Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

hoosier

Verified Member
  • Posts

    98
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by hoosier

  1. No Braun for me, the taint of being a cheat who throws couriers under the bus is too much. My fandom was formed in the 70s and 80s so I am admittedly partial to that era. The suggestion of Rollie Fingers and the handlebar is immensely appealing. I would say definitely Robin and Molitor. Alongside them I would vote for Stormin Gorman, as much or more for the persona as for the production. If I had to name a fourth (and I agree, active names are ineligible) I would give strong consideration to Harry Dalton, who presided over the construction of the Bomber/Wallbanger teams.
  2. This here, except I would describe myself as an obsessional pessimist, always inclined to see the worst aspects and fear the worst outcomes. 😛
  3. Strange feeling two games into the NLDS. Padres fans clearly feel theirs has been the better of the two teams so far but have nothing to show for it. In a way I kind of agree with that take: Brewers have been outhit 14-12, their two top starters have struggled with command and walks, and the defense has been marred by sloppy infield play. To me, both games have had that same feel, that the Pads had the momentum and Brewers were struggling to stay in it. But there's another side to it, of course, which is that the Brewers stick with it and find a way to win, making their own luck as they say. Bullpen, excepting Uribe who has struggled to get ahead in counts and has gotten hit, has been outstanding. So it feels like this could easily be tied 1-1 or even Brewers down 2-0 heading to San Diego. And yet the Brewers also have that feeling of a team of destiny. Hard to reconcile the two in my own head.
  4. Yelich emphasized that he views this thing as not just about on field performance but about how you carry yourself. I take it he's talking about a fairly wide spectrum that includes how one prepares, how one plays the game, but also the off field moral character stuff. Braun cheated, which is not a quality usually associated with leaders. What's worse, he tried to throw the delivery guy under the bus to cover for himself. I very much doubt anyone on the team had great admiration for that move, and it most definitely left a permanent taint on his public reputation. Public persona isn't the be all end all of being a team leader, but it is not insignificant either,
  5. I did a bit of a doubletake when I saw Braun listed among Brewer lifers. Yeah, Braun didn't play for any other team, but he's a far cry from Ueck, Robin, and Yelich when it comes to carrying himself like a leader. I don't want this come across as picking on your post, just thought it was worth making the distinction between quantity of time served with one team and quality. If only Braun's moral character could have been a match for his production at the plate.
  6. While Harrison's second half obviously leaves most of us feeling really uneasy about him pitching in the postseason, May has not really done anything to make me feel any easier about seeing him throw meaningful innings. Harrison looked good in his final outing, whereas May has consistently been erratic and has thrown way too many hittable pitches in favorable counts. I think at this point I trust May even less than Harrison, though the fact that he's a righty and there are already a lot of lefties destined to make the NLDS roster may work in May's favor.
  7. I wonder if MLB is regretting not adopting reseeding after WC round. To have one of CLE, CHA, TEX or HOU destined to play in the ALCS is just a shame. (As of this morning, BOS could still move down to third WC and thus make its way over to the junior-junior circuit, but that is very very unlikely.)
  8. I have no doubt Murphy would not hesitate to bring in one of his starters on short rest in a do-or-die scenario, but would expect him to stick with the standard (no fewer than four days off between outings) for designating a starting pitcher. Only exception I can envision is if someone has a really short outing, maybe bringing them back on fewer than four off. But if a guy has a truncated outing it's probably because he stunk it up, so that doesn't seem especially likely either.
  9. I was mildly surprised but not unhappy to see that Murphy stuck to his guns when one of his established stars violated the protocol. His first response to the press conference question about hitting for Contreras was great: "I have no idea how he took it, I assume he was fine with it." No kid gloves today.
