Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
  • Brewer Fanatic's Milwaukee Brewers Trade Deadline Preview: Who's Needed, Who's Available?


    Matthew Trueblood

    The Milwaukee Brewers are alone in first place in the NL Central, and after their emphatic sweep of the Reds in Cincinnati, momentum is on their side. Nothing should stop the Brewers from being aggressive buyers at the trade deadline. So what do they need, and where can they get it?

    Image courtesy of © David Kohl-USA TODAY Sports

    Brewers Video

    Key Team Needs

    The Brewers' infamously anemic offense didn't do much to inspire new confidence, even during a triumphant weekend to open the second half. They scored just eight total runs, against a team who couldn't even line up three respectable starting pitchers coming out of the All-Star break. Harvey's Wallbangers they ain't, and that's not going to change, but Milwaukee badly needs a bat. 

    Finding the position at which to make an upgrade got a bit easier, although in an unhappy way, when Brian Anderson went on the injured list this weekend with a strain in his lower back. Rowdy Tellez also looks to be sidelined for a while, after breaking his finger shagging flies on Saturday. That makes it easy to picture adding a hitter at either infield corner, in right field, or at designated hitter, and at the moment, none of Brice Turange, Andruw Monasterio, and Owen Miller are foreclosing the possibility of doing better at second base.

    All things considered, Turang's and Miller's gloves make it worth leaving the middle infield alone, but the Brewers will be listening even on players who would slot in there.

    No contender is ever fully satisfied with its pitching staff, of course, and with uncertainty still hanging over Brandon Woodruff's recovery from the injury that shelved him in April, the Brewers could look into help in their starting rotation. Given the sheer number of guys they already have to fill out the rotation and their depth, however, it feels much more likely that they pursue an extra relief arm, unless a starter controllable beyond 2024 unexpectedly hits the market.

    Likely Sellers

    Thanks to the ever-expanding playoff field and format, it's still hard to tell exactly who will be buying and selling, and how aggressively they might do so. There's little question about a fistful of teams, however, because they've collapsed so thoroughly as to be virtually eliminated long ago. That group includes the Oakland Athletics, the Kansas City Royals, the Detroit Tigers, the Chicago White Sox, the Washington Nationals, the Colorado Rockies, and the St. Louis Cardinals. It's possible that the Chicago Cubs, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the New York Mets, the Boston Red Sox, the San Diego Padres, the Seattle Mariners, and the Los Angeles Angels could join and double those ranks, though.

    A Fast Survey of Targets

    In the coming days, we'll have lots of breakdowns of specific trade candidates and rumors, and we'll break down the positional possibilities. Right off the bat, though, here are a half-dozen hitters from the teams above who make superficially solid matches with the Brewers' needs.

    • Jeimer Candelario, the third baseman of whom the Nationals made a reclamation project this winter, has had a solid year at the plate and in the field. He's still young, though he'll hit free agency at the end of the season, and the bruised thumb that sidelined him this weekend doesn't seem terribly serious.
    • Eloy Jimenez is under contract with the White Sox through the end of next season, and then they hold two club options on him. That could make it hard to trade for him, but the power upside in his right-handed bat is hard to overlook.
    • Mets outfielder Mark Canha also has an affordable club option, for 2024. The Mets need a shakeup, though, and Canha's approach (on-base skills aplenty, but limited power) could be a nice counterbalance in the middle of the Brewers' lineup.
    • While the complexities of any intradivisional deal might thwart this one, Paul Goldschmidt is an excellent potential fit for the first base void that has so hampered the team.
    • After a stout 2022, A's first baseman and outfielder Seth Brown has had a nightmarish 2023. Buying him now would feel eerily similar to snapping up Tellez a few years ago, though.
    • Teoscar Hernandez hasn't been the star slugger he was last year with the Blue Jays, but the Mariners' unfriendly home park might be part of the problem. Either way, he'd be another interesting middle-of-the-order target.

