Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

BruisedCrew

Verified Member
  • Posts

    9,097
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    8

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by BruisedCrew

  1. Has anyone seen anything new on Frelick? The last I saw was that the Brewers are looking at “long term solutions” for his knee problem but for now he is just resting it.
  2. Strider really hasn't been that overpowering this year. Surely he can't slow the Brewers juggernaut.
  3. It's not exactly that. Hazle was a 26 year old minor leaguer who had had a few ABs with the Reds in 1955.When the Braves had a rash of injuries to outfielders, Hazle was called up to the Braves in late July. He had had some success in AAA, but nobody was prepared for the "hurricane" he created when he came up. As a left handed batter he played almost exclusively against RHP. Baseball Reference says that only 6 of his 155 plate appearances were against lefties. But in his first 66 PA he produced a BA of .526 , 5 HR and an OPS of 1.473. After that he cooled some, but still produced a BA of .312 the rest of the way to finish with a BA of.403 and an OPS of 1.126 in 155 PAs. In the World Series (the only playoffs in those days) he saw limited action because the Yankees started LHP in several games and Hazle was often removed for defense in later innings or for a pinch hitter if a LHP came in. He did manage to go 2 for 13 in the series, with those 2 hits coming in the seventh game. He scored one run in the Braves 5-0 win. The next season everyone expected Hazle to be a fixture on the roster, but the career minor leaguer reverted to form. After a slow start for the Braves (6 for 56) and no real place for him with the return of the players who had been injured in 1957 (most notably CF Billy Bruton) he was traded to the Tigers. After failing to catch fire there he was sent to the minors and never returned to MLB.
  4. No need to worry about that now. Don’t want to see Hurricane Andrew fall apart like Hurricane Hazle did for the Braves. Old timers familiar with the Milwaukee Braves of 1957 will recognize that reference.
  5. I wouldn’t consider wanting a team to,play its best players except for occasional rest days as getting bent out of shape.
  6. I wouldn’t make that assumption. The Brewers often wait a few days to see how a player responds to some treatment and for a physician’s evaluation before putting him on the IL. The latest example. Chourio was hurt on Tuesday and was out of the lineup, but not put on the IL, on Wednesday.
  7. I’m not in the crowd complaining about the HR. But I am in the crowd that thinks the Brewers should have been more aggressive about getting an IF with a proven ability to hit major league pitching. Could the Brewers have afforded giving up something similar to what the Cubs gave up for Castro?
  8. They have a race car circling the track with a Home Run flag after dingers at the Speedway Classic. Neatest hone run celebration since Bernie’s slide.
  9. He shouldn’t need a day off two days in a row. I think that makes 3 times in a row that Siegler has started against a RH starter. It’s looking more like a straight platoon
  10. Completely agree. It’s a common fallacy to assume that everything that happens after a certain event would have gone exactly the same way if the original event had gone differently. One of the worst is when an umpire makes a bad or questionable ball or strike call. It should be obvious that a pitcher is likely to throw a different pitch in a different location based on the count.
  11. If Siegler is considered a better option than Durbin against RHP, that makes it all the more unconscionable that the Brewers couldn’t find a better utility IF at the deadline. I think it’s possible that that the Cubs grabbed Castro in part to keep the Brewers from getting him.
  12. I should have been clearer about the comparison to the Chourio situation. I’m not saying at this point that I think he’ll be out as long as they expect Chourio to be out. The similarity is that the original in game report sounds pretty minor. “Spasm” in Chourio’s case and “Precautionary” in Frelick’s case. In both cases right after the game Murphy is more vague and says they’ll have to see what the doctors say after they get more of a look. Of course, two days later the outlook on Chourio became much more serious with talk of him missing a month or more. I went back and listened to Murphy’s postgame comments today. He said it was a knee problem “like he had a while back”. He said Frelick had surgery on the knee in 2019 and “The doctors will have to tell you what they think. It’s kind of day to day right now, which is a blessing, but there’s nothing to say it can’t keep coming up.Last time he missed 3 games, we’ll see.” He went on to say”We can’t afford…we’ve got Chourio down, now Sal…we’ve got some position player depth but it’s not what we’d like but we’ll have to keep rolling”.. Maybe I’m being too pessimistic because of the past history with injury reports. But the words and tone made me think that Frelick being out a couple of days is a minimum and a trip to the IL is more likely. Until we hear more I will consider a 10 day IL trip with a return after a minimum stay a positive. Missing fewer than 10 days would be dodging a bullet.
  13. He said it was an injury to the meniscus that happened when he swung the bat and his spike stuck. So, it’s an injury in the same area, but not necessarily the same severity.. Like with Chourio he made a comment to the effect of waiting to see what the doctors have to say . He then made some comment about how having both Frelick and Chourio on the IL at the same time would cut into the OF depth. His words and tone gave me the impression that he is expecting Frelick to go on the IL. Maybe I read it wrong.
  14. It’s not that she’s wrong, but the information the Brewers give her often makes the injuries sound less serious than they turn out to be. The only thing of value is what body part is involved
  15. Murphy’s postgame comments sounded hauntingly similar to his comments about Chourio’s injury. Sounds like an aggravation of his meniscus injury. I would expect an IL stint.
  16. I also remember last weekend when he looked at called third strikes both Saturday and Sunday. I am not a disciple of all of the fancy metrics so I am skeptical of charts and graphs that profess to show that a player isn’t as bad as his results indicate. Without some explanation of what is average, or very good, or excellent the numbers are as meaningful to me as a doctor telling me what my LDL reading is without explaining what is normal and what is too high or too low.. But, in Siegler’s case,he could be better than his results indicate and still be pretty bad.
  17. I was just responding to the general comment about throwing out high scores. I noted that it was meant in jest but just wanted to point out that in some contexts (specifically runs scored in a small number of games) scoring a huge number of runs in a game or two can provide a skewed picture of how an offense has performed. I thought that the Brewers having games with 17, 14, and 11 runs in their first 24 games this year was one of those cases. When you combine those games with a lot of games scoring 2 runs a team might not win as many games as the number of runs might suggest. I thought my comment about those high scoring games being diluted in a large sample of games made it clear that I wasn't trying to downplay the Brewers season long scoring numbers. But apparently some took it that way. When it comes to the Brewers offense this season, I am much more encouraged by how dramatically they have cut down on those games of 0-2 runs over the last 6 weeks or so compared to the first part of the season. I don't get that excited about scoring 16 or 17 runs when scoring 8 or 9 would be enough to win.
  18. I see the blue, but I think it is legitimate to point out the impact of huge scoring games when citing runs per game over a relatively small number of games. When you’re talking about averages over two thirds of the season the impact of those games is diluted to the point of insignificance.
  19. Either I’m too stupid or you are not being very clear. What is your point? Where was all of this analysis when the Brewers acquired Vaughn telling everyone what a great move it was?
×
×
  • Create New...