Seems like I'm one of the few who actually likes this trade. It's obviously a lose-lose here right now because half this fanbase didn't want to give up any prospects of value and the other half wanted a blockbuster and are underwhelmed.
We don't know the deal with Skubal yet, we need some leaks. Obviously it feels like we could have beaten the Tigers' package and I agree. I was surprised that he moved on Saturday. My guesstimate take is that the Tigers flubbed negotiations.
May was one of my targets but I didn't think the Cards would trade him in the division. I would have taken Holmes also but I'm not surprised the Brewers went with the one who fits their profile. I don't think any controllable starters actually got traded so it's a moot point there, and even if Detmers was available I wouldn't have wanted him anyway.
We also got our pen addition as well in the same trade.
I don't follow Brewers prospects that closely but it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that we would trade guys who are on hot streaks and rising through the rankings. This organization never does anything except sell high. I don't think it can be fully judged for a while but in the trade deadline thread on prospects, several posters had Ragsdale on the "sell" list. It seems like most wanted to keep Frias around.