    Again, there's much more to come on these topics, including updates on the prospect names you might hear most and the more creative possibilities out there. For now, jump into the comments and let us know what you want to see the Brewers emphasize and prioritize as they gear up for an NL Central title run.

    MORE FROM BREWER FANATIC
    — Latest Brewers coverage from our writers
    — Recent Brewers discussion in our forums
    — Follow Brewer Fanatic via Twitter, Facebook or email

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Featured Comments

    clancyphile
  • Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Posted

    Of those listed, Canha is probably my pick: Multi-positional versatility (OF/3B/1B), great OBP skills make him a very valuable bench asset at worst.

    Candelario would be a nice pick-up for the corner IF spots as well, and might be a good extension candidate.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think they end up with Hernandez. Due to his higher salary, upcoming free agency and underperforming I don't think he will cost too much and RF has been a black hole all year. Think he could put up similar numbers to Renfroe last year. Would certainly help against LHP as well. Could also DH if some of these other Brewers outfielders (Taylor/Tapia/Jones/Perkins) start hitting at all.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    They won’t be in on any of those players.

    1.) Canha has a club option for ‘24 at 11.5 million dollars or a 2 million dollar buy out. Doesn’t make sense for Milwaukee, because the Mets are not simply going to give a productive controllable player away, and  the Brewers are unlikely to pick up an 11.5 million dollar club option, and theoretical cost only goes up if the Brewers ask the Mets to kick in cash.

    2.) Hernandez- the Mariners are six games back in their division and five in the wild card, they probably don’t sell with 36 of their remaining 69 games against losing clubs including 9 against KC and Oakland. Milwaukee likely isn’t interested in Hernandez because they already have a litany of low OBP hitters, high strikeout hitters. 
     

    3.) Candelario- would fit nicely on the Brewers but would also fit in Miami, Philadelphia, Minnesota, etc. Therefore, the demand alone will likely make it too rich for the Brewers’ blood. 
     

    4.) Goldschmidt— this one I assumed was a joke. He’s owed 36+ million dollars between now and the end of 2024. So, he’s out for money reasons alone. Plus,  Goldschmidt has 10/5 rights, so even if the Cardinals want to trade him, he gets to decide for whom he plays. 
     

    Eloy Jimenez- this one also falls into the category of an assumed joke. A 26 year old hitter with a career OPS of .822 and under contract for 3+ seasons. The Brewers GM already said they’re not going to trade the future for players at the deadline, which is likely the type of capital it would take to get the White Sox to even listen. 
     

    Finally, Seth Brown - another low OBP hitter who smacks some homers. The Brewers would simply be ahead to wait for Rowdy and Anderson to get healthy than trade for another player of the same skill set.

    I don’t expect much from the Brewers at the deadline- probably some low profile relief pitchers, maybe someone like Tommy Pham or flawed players who have one of the traits the Brewers look for: defensive versatility, ability to hit LHP, low strike out numbers. 

    • Disagree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Odd how the concept of C.J. Cron provokes such apathy amongst Brewer fans. He's heating up and getting healthy, and presumably wouldn't cost anything significant as a rental.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

    They won’t be in on any of those players.

    1.) Canha has a club option for ‘24 at 11.5 million dollars or a 2 million dollar buy out. Doesn’t make sense for Milwaukee, because the Mets are not simply going to give a productive controllable player away, and  the Brewers are unlikely to pick up an 11.5 million dollar club option, and theoretical cost only goes up if the Brewers ask the Mets to kick in cash.

    2.) Hernandez- the Mariners are six games back in their division and five in the wild card, they probably don’t sell with 36 of their remaining 69 games against losing clubs including 9 against KC and Oakland. Milwaukee likely isn’t interested in Hernandez because they already have a litany of low OBP hitters, high strikeout hitters. 
     

    3.) Candelario- would fit nicely on the Brewers but would also fit in Miami, Philadelphia, Minnesota, etc. Therefore, the demand alone will likely make it too rich for the Brewers’ blood. 
     

