Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

JosephC

Verified Member
  • Posts

    3,548
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by JosephC

  1. How much can the Brewers spend? Probably not nearly enough. 2022 opening day payrolls- Yankees = 245 million Phillies = 228 million Padres = 211 million Astros = 174 million So if the goal is to finish about 7th in a 30 team league and claim that to be a big success, the Brewers can likely spend enough for that. But if you want to run with the big boys, might as well forget about that until MLB and MLBPA fixes the CBA or the owner decides he wants to spend like the Padres spend.
  2. JosephC

    Pizza

    Gotta go full pie and order the whole wheat crust.
  3. JosephC

    Pizza

    Back in the late 70's Rocky's was a true deep dish pizza but certainly the definition of deep dish has changed and I don't really even consider Rocky's to be a deep dish pizza at all anymore. I would never try to compare it to a Chicago style deep dish because that is an entirely different animal. I really like the Chicago-style deep dish pizza after I get about half the sauce scrapped off. But I have never found a decent Chicago-style deep dish pizza in the western half of Dane County. Recommendations are welcome. I'm to the point where I have started looking at youtube videos for recipes because I am pretty near trying to make my own from scratch!
  4. Unfortunately I think this will all go away in a week, but the media and public really needs to continue to turn the screws on some of these brokerage firms. My goodness, how crooked do you have to be to get Ted Cruz, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, CNN and Fox News all on the same page!?!??! https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/01/29/robinhood-ceo-vlad-tenev-gamestop-stock-cpt-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/business-markets-investing/
  5. JosephC

    Pizza

    Compared to Jets, it certainly looks closer to a "real" Detroit style as the sauce has just been dropped in "gobs" on the top. It does look like Pizza Hut got the bottom "crispy" part of the crust right. My gut feeling is Jets would probably be the better tasting pizza, but who knows? Truth be told I was a bit disappointed with the Jets I ordered the other night. Taste was good, but the pizza only filled about 3/4 of the box which made me feel cheated...and it was a big deal as I wanted to make 3 meals out of it (still got three meals out of it, but they were pretty light).
  6. JosephC