  10. Henderson's splits this year also favor throwing him in one of the home games. Not a huge difference but he's definitely been more dominant at home. Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W Home 6 0 1.000 1.84 8 8 0 0 0 0 44.0 26 10 9 7 8 0 50 0 0 0 162 0.773 10.2 6.25 Away 5 3 .625 2.98 10 10 0 0 0 0 54.1 38 18 18 7 11 0 60 1 0 1 209 0.902 9.9 5.45
  11. I see Frelick pretty solidly entrenched as 4th OF. He might get a start in the divisional round, but Lara should be getting the lion's share of the innings in RF at this point. His dismal second half (539) makes that disappointing first-half OPS (632) look not so bad. No way should he be getting starts in a postseason series.
  12. Poor AB by Luis, started with a chase, ended with the bat on his shoulder. Not sure why you would want someone who is still figuring out how to put together competitive ABs hitting second.
  13. The peasant Bauers is banged up and needs a blow.
  14. Lots of guys getting the day off today. Anyone know what is ailing Mitchell?
  15. Megill hasn't pitched in a whole week, last two outings against Cubs he gave up first HR of year and first runs in like a month. Have to wonder, was this week just rest or is he going through something.
  16. Definitely inclined to agree with the fatigue assessment, especially Miz and Drohan (I'm leaving Harrison out on purpose as he seems to have more that just arm tiredness going on). Miz hasn't really returned to the dominant guy he was before they gave him the little break. He'll probably get an adrenaline boost in PS but I am not entirely sure that will be a good thing. Hopefully he can retain the foundational changes he made since 2025 and the fatigue/adrenaline surge won't bring back the erratic Miz we saw last August-Sept. Henderson seems like the one guy who has managed to avoid the late season tank drain, or maybe it just doesn't show up quite as much in a guy with his repertoire. My guess is we won't be seeing any signs of either of the dominant starters we saw during first half of season. Hoping that Miz, Henderson, May and Gasser can piece together an effective foursome that can get them to the sixth inning in good shape.
  17. I am assuming they won't want to waste one of the two extra ML roster spots on a guy who has shown himself time and again to be too combustible to be usable in meaningful gametime. Sure, he could eat a few innings in a blowout loss, but there are other guys--Stallings and Crow are the most obvious candidates--who can do that and aren't meltdown prone. The Brewers would have to have an extraordinary amount of faith in Sproat's ability to believe he can fix his problems on the fly. I think he has shown that is not going to happen and that his spot would be better used on a pitcher who still has a chance to contribute meaningful innings this year. Try to build Sproat back up from the ground during offseason but move on for now.
  18. This might not be a popular take, but rewatching the ninth this morning, I didn't feel like Sproat was quite as bad as he looks on paper. On the third walk (Busch) Contreras missed an easy ABS that would have been strike three. A lot of his misses were close misses. I'm not making excuses for Sproat, he clearly failed in his reaudition and now we can say with 100% certainty we won't be seeing him till next year. But if William challenges that 3-2 pitch to Busch, things might have taken a very different course.
  19. The standard, classic two-strike approach that you teach to high school kids is, be ready for the fastball and if you get off speed then foul it off. Easier to do that then look for something off-speed and try to catch up with the fastball you weren't prepared for. Obviously everything gets accelerated and more complex at the level Turang is playing at. I, who have never had to try to hit a pitch at this level, would think the specific situation calls for a non-guess approach. Maybe with the way Gausman was dealing that wasn't in the cards. But, yeah, if you have to go up there looking for a specific pitch, I would think it would be #1 and then try to ruin it if it turns up splitter.
  20. Ortiz and Vaughn both struggle against righties whose lower arm slots result in pronounced horizontal movement. I haven't seen the numbers that would support or refute that, but that is Murphy's position.
  21. https://www.mlb.com/video/trent-thornton-in-play-run-s-to-tyler-stephenson
  22. Gotta love those sudden turns of the worm! Even better if you can get the clip of the Stephenson blast with Reds TV call.
  23. With so many backend BP guys down today, need to get some add on runs to make this a little more comfortable.
×
×
  • Create New...