    4.) Goldschmidt— this one I assumed was a joke. He’s owed 36+ million dollars between now and the end of 2024. So, he’s out for money reasons alone. Plus,  Goldschmidt has 10/5 rights, so even if the Cardinals want to trade him, he gets to decide for whom he plays. 
     

    Eloy Jimenez- this one also falls into the category of an assumed joke. A 26 year old hitter with a career OPS of .822 and under contract for 3+ seasons. The Brewers GM already said they’re not going to trade the future for players at the deadline, which is likely the type of capital it would take to get the White Sox to even listen. 
     

    Finally, Seth Brown - another low OBP hitter who smacks some homers. The Brewers would simply be ahead to wait for Rowdy and Anderson to get healthy than trade for another player of the same skill set.

    I don’t expect much from the Brewers at the deadline- probably some low profile relief pitchers, maybe someone like Tommy Pham or flawed players who have one of the traits the Brewers look for: defensive versatility, ability to hit LHP, low strike out numbers. 

    You've taken a very pessimistic to the Brewers perspective view on every item you've mentioned here. You might try to say you're attempting to take an unbiased viewpoint, but it seems very skewed intentionally away from us.

    Canha, he's 34, he's on an $11.5M deal this year and has the noted option for next year. As primarily a below average defensively corner outfielder, he's cracked 800 OPS once in his career, 5 years ago. I'm not so sure there's going to be a line of people wanting to pay him $11.5M next year. I don't really want the Brewers to get him because I'd prefer we aim higher, the argument that a deal can't happen because he's a controllable talented player is a weird argument.

    Hernandez, I agreed with this until you're snarky comment about the Brewers litany of low OBP high K hitters. We don't actually have a lot of players that fit that mold, a few guys have underperformed this season and have low OBP for that reason...but we don't have many that, when things are going right, are in the 28-30% k rate with OBP under 320.

    Jimenez, are there really going to be teams lining up for an 822 OPS(5.6 WAR over 5 years) that's having a down year, has struggled to stay healthy his entire career, and will be quite expensive next year and even moreso if the options are exercised(16.5 and 18.5). His cost would likely not be nearly as high as you think, but for that reason he also probably doesn't move because I don't think the White Sox are inclined to sell low.

    How would you say low strike out numbers is a trait the Brewers look for when you previously commented on our litany of high strikeout hitters? Sounds like you contradicted yourself in your own post. I also don't really see the Brewers targeting pitchers, we have quite a few reinforcements coming and pitching has been a strength.

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    17 minutes ago, Sakatarama said:

    Odd how the concept of C.J. Cron provokes such apathy amongst Brewer fans. He's heating up and getting healthy, and presumably wouldn't cost anything significant as a rental.

    Rockies made zero trades last deadline and only one minor move at each of the 2021 and 2019 deadlines.

    Cron has hit decent since returning from injury, but it’s only 50 PAs of 113 wRC+ versus 148 PAs of 72 wRC+ before the injury.

    Add it all up and he’s at 84 wRC+ and -0.3 WAR on the year.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    12 minutes ago, KeithStone53151 said:

    You've taken a very pessimistic to the Brewers perspective view on every item you've mentioned here. You might try to say you're attempting to take an unbiased viewpoint, but it seems very skewed intentionally away from us.

    Canha, he's 34, he's on an $11.5M deal this year and has the noted option for next year. As primarily a below average defensively corner outfielder, he's cracked 800 OPS once in his career, 5 years ago. I'm not so sure there's going to be a line of people wanting to pay him $11.5M next year. I don't really want the Brewers to get him because I'd prefer we aim higher, the argument that a deal can't happen because he's a controllable talented player is a weird argument.

    Hernandez, I agreed with this until you're snarky comment about the Brewers litany of low OBP high K hitters. We don't actually have a lot of players that fit that mold, a few guys have underperformed this season and have low OBP for that reason...but we don't have many that, when things are going right, are in the 28-30% k rate with OBP under 320.

