Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Thurston Fluff

Verified Member
  • Posts

    5,786
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Thurston Fluff

  1. If we never give out a $100 million plus deal that goes five years or longer (indexed to inflation) I'm perfectly fine with that. I've accepted we have players for five years then need to trade them a long time ago. I think it's the best way to run a successful small market baseball team. I believe it's not only possible to win a championship that way but it's the best way to do so.
  2. If we never give out a $100 million plus deal that goes five years or longer (indexed to inflation) I'm perfectly fine with that. I've accepted we have players for five years then need to trade them a long time ago. I think it's the best way to run a successful small market baseball team. I believe it's not only possible to win a championship that way but it's the best way to do so.
  3. Yes he would. But if he signed a long term contract after his rookie year he'd also have cost more than Peralta did. Now we'd be on the hook for that throughout the contract. As it is we can let him go anytime without further cost. Monty57 used Peralta's contract and said if Huria had that contract he'd be affordable now which is true. But he was not going to sign that contract. Peralta signed that before he became an all star. Ditto for Ashby. Signing young players who've already been successful is not the same as signing young players who's potential has yet to be realized. Which is why I'm saying lets pump the brakes on extending guys who've yet to play a single game for us and are going to cost more than players who we knew was a fit here and were cheap to extend.
  4. If the deal is about the same as they get in arbitration what's the financial advantage? It seems like getting an extra year or so of control is offset by not being able to decline arbitration if they're going to be more costly than they're worth. Like I said I'm not against doing it but I also think people are starting to get carried away with how beneficial it is.
  5. I know signing young players early is the new mantra around here but it isn't without risks of it's own. We tried to sign Jonathan Villar after his breakout season in 2016. Luckily he refused. Can you imagine if the Brewers upped the anti enough to get that deal done? Similarly, can you imagine what would have happened if they signed Huira to a long term contract after his rookie year? I'm fine with doing it to some extent but lets not pretend every young player who had a year or two of success is worth the price. IT isn't like we totally lose out if Adames, Burnes or Woodruff don't sign extensions. We can still trade them and get some nice controllable players in return. After all a year and a half of Hader turned into an all star catcher with five years of control and a decent pitching prospect with six years of control. I don't see how it's that much worse than the risk of having signed those three to affordable deals that buy an extra year or two of team control only to have them turn into Villar or Huira.
  6. Dude is one of my all time favorites mostly because he was so overlooked for how good he was.
  7. This article would have been better had it focused on talking to Yelich about accepting a trade. If they approach Yelich and asked him who he would waive his no trade clause for we'd at least know which teams not to waste our time talking to. Personally I don't think he'd accept any trade. In generally there are few markets that have as tolerant a media or fan base for under performing athletes than Milwaukee. Less so for a player who has no past performance legacy for the team. He'd be going to a place where he didn't have any good will built up and expose himself to all kinds of grief.
  8. For the most part I'm with you on this. If he signs a deal that buys out his last two years of arbitration and adds a year to it I'd be ok with it. The cost certainty has value and it wouldn't be so long that the final years are bound to be negative in value. If it becomes essentially a free agent deal that extends him long term then not so much.
  9. Without knowing the parameters of a deal it's hard to judge if it's worth it. I don't think they'd be able to sign him and one of Woodruff and Burnes so it might be a sign they know they can't extend either of them.
  10. I could see them trading Adames the same way they traded Grisham. His power over on base profile as a batter is ok on a team that isn't made up of mostly similar types. Turang may not have the power but he hits for average and gets on base. We need more of that. Adames could very well get us a legit third baseman. He doesn't need to be a 30-40 HR guy. 20ish HR power who can also hit for average fits our offensive needs better. I'd love to see a couple more guys who hit in that .280 range to go along with our power bats. That gives Urias second and Turang at short. Our defense stays strong and we get a more diverse offense.
  11. I could see them trading Adames the same way they traded Grisham. His power over on base profile as a batter is ok on a team that isn't made up of mostly similar types. Turang may not have the power but he hits for average and gets on base. We need more of that. Adames could very well get us a legit third baseman. He doesn't need to be a 30-40 HR guy. 20ish HR power who can also hit for average fits our offensive needs better. I'd love to see a couple more guys who hit in that .280 range to go along with our power bats. That gives Urias second and Turang at short. Our defense stays strong and we get a more diverse offense.
  12. Given the likelihood of rebuilding the farm via trades of at least some of Hader, Woodfuff, Burnes, Lauer and others in the near future I'm more comfortable trading more farm talent that I usually am. If they aren't named Chourio lets talk. Not a fan of rentals for top level talent but if there's some team control beyond this season all the more reason to let some upper level prospects go.
  13. Given the likelihood of rebuilding the farm via trades of at least some of Hader, Woodfuff, Burnes, Lauer and others in the near future I'm more comfortable trading more farm talent that I usually am. If they aren't named Chourio lets talk. Not a fan of rentals for top level talent but if there's some team control beyond this season all the more reason to let some upper level prospects go.
  14. I cut the cord as soon as streaming became tenable. The only reason I was thinking of keeping dish was for Brewers games. Then I realized I really only ever watched west coast night games anyway. As you said, it lends itself to radio very well and who the hell wants to be sitting in the house watching tv in Summer?
