1990-1991 season about then Brewers reliever 'Julio Machado' was milling about my Brewers-themed mind and it sunk its teeth in me. Apparently, Bill revealed at that time, Señor Machado loved to eat iguana. As an adult, having now traveled extensively in Central and South America, this is just not a big deal - not even remotely. BUT, as a suburban 8th grader at that time, I was incredulous.  "Iguanas?!? Whoa." Machado had instantly achieved cult status in my eyes. And, that story had traveled with me in the dusty caverns of my mind ever since.

    So, as I was considering my 'screen name' I became married to an homage to this one-time Brewers reliever, Julio Machado, who had somehow managed to continue occupying a snug place in the archives of my Brewers nostalgia even tho he pitched a mere season with the club! Why did he only pitch one season? During the inquiry, I hit a snag. As I was randomly trying to validate my memory of that same broadcast on the interwebs, I discovered Mr. Machado was expected back with the Crew for the 1992 season but there was a hiccup: he was being investigated for allegedly murdering a secretary in his home country of Venezuela during a traffic dispute (in which, he later claimed, he feared he was being robbed). The iguana story careened to the wayside when learning of this truly unfortunate event. Who knows what truly happened that disastrous evening? I certainly don't. It's just a terrible event any way we look at it and a woman was taken from her life in ways she never imagined. Machado was ultimately released after serving 4 of his 12 year sentence in a Venezuela prison...and, with it, so did the aura of magic surrounding my memory of the 'telecast iguana'. I was defeated. But, I had already committed.

    SO, downtrodden and morose, I simply opted for 'Julio Muchacho'. If I translated it truly and with emotion, it would read: 'Julio, Man!'. What I intended to use, originally, was: 'Julio Machado's Iguana'. ? 

    AND, my friends, that is entirely too much detail behind my screen name. But, what can I say, I began writing this lil piece. I had committed.

  15. I certainly would be lying if I said I remember Roy Howell or his role on the Brewers - I was a mere 2-6 yo during his stint with the Brew Crew, respectively. BUT, what I do remember of that era is the absolute crisis I faced as a wee 4 yo boy when that 1982 World Series hit. I had somehow become a devout 'fan' of the Cardinals at that young age (a laughable memory now) because of my admiration of Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith. I legit loved those players. I remember sitting before our Zenith television with the odd push button cable box and my two lapel pins, one on each side of the TV, of the Brewers and Cardinals. It was, perhaps, my first 'come to Jesus' moment as a young sports fan. I was crushed when the Brewers lost and I then realized that was my Team come hell or high water. Little did I know then...little did I know...what I was in for as a fan.
  16. I certainly would be lying if I said I remember Roy Howell or his role on the Brewers - I was a mere 2-6 yo during his stint with the Brew Crew, respectively. BUT, what I do remember of that era is the absolute crisis I faced as a wee 4 yo boy when that 1982 World Series hit. I had somehow become a devout 'fan' of the Cardinals at that young age (a laughable memory now) because of my admiration of Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith. I legit loved those players. I remember sitting before our Zenith television with the odd push button cable box and my two lapel pins, one on each side of the TV, of the Brewers and Cardinals. It was, perhaps, my first 'come to Jesus' moment as a young sports fan. I was crushed when the Brewers lost and I then realized that was my Team come hell or high water. Little did I know then...little did I know...what I was in for as a fan.
  17. I certainly would be lying if I said I remember Roy Howell or his role on the Brewers - I was a mere 2-6 yo during his stint with the Brew Crew, respectively. BUT, what I do remember of that era is the absolute crisis I faced as a wee 4 yo boy when that 1982 World Series hit. I had somehow become a devout 'fan' of the Cardinals at that young age (a laughable memory now) because of my admiration of Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith. I legit loved those players. I remember sitting before our Zenith television with the odd push button cable box and my two lapel pins, one on each side of the TV, of the Brewers and Cardinals. It was, perhaps, my first 'come to Jesus' moment as a young sports fan. I was crushed when the Brewers lost and I then realized that was my Team come hell or high water. Little did I know then...little did I know...what I was in for as a fan.
  18. I certainly would be lying if I said I remember Roy Howell or his role on the Brewers - I was a mere 2-6 yo during his stint with the Brew Crew, respectively. BUT, what I do remember of that era is the absolute crisis I faced as a wee 4 yo boy when that 1982 World Series hit. I had somehow become a devout 'fan' of the Cardinals at that young age (a laughable memory now) because of my admiration of Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith. I legit loved those players. I remember sitting before our Zenith television with the odd push button cable box and my two lapel pins, one on each side of the TV, of the Brewers and Cardinals. It was, perhaps, my first 'come to Jesus' moment as a young sports fan. I was crushed when the Brewers lost and I then realized that was my Team come hell or high water. Little did I know then...little did I know...what I was in for as a fan.
  19. Absolutely. There is only one term...and it is clearly Manfred Man. And, given that, it is clear MLB at large may be blinded by the light in choosing to continue with the 'Zipper'.
  20. Absolutely. There is only one term...and it is clearly Manfred Man. And, given that, it is clear MLB at large may be blinded by the light in choosing to continue with the 'Zipper'.
  21. Absolutely. There is only one term...and it is clearly Manfred Man. And, given that, it is clear MLB at large may be blinded by the light in choosing to continue with the 'Zipper'.
  22. Absolutely. There is only one term...and it is clearly Manfred Man. And, given that, it is clear MLB at large may be blinded by the light in choosing to continue with the 'Zipper'.
  23. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, he has left in the tank. Sinker Baller if I recall, correctly? But, really a ground ball pitcher who lacks any ability to strike batters out? It's been awhile. But, on a minor league deal take a look and see if there is anything there. Since the first couple games of Spring, the bullpen hasn't exactly been lighting it up as it were.
  24. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, he has left in the tank. Sinker Baller if I recall, correctly? But, really a ground ball pitcher who lacks any ability to strike batters out? It's been awhile. But, on a minor league deal take a look and see if there is anything there. Since the first couple games of Spring, the bullpen hasn't exactly been lighting it up as it were.
  25. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, he has left in the tank. Sinker Baller if I recall, correctly? But, really a ground ball pitcher who lacks any ability to strike batters out? It's been awhile. But, on a minor league deal take a look and see if there is anything there. Since the first couple games of Spring, the bullpen hasn't exactly been lighting it up as it were.
×
×
  • Create New...