    Jimenez, are there really going to be teams lining up for an 822 OPS(5.6 WAR over 5 years) that's having a down year, has struggled to stay healthy his entire career, and will be quite expensive next year and even moreso if the options are exercised(16.5 and 18.5). His cost would likely not be nearly as high as you think, but for that reason he also probably doesn't move because I don't think the White Sox are inclined to sell low.

    How would you say low strike out numbers is a trait the Brewers look for when you previously commented on our litany of high strikeout hitters? Sounds like you contradicted yourself in your own post. I also don't really see the Brewers targeting pitchers, we have quite a few reinforcements coming and pitching has been a strength.

    TBF, this poster has been pounding the sell drum the whole season. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    39 minutes ago, KeithStone53151 said:

    You've taken a very pessimistic to the Brewers perspective view on every item you've mentioned here. You might try to say you're attempting to take an unbiased viewpoint, but it seems very skewed intentionally away from us.

    Canha, he's 34, he's on an $11.5M deal this year and has the noted option for next year. As primarily a below average defensively corner outfielder, he's cracked 800 OPS once in his career, 5 years ago. I'm not so sure there's going to be a line of people wanting to pay him $11.5M next year. I don't really want the Brewers to get him because I'd prefer we aim higher, the argument that a deal can't happen because he's a controllable talented player is a weird argument.

    Hernandez, I agreed with this until you're snarky comment about the Brewers litany of low OBP high K hitters. We don't actually have a lot of players that fit that mold, a few guys have underperformed this season and have low OBP for that reason...but we don't have many that, when things are going right, are in the 28-30% k rate with OBP under 320.

    Jimenez, are there really going to be teams lining up for an 822 OPS(5.6 WAR over 5 years) that's having a down year, has struggled to stay healthy his entire career, and will be quite expensive next year and even moreso if the options are exercised(16.5 and 18.5). His cost would likely not be nearly as high as you think, but for that reason he also probably doesn't move because I don't think the White Sox are inclined to sell low.

    How would you say low strike out numbers is a trait the Brewers look for when you previously commented on our litany of high strikeout hitters? Sounds like you contradicted yourself in your own post. I also don't really see the Brewers targeting pitchers, we have quite a few reinforcements coming and pitching has been a strength.

    It’s not pessimism, it’s realism. Who did the Brewers add at the deadline last year? Matt Bush and Trevor Rosenthal were picked up for essentially nothing. They added Taylor Rogers as part of the Hader deal. 
     

    In ‘21 they added Escobar for essentially nothing again, and Daniel Norris for Reese Olson, who has been a nice surprise this year, but at the time was a High A pitcher without eye popping stats. 

    So in my opinion expecting them to land a big name player or two is a little unrealistic in light of how they have operated in the past and their own GM’s recent comments. 

    As to Canha the argument is not that he’s controllable for ‘24, its price. He’s still owed 5+ million or so this year and a 2 million buyout (That’s not cheap for a team like Milwaukee). Second, because he’s not a rental, it is not the same as the typical situation where non-contenders are shipping out expiring contracts to avoid cost. It’s not pessimistic, the reality is there doesn’t seem to be much surplus value there.

    As for Hernandez, check the stat sheet the Brewers have Tellez, Turang, Adames, Wiemer, Perkins and Tapia as regular or semi-regular players all with OBPs under .300. Tellez, Adames, Turang and Wiemer are all striking out at or close to a 40% clip. That’s half the line up.

    Elloy Jimenez a 26 year old with 83 homers in 378 MLB games and under contract through 2026 is going to have incredible value even if he’s hurt almost as often as Buxton in Minnesota. That’s why the White Sox aren’t likely going to move him, he’s part of their core and they’re going to retool for ‘24 not tear it down.
     

    As for the final comments, if you don’t think the Brewers are shopping for relief pitching  then I wonder how closely you follow baseball. All contenders shop for it and the Brewers specifically add it every July when they’re a buyer:  Bush, Rosenthal, Rogers, Norris, Curtiss, Lyles, Pomeranz, Gio Gonzalez, Soria, K-Rod, Broxton, Linebrink etc etc.

