-
Posts
18,796 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
232
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Events
News
2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking
Milwaukee Brewers Videos
2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks
Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks
2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks
The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project
2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker
2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Joseph Zarr
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
Here's a behind-the-plate look at Alcántara's game winner: Oppo thunder...- 133 replies
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
Ugh. That's rough. I watched Hernandez's first inning of work and it was classic 2023 Hernandez so I shut the game off 😅. I see it got worse. He really took an unfortunate step back this season or was simply shown how his stuff plays at a higher level of competition. I continue to point to: he has too many moving parts in his arm slot/release point tool kit. He has legitimately three different arm slots and, hence, different release packages. It leads to walks, HBP, WP's and then all too many hittable pitches. In other words, he finds himself with too many men on base. It's a strange pitcher-type fetish I see the Brewers having on the fringes. For example, both RHP's Israel Puello and Ryne Moore have been released. Both of these young men had very very similar moving pitches with comparable release points and arm actions. Hernandez currently has an uphill battle on his hands and will really need to evolve his approach if he wants to last within the organization and advance. Let's hope it happens!- 133 replies
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Australian Baseball League - 2023/2024
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
Last year's participants for those interested: C Alex Hall (good bye, my sweet Prince - may your smooth lefty stroke land elsewhere and flourish) RHP Cameron Wagoner INF Robert Moore LHP Justin King RHP Max Lazar RHP James Meeker RHP Brannon Jordan -
Right. It was an extremely brief passing comment he made to Chris and Kyle in a post-game pod (there was another player down there with him - may have been Vargas? I can't recall off hand). My main point is: we don't know what was injured and how serious it is. We likely won't until next season when it is discussed etc. And my overarching point is I left 2023 with many more questions than answers. Hopefully, 2024 answers those in a big and exciting way.
-
Until we actually know what happened toward the end of his 2023 High-A season - Boeve was pulled and then sent down to the Arizona Instructional after his last appearance 8/30 - it's hard to make any solid judgments here. There was no actual designation there publicly - no IL no 'Development List'. I have stated on more than one occasion: I don't know what was going on but as his High-A time progressed, his contact weakened and he was topping dribblers and hitting to low exit velo frequently. We all got excited at the ACL output but it's an elite college bat hitting ACL pitchers. It was a bonus he didn't scuffle whatsoever, obviously, but that bat didn't translate in the Midwest League for any meaningful stretch of time. He looks uncomfortable and range restricted at 2B - with the addendum this is his first legitimate action there after playing strictly 3B at Omaha. It was a classic Brewer bat-to-ball spray contact hitter draft selection - and, he certainly may tap into power there and did so in spurts this past summer- but there are many more question marks than answers with Boeve at present. Like @Smichaelis9and @jay87shotI had him ranked much lower and very easily could have slotted him in the 20-30 range in a pseudo 'prove it' 2024.
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
Surprise @ Mesa will be Live Streaming tonight for those interested. LHP Adam Seminaris will get the starting nod looking to build off what was potentially his best outing as a Minor League pitcher his last trip to the hill. As game time approaches (9:30 EST) check out the AFL main page for live game feeds. HERE. The Saguaros, winners of 5 straight, are a mere 1/2 GB of League leaders Peoria. They will also be live streaming tonight at Glendale.- 133 replies
-
- 2
-
-
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Today I will watch Damien Lillard and Giannis Antetokounmpo play for he same team from Milwaukee for the first time.
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
This is great - Yeager's ongoing emphasis and results pummeling the zone for strikes. Walks have been a mild issue early in his Minor League career. He's 25. What do you mean 'early' ? Well, lost COVID year. Let's remember: he earned the very early 2023 Shuckers role as RHP Abner Uribe's set-up man. He has absolute stuff: (From late January of this year)- 133 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
That's now 5 in a row for Surprise. They move to 8-4 as they continue to come into form stating their case as a contender for the AFL title. You love to see it.- 133 replies
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
- 133 replies
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
This is really well said. Thanks.
