Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Posts

    18,796
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    232

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Joseph Zarr

  1. - RHP Enoli Paredes and LHP Jared Koenig have signed Minor League FA deals with the Milwaukee Brewers with invites to Spring Training
  2. As someone who watched Adams play quite a bit in 2023, everything he said made sense and is completely understandable. Where I diverged was his comments on Henderson. Henderson has very clearly put work in on his breaking balls since 2022 and tho he may not throw them a ton the progress is night-and-day. He doesn't just sprinkle in a slider anymore so I didn't quite understand that entire commentary. Also, Baez had already moved strictly to 3B since the ACL. So their scouting report there was a bit behind (understandably so). AND, Baseball 'Merica very clearly still sleeping in EBJ. He can very much handle SS duties. Coming off an AFL championship and All-AFL Honors, I'm going to continue to believe if he stays healthy he has a very bright future.
  3. - INF Yonny Hernández has agreed to a Minor League FA contract with the Milwaukee Brewers with an invite to Spring Training:
  4. I've never seen Patrick pitch. However, I do know he pitched in two of the highest run-producing Double-A environments. Given he closed his season with a 5-game Triple-A sample, we also have a modicum of data to peruse:
  5. That's right. Mr. Clarke finally getting recognition. 'Bout time. Hard to not absolutely love a guy who just shows up every day ready to play; clearly works on his body and his game; and is pretty much always available.
  6. - RHP Chad Patrick was assigned to the Nashville Sounds (via the INF Abraham Toro to the Athletics trade)
  7. It's hard to craft a 'knocking on the door' list after Gasser, Rodriguez, and Misiorowski. But, if we're going that route I can certainly add a bit of meaningful depth to the list above. Firstly, I do want to say I really liked the growth I saw from both Wagoner and Cornielle in 2023. . They showed quite a bit of endurance and growth and the ability to stay the course and power through struggles. I like where they are at season's end. I can't say the same for Hermandez, Seminaris, Knarr, Cruz, or Junk. To a man, their seasons were either highly erratic throughout, filled with injury or both. Double-A is going to be a huge test for Woessner who has lots to prove in 2024. As to adding to the list: - RHP TJ Shook - Top 2 in Shuckers rotation by season's end. Full package. Just needs to keep stacking success amd growing into his arsenal. - RHP Tobias Myers - led entire system in K's. Showed immense growth and dominance late in the season as a reliever in Nashville - RHP Logan Henderson - don't be fooled by his Low-A placement. His stuff is elite. Sky is the limit. - RHP Edwin Jimenez - better work at High-A Wisconsin than both Cruz and Hernandez by a good margin. Stuff is more dialed. Knows who he is. We have several wild cards in the Low-A level and below but we'll have to see how that washes out to start 2024.
  8. Mejias putting that highly erratic 2023 season in Biloxi on the backburner! You love to see it.
  9. I love Fangraphs but I think they overstate their hand here. I agree entirely on the lack of versatility (which I think is clearly indicated) but I personally feel quite good about Dunn at 2B - knowing full well he isn't a Brice Turang level glove or fielding specialist (not many are) but he can more than adequately step in and keep the infield defensive unit ticking. He has fielded at nearly a 0.980 FP% and higher his entire career at 2B. The arm weakness is definitely a thing as they state and why I personally see his forecast as limited - the hot corner placements have been and are wild to me. In over 770 innings at 2B last season he had a mere 9 errors. He turns the double play as well as you'd hope for and expect. I'm not talking gold glove here by any means - and, perhaps, by my own admission when I say 'upper echelon' that is implied and I should have made that clearer. That is overstated on my hand most likely. On the other hand, I certainly see a very dependable to plus glove, better range than advertised, and enough combined positives to merit 2B positional considerations in the MLB. Put it this way: I feel much better about Dunn at 2B than I did Andruw Monasterio at any infield spot coming to the MLB level. AND, Monasterio more than exceeded all expectations and played quite well much and pleasantly to my surprise. Furthering my own lack of investment in Fangraph's opinion via this article is they don't actually discuss one iota of Mendez's glove at the corner OF positions. Quite frankly, it's just really really poor. Entirely too many lackadaisical and inexplicable drops on routine pop flies. With the increase in muscle mass, he's lost the range he once had. Maybe they only focus on Dunn due to his age and higher placement? Where Fangraphs and I do agree, however, is if Dunn isn't considered an everyday 2B for the Brewers at the MLB level he will struggle to find utility due to his overall lack of meaningful defensive diversity. However, I personally feel the Brewers likely made this trade as insurance for their middle infield - they now have more meaningful depth to cover 2B should they trade Adames. I love the Triple-A depth they now have with Dunn and Isaac Collins - who, you know, I absolutely loved watching in 2023. Another extremely underrated player. Toss Dorrian into that fold - who we know plays a very good 2B/3B but struggles with the responsibilities and wider exposure at SS.
  10. - RHP Miguel Segura has been released by the ACL Brewers