    Finally, of course they’re going to look to add contact hitters because they already have too many players that have trouble making contact.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    • Disagree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    13 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

    It’s not pessimism, it’s realism. Who did the Brewers add at the deadline last year? Matt Bush and Trevor Rosenthal were picked up for essentially nothing. They added Taylor Rogers as part of the Hader deal. 
     

    In ‘21 they added Escobar for essentially nothing again, and Daniel Norris for Reese Olson, who has been a nice surprise this year, but at the time was a High A pitcher without eye popping stats. 

    So in my opinion expecting them to land a big name player or two is a little unrealistic in light of how they have operated in the past and their own GM’s recent comments. 

    As to Canha the argument is not that he’s controllable for ‘24, its price. He’s still owed 5+ million or so this year and a 2 million buyout (That’s not cheap for a team like Milwaukee). Second, because he’s not a rental, it is not the same as the typical situation where non-contenders are shipping out expiring contracts to avoid cost. It’s not pessimistic, the reality is there doesn’t seem to be much surplus value there.

    As for Hernandez, check the stat sheet the Brewers have Tellez, Turang, Adames, Wiemer, Perkins and Tapia as regular or semi-regular players all with OBPs under .300. Tellez, Adames, Turang and Wiemer are all striking out at or close to a 40% clip. That’s half the line up.

    Elloy Jimenez a 26 year old with 83 homers in 378 MLB games and under contract through 2026 is going to have incredible value even if he’s hurt almost as often as Buxton in Minnesota. That’s why the White Sox aren’t likely going to move him, he’s part of their core and they’re going to retool for ‘24 not tear it down.
     

    As for the final comments, if you don’t think the Brewers are shopping for relief pitching  then I wonder how closely you follow baseball. All contenders shop for it and the Brewers specifically add it every July when they’re a buyer:  Bush, Rosenthal, Rogers, Norris, Curtiss, Lyles, Pomeranz, Gio Gonzalez, Soria, K-Rod, Broxton, Linebrink etc etc.

    Finally, of course they’re going to look to add contact hitters because they already have too many players that have trouble making contact.

     

    The Brewers situation this year is entirely different to prior years when we've targeted relievers. In the next few weeks, we'll be wanting to add 2-3 mlb arms and not have 2-3 guys that deserve to be sent down. Ashby, Lauer, Strezlecki, etc could come  back once healthy or once they re-figure it out later in August as well. We're in a much different spot than last year, where sometimes we had trouble getting the ball to Williams/Hader...and also specifically considering we traded Hader for value. It's certainly possible we add one arm, but I doubt it and think it's more likely we utilize all outgoing resources to improve run production.

    Canha could effectively be a rental if nobody wants him for $11.5M. It's very possible that's the case as he enters his age 35 season. Also the season is more than half over, any acquiring team would owe closer to 1/3 of his salary if traded at the deadline.

    You're completely missing the point on Hernandez in that you're mischaracterizing the Brewers hitters. Hernandez has had a successful career with a lowish OBP and near 30% k rate. That profile works when you can hit for average and power. The Brewers don't have a "litany" of players that fit that profile. Of the guys you mentioned, Tapia/Perkins is lazy and you know it. They are below replacement level players due to injuries and will be replaced before the deadline. Turang is not a low OBP high k hitters, he hasn't been in the minors and once established won't have that type of profile. Tellez and Adames both have higher career OBP and lower career k rate than Hernandez. Wiemer could have a fairly similar profile to Hernandez with the primary difference being a GG defender while Hernandez is meh on defense. Bottom line, we don't have a "litany" of hitters that profile similar to Hernandez. We have a few guys with lower OBP's due to underperforming or being below replacement level players is a much more accurate characterization.