- 20 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- yophery rodriguez
- logan henderson
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
How fun is it to have such an in depth and ongoing conversation about these players we all hope achieve their best baseball as Brewers?! EBJ is also acquitting himself more than well in the AFL earning his way into the top 3 of the batting order and positionally working both SS and 2B (his first such innings in 2023). In 35 AB in an 8 game sample size - hey they don't play many games down yonder anyhow - to date EBJ has a 3 2B, 1 3B, 5 BB, 9 K, 9 R, 9 RBI 314/400/457. I personally think casting Boeve as a possible Black-like breakout is fairly misplaced in this comparison above but I understand the stretch. If we were going that route, we might also just consider EBJ - given he is just as athletic as Black (and much better defensively) - as he continues to adjust and build off his tweaked batting stance while aiming to stay healthy for an entire season. He'll likely never have the contact skills Black does (not many will, if we're being honest). Regardless to say EBJ is merely an athlete with good defense is fairly miscast, again, in my opinion. He simply hasn't been healthy long enough to build off momentum he has definitely created. All this being said, I don't base any of my subjective player opinions solely on stats. So, in Boeve's case I was absolutely thrilled to see him hit the ACL ground running and the High-A promotion made quite a bit of sense given his age but it was a very big unknown. After the game 1 back-to-back Wilken/Boeve HR's it felt dreamy. But, that fell back to Earth fairly quickly for Boeve. I use the greater statistical compilations after I've watched players play for significant stretches. So, in his particular case when I started seeing numerous weakly hit dribblers and topped balls and a complete loss of line drives I knew something was up - it was either an uncharacteristic slump; a problem; or he was injured. Unfortunately, the last memory I have of him was botching an very routine groundball up the middle that ultimately cost his team runs and possibly the game. System wide, back to my own approach, I hope the players' stats back what I'm seeing but I try to use both of these to create a complete picture. I am fortunate in that I have the lifestyle and farm set-up to do this - it certainly seems rare (maybe it isn't). I know there are historical trends and probabilities embedded in the statistics (this is most useful, for me, in the DSL and to an extent the ACL where we literally have no ability to see the games) but it is my personal experience that watching of the players means quite a bit more to me in the depth of understanding of who they are as a players - where they might go; what they might be working on; how circumstances and contexts skew things etc. A case and point to this is if you just peaked at, say, RHP Cameron Wagoner's stats you'd probably think he had a woeful 2023. When, in reality he had a fantastic season of development and growth and really solidified himself as a possible breakout candidate in 2024. OR, also in the pitching ranks, how RHP Tanner Shears' wild is a much different wild than a RHP Jesus Rivero or another notch down the ladder a RHP Quinton Low. None of that is really in the stats other than likely comparable FIP's or glaring BB:K anomalies. But, they are not all created equal. And, to once again go back to the pitching ranks, it's why I felt RHP Edwin Jimenez was due for a breakout. I said it all last season that despite his inconsistency his raw stuff was as close to a young RHP Mike Fiers as I've seen in the system since...well Mike Fiers. So, his stretches of brilliance in 2023 were completely unsurprising to me. Who is next in this breakout department for me? Off the top of my head, RHP TJ Shook. Somehow completely off the radar but, man, when he has his location going his change-up and curve play to both sides of the batters box. He has the build too - his lower body is very very developed. I personally think he just tapped into what it could be like for him to be a MLB pitcher last year for the Shuckers. I could very very much see a rise for Shook like we saw with RHP Tobias Myers by season's end - who is very much in play for the Brewers bullpen in 2024 and who may very will get a 40-man spot to protect him from Rule 5. What he did at Nashville in that final week was extremely impressive. And, this after already leading the system in punch outs for 2023. I am very excited to see what both of these young men do in 2024. Anywho, I digress. I think it's clear where I stand in the EBJ/Boeve discourse 🤣
- 20 replies
-
- yophery rodriguez
- logan henderson
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