    Pizza

    I just ordered a Jet's pizza. It is a bit different than Rocky's as they prepare the crust so it becomes crispy when it's baked. So about the same thickness as Rocky's, but the bottom of Rocky's crust is softer while the bottom layer of Jet's crust is more crispy/crunchy. I think I prefer Rocky's whole wheat crust, but I'd take the Jet's crust if it's being compared to Rocky's normal white crust. The other thing with Jet's is they run the cheese right to the end of the pizza so it caramelizes against the baking pan. Seems like lots of people really love this. Jet's offers an 8-corner pizza which I've had before and it looks like they just throw two small pizzas in the same box. But if you like the caramelized cheese on the edge, the 8-corner pizza results in every piece being a corner piece so the customer gets two edges on every slice. Jet's is pretty good but I'd probably still lean Rocky's just because I think their actual toppings are still the best among the chains. I've a sausage, mushroom, onion guy and I think Rocky's has the best sausage, mushrooms and onions of all the chains. They get a lot of complaints about the "doughy" crust and I agree with that but that problem seems to be minimalized if the customer gets a whole pie and orders it on the whole wheat crust. I'd go as far as saying that Rocky's whole wheat crust is a necessity. But a note to anyone who wants to try Jet's because they want to try a real Detroit-style pizza. While Jet's has the Detroit style crust, they do not put the sauce on top as is standard with Detroit style pizza (just like the deep dish Chicago style). Also, many traditional Detroit style joints put the sauce on top but don't spread it evenly, they just put 4 or 5 big gobs of sauce on there so the customer can spread it how they like and have the option to easily remove excess sauce if it's too much for them. Personally, I like this because I really like a Chicago style every now and then but sometimes the amount of sauce can just be overwhelming. It's nice to be able to remove some of the sauce without having to dig back through it to reclaim some of the toppings to put back on the pizza. Jet's is good, definitely worth a try to see if you like it. I very much doubt there would be many people out there who are so turned off by it that it would immediately find it's way in the garbage can.
  7. Not really typical in biotech either unless you are talking the CEO, COO, Senior VP level of management. Most of the publicly traded biotech companies offer stock purchase programs where employees can buy at a discount, but it's not typical that the rank-and-file workers take part of their pay in stock options. I do have one friend that is working for a startup and gets about 10% of his pay in company stock, but that's a major risk for him. If a big company swoops in and buys the company for twice of what it's worth, then he'll make out like a bandit. If they just pay what the stock is worth, then he gets all his paid but obviously delayed and loses out in the long run. If the company goes belly-up, then 10% of what he should have been paid just vanishes. But that is a unique case with a startup, it's not typical of the business as a whole.
  8. They do. It's called Personal Finance. Here is the course description from my local high school- Personal finance is one of the most useful classes you can take in order to prepare for your future! It is proven that poor financial decisions can lead to an accumulated debt spiral that will prevent you from saving and planning for a secure financial future. Learn to manage your personal financial affairs through real life applications. Areas of study include investing, banking, taxes, credit, acquiring insurance and loans, budgeting, and successful employment skills. Technology is infused throughout this course, with applications ranging from personal money management to preparation of income tax forms to evaluating investment options. Have to disagree with the concept that a Personal Finance course is much more valuable than an AP Chemistry course.
  9. I've got the Europe version of Strategic Command. Reasonably easy to play wargame. I think events are a bit too "canned" in this game. I don't care for how Denmark and Norway are automatically taken as the game goes. Also, if you don't attack the Russians, they'll declare war on you by 1942, which is ahistorical. I play a lot of War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition. A truly monster wargame. I have an opponent in Australia and Austria for both my games. Probably the best Pacific War game out there. Thanks for taking the time to reply. One of the things that interest me about Strategic Command: WWII World At War is that is the triggering of certain events AND the fact that some scenarios play out contradicting history...I can understand why that is a big turnoff for many but it seems like it would add to replay value which is something I'm interested in. I'll have to check out some video for the War in the Pacific game and see if I might be interested in switching and getting that one instead. Thanks again.
  10. Anybody ever play Strategic Command WWII : World at War? https://www.slitherine.com/game/strategic-command-wwii-world-at-war I'm thinking about getting this as I have a bunch of vacation time coming up. I'm not much of a gamer, but have always wanted to try one of these strategic turned-based war games. Interested in this one because it doesn't seem to be so objective-driven, but pretty much opens up the world and allows the player to strategize on the global stage. Being able to play as the Allied Powers or the Axis Powers seems like a pretty cool feature that would add a lot to replay value. Any comments on this game or any other strategic war games would be appreciated.
  11. http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1565927|0/Toshiro-Mifune-100th-Birthday-Tribute-4-1.html There are 10 must-see movies right there. The Kurosawa/Mifune combination represents one of the true pinnacles of film-making.
  12. JosephC

    Pizza

    Back in the day T-Jo's pizzas were all softer, thin crust and baked in a traditional pizza oven. If you like the meats, expect plenty of grease (my attitude has always been...if you don't like the grease, order a salad).
  13. JosephC

    Pizza

    Get the whole wheat crust when ordering from Rocky's. IMO it's essential. Makes a world of difference. The regular crust does seem undercooked and "doughy" which is a turn off for me and is the one real big knock on Rocky's IMO. But I think they have the best sausage, onions, mushrooms and most flavorful cheese out of all the larger pizza chains. Hands down would take them over Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns. I haven't lived in La Crosse in nearly 30 years, but back in the day, T-Jo's on the north side was my favorite pizza place. I see they have a website and are still in business.
  14. JosephC

    Pizza

    Also upset that Rocky's got booted out of Westgate Mall and no longer have a delivery option for the west side of Madison. I think the best pizza in Middleton/west side of Madison is The Roman Candle. http://theromancandle.com/
  15. JosephC