    Jimenez, so you pick one stat(which as a stand alone stat doesn't say much) to justify him as this super valuable commodity. I'll add another, because I'm a helper. Jimenez has 251 rbi in 378 games. That would be 108 over a full season. What a player! You completely and conveniently ignore the fact that his controlled seasons are all going to be expensive. The option aspect has value, but if he hits to career norms and you exercise the options you're paying a DH $50M over 3 years to post a low 800s OPS. That's maybe market value? Maybe? What's a 1.5 WAR DH worth anyway? I bet the Brewers could entice the White Sox for far less than you think, if we were inclined.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

    Rockies made zero trades last deadline and only one minor move at each of the 2021 and 2019 deadlines.

    Cron has hit decent since returning from injury, but it’s only 50 PAs of 113 wRC+ versus 148 PAs of 72 wRC+ before the injury.

    Add it all up and he’s at 84 wRC+ and -0.3 WAR on the year.

    I think Cron will be fine if he's healthy; he's probably one of my top three realistic targets for the Brewers.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    41 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:
     

    Tellez, Adames, Turang and Wiemer are all striking out at or close to a 40% clip. That’s half the line up.

    Tellez: 69 K / 288 PA = 24.0 K%
    Adames: 89 K / 362 PA = 24.6 K%
    Turang: 55 K / 230 PA = 23.9 K%
    Wiemer: 87 K / 313 PA = 27.8 K%

    • Like 5
    • WHOA SOLVDD 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    10 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

    Tellez: 69 K / 288 PA = 24.0 K%
    Adames: 89 K / 362 PA = 24.6 K%
    Turang: 55 K / 230 PA = 23.9 K%
    Wiemer: 87 K / 313 PA = 27.8 K%

    Not to mention each of them are actually trending even better than that the last 30 days:

    Tellez: 18.2 K%
    Adames: 19.6 K%
    Turang: 13.2 K%
    Wiemer: 22.4 K%

    Not sure where "at or close to a 40% clip" came from...

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    21 minutes ago, homer said:

    I don't think this is going to happen but you get a bullpen guy + Woodruff back and don't give up a thing:

    They touched on this during the latest MKE Tailgate podcast with @Smichaelis9 and I agree with their take:

    It doesn't make sense to derail Misiorowski's development - he is probably a top ten pitching prospect after the season - for 25 innings out of the bullpen. You keep that guy on his development schedule and do not deviate from it. He's simply too good and potentially too valuable.

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Lets take a look at two recent trades to shore up the offense. When they acquired Adames, he was a regular at TB but was blocking one of the top prospects in baseball. Tellez was a former starter (or semi-regular) who was relegated to the minors largely due to being passed up by Vlad JR. While I follow the Brewers' system closely I'm not as attuned to other teams' prospects as I once was. Any vets pushed out (or about to be) by a phenom? That might be a list to scour. It also most likely would be someone that wouldn't cost one of your better prospects, which rightfully is important to Arnold.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    11 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

    They touched on this during the latest MKE Tailgate podcast with @Smichaelis9 and I agree with their take:

    It doesn't make sense to derail Misiorowski's development - he is probably a top ten pitching prospect after the season - for 25 innings out of the bullpen. You keep that guy on his development schedule and do not deviate from it. He's simply too good and potentially too valuable.

    Looks like Misio threw 78 IP last year between JC and Carolina. He’s at 51 IP this year if you count the Futures Game.

    Say 6-7 starts at AA is another 30-ish IP. Depending how that goes it could line him up for a late August call up with prolly 25 IP or so left before they’d want to shut him down for the season.

    Agree it’s a long shot between the pitchers we should have coming back and the deadline approaching, but throwing those last couple dozen IP of the season from the MLB bullpen could end up being better for his development than throwing them in the AA rotation.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    16 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

    They touched on this during the latest MKE Tailgate podcast with @Smichaelis9 and I agree with their take:

    It doesn't make sense to derail Misiorowski's development - he is probably a top ten pitching prospect after the season - for 25 innings out of the bullpen. You keep that guy on his development schedule and do not deviate from it. He's simply too good and potentially too valuable.