  15. The new team rankings for NCAA wrestling came out. As per usual the Big Ten dominates with ten teams in the top twenty five and seven in the top 10 (including Wisconsin at number nine.) The top three all come from the Big Ten. That a Big Ten team will become national champions isn't even a question at this point. The only remaining debate worth having is what's the highest place a team not from the Big Ten will take?
  16. There is a guy who orders something for every holiday to the same person living in a group home for a couple years running now. I took the order for Thanksgiving and while casually talking to him I asked how he knew this person. He said he didn't actually know her. He had a disabled family member who lived in a group home and always felt sorry for some of the others there who never had any visitors or get any presents. When his family member passed away he decided to call the group home and ask about someone there who never got anything or any visitors. They gave him her name and he's been sending something to her ever since. This Thanksgiving I'm thankful there are people like him in the world.
  17. The brutality is the run itself. For hundreds of years, every bull has been tortured and killed in this ridiculous tradition. There are humane ways of killing livestock, but people like to do it this way. So if some dope gets gored, I shed no tears. When I was in Italy there was a bull fight on tv. I watched a total of about five minutes and was horrified at how brutal it was. They don't just let a bull out and have a matador fight him with a cape and sword. That at least would be a fair fight even if the bull had no choice. But that''s not how it works. First the matador rides a horse and uses spears to stick the bull to the point where the blood loss takes enough of a toll on it to make it calm enough for the matador to get off the horse and use the cape and sword. It's like 90% dead before that happens. It's not like I'm squeamish or a major animals rights guy or anything. I helped butcher several types of animal including cows, pigs, deer, rabbits, ducks and chickens from start to finish. I personally think everyone who eats meat should do so at least once so they know what it takes to eat an animal. But never would have I thought people would enjoy seeing an animal tortured before it's killed like that.
  18. Summer of Soul was awesome. I loved some of the background stories and the music was second to none. Several times I felt like standing up and joining in.
  19. I don't know if it's as easy as to see what they do there and think that was what they'd do here. Do players get pushed in their new team in a way that is detrimental to them? Was there something one team did that made them better at dealing with certain players? We've all seen players suddenly do well after a mover and vice versa. Obviously I'm not saying those guys would have been great, or even average here but it's not as simple as saying since they all busted there the same would have happened here.
  20. I hate to de that guy but he's young, has an option and Stearns seems to be a guy who isn't afraid of soft tossers. It has nothing to do with his history here but he seems like the type Stearns may have interest in.
  21. That is mesmerizing... You can't watch that video without realizing that these guys truly believe in what they are doing! Thanks for the link, I might have to check into these guys. Wish it was in English, but still very cool! Try this version with Jacoby Shaddix. I think they plan on releasing an album with english singers on it. I know Lzzy Hale did one with them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnVTBzyX1c
  22. I've been getting into these guys lately.
  23. Diaz has had a phenomenal season in AAA so far. He deserves it. He's well on his way to being a top 100 again. At least Brinson is floundering. You don't want the team you traded with to go 4 for 4. compare Diaz's 2019 in AAA to Saladino's, and you'll soon realize a TON of minor leaguers are having a phenomenal 2019. Including Diaz in that trade meant the Brewers were committed to Hiura at 2B instead of Diaz since their development timeframes were essentially identical - I'll make that same decision every single time. Until all these prospects actually become productive everyday MLB players, it's way too early to heap praise on them. In fact I'd say the odds are still stacked towards only one or possibly 2 of these four prospects developing into an MLB starter that has a career that reaches through the 1st 6 years of team control and into unrestricted free agency. That pretty much means the Brewers robbed the Marlins of one of the top 5 players in the entire world through his prime, who is making less than most veteran #5 starters. I don't think that means the Brewers robbed them at all. I doubt any team trades for that many minor leaguers thinking all of them are going to pan out. They get that many so they have a better chance of getting any of them to pan out. Then there is the issue of timing. If one pans out during a span where the Marlins have other young talent hitting their stride that one player will do far more towards them actually winning something than Yelich was going to do over the life of his contract when there was little else on the team to help them win. The timing of a prospect's arrival I think plays at least as important a role as overall productivity.
  24. Didn't Yelich specifically say he wasn't going to tinker with his swing? From an article on Brew crew ball I read he actually hasn't changed his swing as much as the timing of his swing. That could just be coincidence or it could be something the Brewers do that spotted it that Miami doesn't. I do think though that there has to be something to all this new stuff the Brewers are doing that changed from what they used to do. Or what other teams who aren't having as much success do.
  25. This is something I've thought about for a while now. How much credit/blame goes to the new club for that change? Miami might just not have the same level of scouting, coaching or analytics the Brewers have so the players involved might not perform the same as if they had been with the original club. Would Brinson have struggled the same here as he has there for example? That to me is the one thing we can't know when assessing the success of a trade. Obviously Miami has had success in developing top talent players but how much success has the Jeter era really had?
×
×
  • Create New...