  11. No matter where you put him, this deal just makes a ton of sense. I personally feel the Brewers definitely got the best current player in this deal overall and it fits a serious need of more upside pop in the middle infield. I also personally see Dunn as a strict 2B/spot LF option - and, he is upper echelon in defense at the 2B position. At this stage of his career, I pretty much strictly see his 3B fill-in as a 'In Case of Emergency Break Glass and put Dunn at the Hot Corner'. Both the Yankees and Phillies gave him time there. It is by far his least sensible position.This is a player who was absolutely scorching hot in Arizona and was awarded a spot on the All AFL-Team announced this week (alongside EBJ, I might add - Wes Clarke Honorable Mention). He's not a base stealer, per se, but he can still swipe a bag from time to time amd he did manage a wild 12-for-12 SB in just 19G in the AFL. Perhaps, like his pop (21 HR in 2023 Double-A ball with essentially identical Home/Road splits), this is a late blooming skill? Oddly, Dunn is, in stature, essentially a slightly stronger, slightly taller, and meatier version of Bob Moore - who also bats left and throws right. For as much upside as there still might be for Mendez, I saw just as many concerns after his injuries the past two years. I just didn't see the same player who I was so excited about in early 2022. But, this is the Phillies lottery ticket in this deal and I certainly hope he takes the new scenery and change of clubs and runs with it. Bob Moore will be missed for his versatility and dependability. He had a down year in 2023 but he still absolutely had his moments and can hit gapper doubles with the best of them. I will always look back fondly at his work at shortstop in 2023 covering for the injured Eric Brown Jr. I sincerely hope he hits the ground running. I like a trade like this quite a bit. It's a 'Win-Win' for both clubs. Hopefully, it works out for both the Brewers and the Phillies. FWIW, MLB Pipeline slotted Dunn in at #23.
  12. As per usual, the players I think they 'should' protect or will be are left mostly dangling in the breeze😅. I'll trust the Brewers process once again as they typically nail this under the current regime and oh so few players are plucked during Rule 5 as it is One thing seems almost certain every off-season: They will protect far fewer players than you'd think...apparently, even with an abundance of roster spots
  13. I believe it's fair to say Murphy is likely better equipped to manage this team than the 2015 Padres as an interim. Hopefully, he brings back Dave Roberts as his bench coach.😎
  14. - The contracts of C Jeferson Quero and RHP Bradley Blalock have been selected by the Milwaukee Brewers (Rule 5 Protection)
  15. It's actually RHP Tobias Myers. He is currently a member of the Brewers org and is also up for Rule 5. In my opinion, he is 10x more likely to be protected than Seminaris given his late season output at Biloxi and Nashville. Seminaris was just as erratically inconsistent in Arizona as he was (when healthy) in Biloxi. If we are going off performance and MLB-readiness, I'd opine Myers is likely well ahead of Blalock who is still injured the last I heard. Blalock is a classic lottery ticket who has struggled to find any prolonged success (mostly due to ongoing injury woes) tho he has had bouts of success at the A-Levels. I like McKendry for protection as I think his best days are ahead of him and he's already demonstrated consistent success in the International League - that was a sneaky mid-season deal with Durham. McKendry sees himself as a pseudo right-handed version of Gasser - he's stated this in interviews on more than one occasion. A dark horse in this pitching convo, as I see it, is RHP TJ Shook who made immense strides at Biloxi in 2023 in a variety of key roles for manager Mike Guerrero. He pitched his best ball when it mattered most and he had several starts late in the year where he was utterly dominant as the Shuckers pushed for that elusive post-season bid. His best days are ahead of him. Traditionally, the Brewers (and most of MLB) don't prioritize field players beyond the blue chip guys. As mentioned above, Quero is a no brainer. Beyond that, I don't see a single player they'll likely add to the 40-Man. But, if they did, I'd have to think they'd prioritize someone like INF Cam Devanney over any you mention here. He plays a solid SS and 3B and has held up quite well at Triple-A Nashville now for over a season despite his delayed start due to injury in 2023. Zamora had a much improved (and healthy, yay!) 2023 and he improved measurably in terms of defensive consistency. Hard to tell what the Brewers at large are thinking here. I guess we'll know soon enough. Regardless, interesting calls to make and they have the open roster spots to possibly be more liberal this off-season. Given no list of eligibles is actually given in this article, I encourage readers to visit our ongoing forum thread on this topic HERE. All Rule 5 eligible Brewers are listed (the list is extensive). This discussion has been going on since July 31st.
  16. Is this good? Asking for a friend...
  17. You are surprised to see Myers included if you didn't see him pitch in 2023. The visual matters and the entire journey tells the tale. He worked through many things in the meat of the season. BUT, he is a workhorse. On more than one occasion, I lamented he was leading with a flat four-seamer that topped out at 95mph. By season's end, however, he had improved his entire arsenal and most notably he was dealing a high-ride high-rising four-seamer that was touching 98mph in a relief role. He was shutdown dominant in his brief late-season call-up to Triple-A Nashville out of their bullpen. Keep in mind he is still a young 25 years old. Biloxi speaking, now, by season's end it was clear Myers and Shook had evolved into the heart of the Shuckers pitching staff and the core by which they pushed for the playoffs. Anywho, we know these lists historically lean toward pitching. Seeing Myers added to the 40-Man would be entirely unsurprising to me.
  18. ACL Championship? ✅ AFL Championship? ✅ It's a beautiful thing and a fantastic set of seasons in Arizona. Love that Yeager got an opportunity to make his mark! Here's hoping he stays healthy and can pitch a full season.
  19. RHP Tyson Miller has signed with the Seattle Mariners. It's been quite the MLB circuit for Miller since he was traded to the Dodgers for cash considerations in early July of 2023 - Seattle will be his fourth MLB team in less than six months. Regardless, we wish him the best of luck in 2024. Here's hoping he discovers his best form.
  20. Scottsdale led 9-0 after the first inning. Surprise will face Peoria in the Finals tomorrow.
  21. MLB.com Callis piece on EBJ: Full article HERE
  22. This pleases me greatly. My thoughts on Navs and how vastly underrated he is are known...I sure hope Harold can experience some prolonged availability and success. He's been dynamite, even dominant, when healthy!
×
×
  • Create New...