    The scenarios that involve Misiorowski coming up in late August would involve probably 4 or 5 relievers/starters either getting hurt or completely losing it and getting creamed...in between the trade deadline and August 31. That scenario would also include Misiorowski being healthy/effective/improving over the next 2 months. It's tough to imagine all those things lining up. Also worth noting, Misiorowski is probably going to have a fairly low innings limit and having a young guy potentially pitching into late October and starting ramp up again in early March is not great for a young electric arm.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    7 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

    Looks like Misio threw 78 IP last year between JC and Carolina. He’s at 51 IP this year if you count the Futures Game.

    Say 6-7 starts at AA is another 30-ish IP. Depending how that goes it could line him up for a late August call up with prolly 25 IP or so left before they’d want to shut him down for the season.

    Agree it’s a long shot between the pitchers we should have coming back and the deadline approaching, but throwing those last couple dozen IP of the season from the MLB bullpen could end up being better for his development than throwing them in the AA rotation.

    It's possible, though I'll leave that for the Brewers to decide, obvi.

    One aspect of moving him directly into a MLB bullpen is that he's going to change his pitch mix and probably drop/decrease at least one pitch's use. That in itself changes his development quite a bit.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yuck, if these are the kinds of bats they are going to be looking at, then why even bother? Not a single one of these guys are a needle mover. Slight upgrade? Possibly. Go big or go home. You might say, "there are no big bats available". There are if you offer enough. Everyone has a price. Since the Brewers refuse to sign big bats in FA, then it's long past time they acquire one(or two) via trade. Now, add one of these guys to a headliner bat? Sure, I guess that would be fine. But not if they are your main options. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, KeithStone53151 said:

    The Brewers situation this year is entirely different to prior years when we've targeted relievers. In the next few weeks, we'll be wanting to add 2-3 mlb arms and not have 2-3 guys that deserve to be sent down. Ashby, Lauer, Strezlecki, etc could come  back once healthy or once they re-figure it out later in August as well. We're in a much different spot than last year, where sometimes we had trouble getting the ball to Williams/Hader...and also specifically considering we traded Hader for value. It's certainly possible we add one arm, but I doubt it and think it's more likely we utilize all outgoing resources to improve run production.

    Canha could effectively be a rental if nobody wants him for $11.5M. It's very possible that's the case as he enters his age 35 season. Also the season is more than half over, any acquiring team would owe closer to 1/3 of his salary if traded at the deadline.

    You're completely missing the point on Hernandez in that you're mischaracterizing the Brewers hitters. Hernandez has had a successful career with a lowish OBP and near 30% k rate. That profile works when you can hit for average and power. The Brewers don't have a "litany" of players that fit that profile. Of the guys you mentioned, Tapia/Perkins is lazy and you know it. They are below replacement level players due to injuries and will be replaced before the deadline. Turang is not a low OBP high k hitters, he hasn't been in the minors and once established won't have that type of profile. Tellez and Adames both have higher career OBP and lower career k rate than Hernandez. Wiemer could have a fairly similar profile to Hernandez with the primary difference being a GG defender while Hernandez is meh on defense. Bottom line, we don't have a "litany" of hitters that profile similar to Hernandez. We have a few guys with lower OBP's due to underperforming or being below replacement level players is a much more accurate characterization.

    Jimenez, so you pick one stat(which as a stand alone stat doesn't say much) to justify him as this super valuable commodity. I'll add another, because I'm a helper. Jimenez has 251 rbi in 378 games. That would be 108 over a full season. What a player! You completely and conveniently ignore the fact that his controlled seasons are all going to be expensive. The option aspect has value, but if he hits to career norms and you exercise the options you're paying a DH $50M over 3 years to post a low 800s OPS. That's maybe market value? Maybe? What's a 1.5 WAR DH worth anyway? I bet the Brewers could entice the White Sox for far less than you think, if we were inclined.

     

    But their situation is no different, they add arms every year. Why? Exactly for the reason you cite,  so not to burn down the reliable back end guys, and to not have to count on Uribe, Strzelecki, Lauer or players like Ashby potentially coming back from a major arm/shoulder injury. 