5 combined walks tonight between EBJ and Clarke in 5 official AB's between the two. Surprise has now won 4 straight and scored double digit runs for the third time in four games beating Mesa 10-2. No Brewers pitched. Mendez was on the pines.- 133 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I know it is my friend and, as always, I greatly look forward to it. My Moore comments, here, are strictly related to the 2023 season - for clarity sake. I didn't rank Moore in my Top 20 (and, by now, you know how I feel about my rankings regardless - throw them in the trash! I'm an old man) but as the season progressed and the sample sizes piled on I grew more fond of what he offered Joe Ayrault and his teammates. Almost always available. Very very capable of playing elite defense at 2B and surprised me with his improved defense at SS - though his range is more limited there due to his size and wingspan he actually took that range to its max as he played it more and more and made several laid out web gems I was definitively not anticipating. His fill in play there was so crucial for the T-Rats in the second half as they made a legitimate run at the post-season. Without his savvy there I don't know they stay steady when EBJ was absent yet again. And, it seemed every time I lamented Moore's early season slump and his low 'hit for average' he would crack another gap double to the wall. I think there's a lot more in his bag than we guesstimate because we plateau'd as his play seemed to taper off. Regardless, he's a really solid 'Ace up the Sleeve' should he ever further advance the bat tool. The wonder of the Brewers system is the massive pool of middle infield prospects ready to make their respective runs over the next several years - from the DSL stateside into High-A. Where these prospect chips fall is indeed one of the most alluring qualities of the system at large. I look at a guy like Moore and he seems like another player in the mold of Patrick Dorrian - Nashville's 'Fan Favorite' award winner in 2023. Another uber-talented player who flied entirely under-the-radar - and, this, in large part, likely due to his massive slump to close out his 2023. Where he lacks the SS capabilities that Moore innately has, Dorrian plays a very very good 3B and a very good 2B. And, when he's not inexplicably mired in a strikeout rut, he hits long balls and gappers like clockwork. Anywho, getting wordy. Off-season and all. Love these reports. Love the conversations. Brewers baseball. 365 days a year.
- 20 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- yophery rodriguez
- logan henderson
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
The Wes Clarke clutch breakout season continues. May this campaign simply never end. May he smash clutch line drive doubles and smash moon shot homers in an improbable 2025 Brewers post-season run to an eventual first World Series championship...where he shall lay the wood to the Yankees averaging three long balls per game in a crushing four game sweep. In addition to playing 1B, C, and crushing from the DH spot throughout this mythological series, 'The Incredible Clarke' will also pitch three shutout innings to close out game 4's 19-0 walloping of the Bronx Bombers. This is the way. It is written in stone.- 133 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Wait a moment. We have Boeve ranked higher than EBJ? Ummm, I'm sorry, but that's a big 'not in my book'. This is the 'danger' (I say this extremely casually) of relying on ACL data and possible draft recency bias. As Sveum alludes to, he will be entirely dependent on his hit tool. In the brief time I was able to watch him on a game-by-game basis at Wisconsin there were plenty more question marks than there were answers. Extremely limited positional flexibility (ie he is a second baseman). Fairly below average arm, by what I witnessed. And (the addendum here is we don't know what actually caused his season to end early), outside his first series at Wisconsin we saw that Exit Velocity and line drive rate plummet. I can personally say, after watching him play in 2023, I ended my viewing and prospect fandom placing Robert Moore above Boeve - despite Moore's generally ho-hum year at the plate. Moore smacked many a double. A larger sample size, yes absolutely, but he drove the ball harder and further with more regularity. AND, in the drop of the hat Moore has very competent capabilities to takeover shortstop duties. I actually ended my own 2023 Minor League viewing campaign questioning what we had in Boeve overall. He obviously needs to stay healthy but his bat will be literally everything and that's a big question mark as he faces increased levels in competition. I could have very easily made 2023 arguments to leave him outside my Top 20. He's not really in the same ball park as EBJ in terms of upside and blue chip prospect speak (in my very humble opinion).
