Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

owbc

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    10,249
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by owbc

  1. Consider a hypothetical Made for Mason Miller trade - 1 for 1. The Padres would probably do that trade since they were rumored to have asked for the Mariners #1 prospect -- Kade Anderson -- in a Miller trade. We get 3+ years of the best closer in the league, but he's owed arbitration so we'd probably pay somewhere around $35 million in salary for those three years. Assuming Made hits the majors in 2027, the Padres would have him through 2032. Or they could do something like ~9 years, $130-150 million to lock him in through the mid 2030s if he was interested. The only way that makes sense is if (a) the Brewers feel there is downside to Made, or (b) the Brewers are operating on a competitive window plan where they think they have ~2-3 years left. From our small budget perspective, the arbitration salary cost of Miller is what makes this trade look especially bad for us, and that would be the case with any Made trade for an established big league star with a few years of club control.
  2. I think you've beaten the dead horse enough by now. Other than Skubal there haven't been any other true needle moving deals made. As I've said, I'll be peeved if we do nothing today, but I highly doubt we're going to stand pat.
  3. Not paying overinflated prices for rentals?
  4. I didn't have him on my list but after doing some research I would be a fan of this as long as it's not a big return. Should cost less than Gausman.
  5. Yep, Mariners ended up buying with the Taylor Ward acquisition (which cost them nothing of value). And then they also pulled off the brilliant Castillo salary dump. Remember, the Mariners are in a god awful division. Fangraphs still has them at 50% playoff odds and Cal Raleigh has been showing signs of life lately. Ward replaces Rob Refsnyder who is hitting .140 with a .465 OPS. Randy is having a textbook contract year production surge.
  6. I don't care what Gausman did in the past, two top-20 prospects to rent the current version of him is ludicrous. The Brewers won't be giving up two top-20s for Clay Holmes, that's for sure. And Holmes has similar or better numbers to Gausman this year.
  7. Seriously. I'm not sure Gausman would even crack our rotation. The White Sox would have been better doing nothing at all than acquiring Luis Castillo and paying all of his salary. Teams are desperate for pitching and selling GMs are offering up the junk from the back of their garage.
  8. No interest in Gausman, but he is a good pickup for the Cubs. I just want to see us add a rental reliever like Senzatela. The deadline is not the time to pick up controllable assets since the price is lower in the winter.
  9. Preller was taking marching orders from ownership at the time
  10. I’m not judging Arnold until after the deadline passes. But his current grade isn’t good.
  11. Their 13th and 21st ranked prospects heading back to Toronto.
  12. We need to be careful what we wish for if that comes out of the CBA. A salary cap doesn't do anything for us without more revenue sharing. A salary floor would be bad for us. Losing a year of control would be devastating. Most of the current problem is caused by the Dodgers not having to share their local TV revenue.
  13. This general debate has been happening on this forum for years. Short answer is, yes, we had a lot of fun last summer when we decimated our divisional opponents. Our biggest rivals hate us because of our current run of dominance. And then we went into the playoffs and took care of business against a Cubs team that was motivated and out for revenge. The way this team stomps through the regular season will never stop being fun to me. I will never take it for granted. Everybody in baseball feels the same way about the Dodgers. It's not just us. Even fans of traditional big markets are upset with the current situation. Skubal wouldn't have guaranteed anything. I hate it as much as you and I've been pulling hard for a Skubal trade on this forum, but making a move that increases our 2026 WS odds in exchange for decreasing our 2027, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2031, etc. odds is extremely risky given our massive financial disadvantage. Although honestly I think the simpler answer is that we have a list of that prospects we are willing to move and Detroit didn't want them, and there's nothing we could have realistically done about that.
  14. I think we'll acquire pitching depth but I'm not impressed with the list of what's available. I don't see a single guy on that list slotting higher than #4 in our rotation and a few of them would be our 6th or 7th best option. Dustin May and Freddy would be my top two rental picks. Soriano intrigues me the most out of the non-rental options (assuming Kirby is no longer available). For relievers, the available options look like depth pieces, not true needle movers. I have liked Senzatela but haven't heard us rumored to be interested. It feels like we need to do at least one decent trade given the signals the front office has sent and the gut punch from Skubal going to LA.
  15. I wasn’t too far from there! Good turnout of Brewers fans. I hadn’t been to Angel Stadium until tonight — that place hit some serious nostalgia buttons. Not many older parks like that around anymore.
  16. To be fair I had the same reaction at the game
  17. The only consolation is that if we manage to upset them in the playoffs it would be an all time triumph. And we are still set up to be really good for a long time to come.
  18. Umm…he had the lowest walk rate in the history of MLB through 100 starts. It has regressed a bit but is still elite. I’m maybe biased because I follow the Mariners and I’m a big Kirby fan. The guy is a pitching savant, he can change grips and adjust arm angles on the fly and he has Maddux-like control. He’s not another average pitching lab fix, Kirby would be the golden boy. We don’t need him to be a high K guy with our defense. The counter argument perhaps is that the Mariners also know how to teach pitching so maybe there is less room for him to learn, but I personally think he would thrive. Plus you’re getting two full years of him.
  19. It was their last year of Ohtani so it kinda made sense but it backfired spectacularly by August 10th and they were completely out of it by September 1.
  20. What a treat to see Brent Suter start a game in person. Makes up for Miz getting bumped to tomorrow.
  21. If the price for Kirby is the same as Skubal, I take Kirby in a heartbeat.
  22. I’m in the Skubal boat. The price is enormous to make a trade today. We don’t need a trade today, we need one on Monday when the clock is ticking and the Tigers have no choice but to take the best offer. Reports are that no offers have even been exchanged yet. Meanwhile the Brewers will act like they are uninterested at the current offering price and throw around offers with other pitchers. Then they will have the leverage they need to either pull off the Skubal trade or go to option 2 or 3
  23. This org is always trying to win on the margins and thinking farther in the future than most of us are. I love it. Not sure why the Naylor hate for a guy having a down year and us needing a backup C in 2027. Classic Brewers buy low move. Yoho has show flashes but I don’t think he was ever going to be a high leverage guy so we’re clearing space for incoming pitching upgrades.
  24. I thought we needed to hit more homers??? We finally hit some homers and now people want more singles with RISP? Can’t have it both ways folks!
×
×
  • Create New...