    If you really believe they are going to drastically remake their lineup at the deadline, I can only say prepare to be disappointed you haven’t been paying attention to how the team truly operates. 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    6 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

    But their situation is no different, they add arms every year. Why? Exactly for the reason you cite,  so not to burn down the reliable back end guys, and to not have to count on Uribe, Strzelecki, Lauer or players like Ashby potentially coming back from a major arm/shoulder injury. 

    If you really believe they are going to drastically remake their lineup at the deadline, I can only say prepare to be disappointed you haven’t been paying attention to how the team truly operates. 

     

    Because we have all these hitters striking out 40% of the time right?

    It's also worth noting we have a different GM this year...

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    50 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

    But their situation is no different, they add arms every year. Why? Exactly for the reason you cite,  so not to burn down the reliable back end guys, and to not have to count on Uribe, Strzelecki, Lauer or players like Ashby potentially coming back from a major arm/shoulder injury. 

    If you really believe they are going to drastically remake their lineup at the deadline, I can only say prepare to be disappointed you haven’t been paying attention to how the team truly operates. 

     

    Here are our top ten players by number of PAs with their wRC+ at the ASB last year…

    Yelich (108 wRC+), Tellez (110 wRC+), Cutch (98 wRC+), Adames (114 wRC+), Wong (97 wRC+), Urias (99 wRC+), Jace (113 wRC+), Renfroe (113 wRC+), Taylor (94 wRC+) and Omar (95 wRC+)

    Ten guys at or around league average. Hard to make meaningful gains there.

    Here are our top ten players this year by number of PAs with their ASB wRC+…

    Yelich (128 wRC+), Adames (91 wRC+), Anderson (90 wRC+), Wiemer (88 wRC+), Contreras (112 wRC+), Rowdy (79 wRC+), Miller (98 wRC+), Turang (55 wRC+), Winker (69 wRC+), Caratini (105 wRC+).

    There are a three easy spots to upgrade there compared to last year.

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    4 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

    They touched on this during the latest MKE Tailgate podcast with @Smichaelis9 and I agree with their take:

    It doesn't make sense to derail Misiorowski's development - he is probably a top ten pitching prospect after the season - for 25 innings out of the bullpen. You keep that guy on his development schedule and do not deviate from it. He's simply too good and potentially too valuable.

    Put him on the Burnes/Woodruff plan. We need to take shots when we have shots. We have a shot this year and he could be 6th/ 7th inning guy.
    Development for elite arms like him could be challenging him in relief at MLB level rather than racking up more inning late in a AA season.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

    Because we have all these hitters striking out 40% of the time right?

    It's also worth noting we have a different GM this year...

    “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss”…

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 hours ago, sveumrules said:

    Here are our top ten players by number of PAs with their wRC+ at the ASB last year…

    Yelich (108 wRC+), Tellez (110 wRC+), Cutch (98 wRC+), Adames (114 wRC+), Wong (97 wRC+), Urias (99 wRC+), Jace (113 wRC+), Renfroe (113 wRC+), Taylor (94 wRC+) and Omar (95 wRC+)

    Ten guys at or around league average. Hard to make meaningful gains there.

    Here are our top ten players this year by number of PAs with their ASB wRC+…

    Yelich (128 wRC+), Adames (91 wRC+), Anderson (90 wRC+), Wiemer (88 wRC+), Contreras (112 wRC+), Rowdy (79 wRC+), Miller (98 wRC+), Turang (55 wRC+), Winker (69 wRC+), Caratini (105 wRC+).

    There are a three easy spots to upgrade there compared to last year.

    Ok, I don’t know what the point is in relation to my post? Could they upgrade their hitters sure, never said they couldn’t.

    What matters is when the GM says most improvement is going to have to come from within, and they do not intend to trade from tomorrow. That means, to me anyways, they’re going bargain hunting at the deadline: players they can get in exchange for offering some salary relief and 2nd tier prospects

    Are they going to get starting caliber position players when that’s what they have to shop with? Time will tell, but I’m not holding my breath. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites




    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...