- 20 replies
-
- 3
-
-
- yophery rodriguez
- logan henderson
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I swear I wrote this. The merry-go-round returns to @sveumrules!
- 20 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- yophery rodriguez
- logan henderson
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I would like to again remind us: We have Giannis and Damian Lillard. 🤣 (No Blue Font) I went back and watched his interview with JJ Redick from last year. If you haven't seen this, check it out. He's so so heady in his offensive approach. Has a memory akin to A-Rod. He's just a caliber of guard we haven't seen on the Bucks. I can not wait for this season. On his 71 point game vs Houston last season: "...when I really sat back and thought about it after the game, I should have had 90." Not a lot of NBA players (ever) could say that one.🤣
-
IF we based the 16-20 on actual production in 2023, we'd certainly have questions marks on some of these inclusions. And, well, it's 16-20 and these rankings are always imperfect. Interesting players all around, no less. Blalock: What do we actually have here given the injury track record and a new injury that shelved him while with the Brewers? He is obviously a very intriguing arm but he certainly didn't hit the ground running with the new organization pitching in the Midwest League. Now we have an unknown injury. Let's hope it was an overabundance of caution and more a 'Development List' type of thing. Let's just hope he's healthy to start 2024 and we get a full season to watch a talented young arm develop and flourish. Guilarte: Here we see another injury that marred what began as a fantastic early season. It was almost a certainty Guilarte was going to get on base in the season's early going - his on base streak was a real thing. But, then he suffered an injury and never really stood out thereafter - even after returning from said injury. Given the lack of power, the fairly pedestrian second half of 2023, and the overall middle infield depth throughout the lowest levels of the Brewers organization it feels a fair question to ask: what really sets Guilarte apart? At least, that's a question I will continue to stew on as 2024 begins. Baez really grew on me the more he played in Carolina. What we've heard is the Brewers currently see him as strictly a 3B. I saw steady improvements in his short time with the Mudcats. I really like the swing - he definitely has opposite field power and ability which is always a plus by my eyes. Excited to see 2024. Bitoni, I would imagine, will begin 2023 in Carolina. Of the youngsters in the ACL, he certainly appeared to be the slowest to adjust. This isn't a proclamation of anything - it's such a brief stint post draft and we don't have the opportunity to watch any of these games. It will be very interesting to see this young man play in 2024. I'll be there for it. O'Rae is one of my favorite players to watch in the lower levels. He is just 100 mph and quick as a mouse in everything he does. He doesn't overextend himself on anything and it all looks effortless. If you want a baseline for a diminutive player, you want O'Rae's baseline. He has incredible range at 2B or CF. He is extremely patient and disciplined at the dish. The big thing that will likely dictate how far he goes in his baseball career is how he develops his lower body; how that development impacts his already advanced parts of his game (contact, defense, speed); and how that nurtures more loft and power. He obviously doesn't need to be a HR hitter but we certainly would like to see more powerfully hit line drives. For now, he's a contact heavy spray hitter. Anyhow, as always, my addendum is: these comments and opinions are merely that - current thoughts and opinions. I'm excited for each of these young men in 2024. Let's just hope they stay healthy and keep adding to their games. The sky is the limit and we just don't know how these careers will evolve.
- 6 replies
-
- 4
-
-
- juan baez
- bradley blalock
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
-
2023 Arizona Fall League Thread
Joseph Zarr replied to Ro Mueller's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
A nice piece on RHP Shane Smith - synopsis on his season and what he's working on in the AFL (hint...it slides). Give it a read to see what's cooking for one of the Brewers top-tier relief prospects. On the level of bats in the Arizona Fall League...- 133 replies
-
- eric brown jr
- wes clarke
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Brewers prospect voting, October 2023
Joseph Zarr replied to Brock Beauchamp's topic in Brewers Minor League Talk
You'll like this @CheeseheadInQC: Shane Smith Piece - He's Working on His Slider in Arizona and Has 1 K Already I can attest, by late summer the curve was straight filthy.