    Pizza

    Mmm, haven't had Buck's in 30 years. Pizza Oven has recently closed. Is Buck's pizza the same as Buck's Bar? https://www.buckspizzamadison.com/ Still upset that Buck's swore that they would re-open on the west side after finding a new location, but never did.
  16. No offense my friend, but if you are looking to invest 500k+ then there are two things that you should absolutely not be doing. #1 is asking a bunch of anonymous people on a message board about how to invest. #2 is making investments heavily dependent on low management fees which appears to be what you are doing here. If your girlfriend's family has an financial advisor/investment broker they trust, then I would recommend using that individual's knowledge. For the record, I do not work in the financial industry.
  17. To this point the metrics show that Braun has been a better right fielder than Santana. Braun has played 2287 innings in right field and has a -9 DRS and a -7.6 UZR/150. Santana has played 1927 1/3 innings in right field and has a -15 DRS and a -11.8 UZR/150. All of Braun's innings except one occurred during his age 30 and 31 seasons, and he'll be in his age 34 season in 2018. Santana will be entering his age 25 season in 2018. Santana's defensive metrics were much improved from 2016 to 2017. His DRS improved from -8 to -5 (not innings adjusted and he played over twice as many innings in right field in 2017, so the improvement was much more dramatic than the raw number demonstrates), and the UZR/150 improved from -28.9 to -4.9.
  18. Have to admit that I've grown more cold on this deal since it went down. Love Yelich and the offensive skills he brings. I don't think it was an overpay by Milwaukee in any way. But I wouldn't have made this deal unless I already had a plan in place to move Braun to another team. Reviewed Braun's defensive plus/minus numbers from his 3B season and do not want to see him anywhere near a MLB infield unless he is holding a bat or running the bases. Braun still has a good enough bat where he needs to be in a lineup everyday. No question Yelich and Cain have quality bats, but a big part of the value they bring to a major league team is left field and centerfield defensive, respectively. It would be a real shame if the Brewers put Yelich in right field and his arm proved to play like Kris Davis' arm in left. And it would be a bigger shame if they eventually put Yelich in centerfield and moved Cain to right field. Also would point out that Braun is a career +24 DRS and -3.3 UZR/150 as a left fielder, but is a -9 DRS and -7.6 UZR/150 as a right fielder. Also should be noted that Braun's arm played at a -4 level in only 798 1/3 left field innings in 2017. So moving Braun to right field is also a significant downgrade. Really wish the Brewers could somehow dump Braun.
  19. Just some past commentary from Baseball America's Prospect Handbooks on Yelich's arm-strength. 2011 - The Marlins will try him in center field in 2011, though he'll likely settle on a corner. His arm was a question going into the draft, but Florida tweaked his mechanics and believes his throwing can become at least close to average. 2012 - His raw arm strength is average, though his throwing is hindered by poor mechanics and a long arm stroke, which Miami believes can be ironed out. (Arm = 45). 2013 - A long arm stroke has hampered his throwing since high school, but extra repetitions and improved footwork means his arm plays as average. Biggest commentary on his arm would have to be that he played 5560 innings in the Marlin's outfield and did not have 1 inning as a right fielder. Obviously Stanton was there, but at the same time, Stanton was hurt a lot and it's pretty surprising that Yelich never played a single inning there. Will be interesting to see if the Brewers try Yelich as a right fielder, or if they put him in center and put Cain in right which wouldn't make much sense since Cain is probably the better centerfielder. I suppose I could hope beyond hope that the Brewers actually found a taker for Braun and Braun would approve the trade.
  20. I dislike the move but would classify it as a small bargain for the Brewers. If Yelich is projected as a 4 WAR player over each of the next five years his surplus value is a bit over 150 million. Obviously he wasn't going to get that type of return. I figured the Marlins would ask the opposing team to take on Martin Prado's contract and if that wouldn't happen then the team getting Yelich would be looking at giving up somewhere from 120-130 million in surplus value for Yelich. I'd estimate the Brewers gave up 110 million here so it definitely in the ballpark but a bit under my projection. If the Brewers had added in one more player like Freddy Peralta it would have pretty much been as expected. I just don't understand why, with investing so much in bats when it comes to the draft and international signings, that the Brewers used what was by far their biggest trade chip for a bat. No way I would have moved Brinson unless I was getting some top end pitching back. I like Yelich but don't like this move by the Brewers.
×
×
  • Create New...