Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Posts

    18,796
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    232

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Joseph Zarr

  1. You both bring up astute points. Whereas I saw all that cap space and lost composure 😂
  2. I mean, it seems as though they should right? That's a lot of open cheddar for the off-season buffet. AND, every move makes quite a bit of sense from the roster construction POV.
  3. AND, I know you know this but it is worth iterating: this wave is also much much deeper as it spans well into those Southern regions. With the advancements and investments we are seeing in Latin America, I don't think even those of us who study the system's depths regularly even know how good it actually is. Which, well, it's extremely encouraging in regards to the longevity and impacts beyond even this wave of talent.
  4. After the recent Burnes trade with the Orioles, Baseball America has published a new 2024 Farm System Talent Ranking list. The Brewers clock in at 2nd Place. Wow. Full Subscription ($) Article HERE
  5. Now, THIS is fascinating:
  6. Basically, what I'm hearing is it's a 4-2-5 Nickel League. There are benefits and negatives to every scheme - and no scheme is perfect. We'll likely see some single high, more press man, some 4-down linemen etc. BUT Hafley is versatile and he'll tailor it to personnel. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'm excited for his presser whenever that is.
  7. I feel for you. I really do. Your fandom seems like it has turned to misery. I can only hope it gets better. I've been a fan of the Crew as long as you and we share a similar memory of 1982. We never sniffed success like this in the Kohl era. Not even remotely. We essentially had the one EC Finals run and that was it. If you can't accept the method by which the Brewers do things, you're going to live a fan life of perpetual disappointment. You choose 'reality' because this is the reality you choose to see. And, as you can also see, that reality is seen different across Brewers fandom. It's not right. It's not wrong. But, man, the way you're seeing things is a really hard fan burden to bear! There is a lot to be grateful for even if they aren't doing things the way you'd like and, under this ownership and management, likely never will.
  8. Serious question: how long have you been a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers? Do you not remember the 1990's? We are in the absolute best prolonged era of being Brewers fans. Why are you choosing to look at the team with a glass is half empty approach? We have witnessed the evolution to a top 5 Farm system in two years. We have witnessed the development of an intrepid and uber-talented personnel department do their thing time and time again. We have witnessed an awesome renewed commitment with improved results internationally. We are witnessing an organization who time and again demonstrates they are one of the most creative and cutting edge in identifying market inefficiencies. We have witnessed one of the most exciting MLB drafts ever as Brewers fans just this past season. There is just so much to be grateful for and so much to look forward to. And, here you are for some reason forecasting their demise? Why, I ask you? Why would you place your emphasis here? I invite you to enjoy the ride.
  9. Burnesy conceded 4 or more runs in 9 of his 33 total outings in 2023. He closed out his season with a 6-pack and then a 4-pack in the playoffs. He wasn't an Ace. This was a fair package. It was a smart trade. This has nothing to do with the perpetual and nauseating Mark is cheap storyline. It once again has to do with smart baseball decisions. IF one is going to complain about this trade, I would move their attention to the topic the Brewers ultimately held onto Burnes too long. But, if they had traded him earlier the fans would then complain they traded their Ace and ruined the Brewers chances. It's a No Win situation for management and the personnel department. But, this was the right organizational decision at this time. I don't know why that's a hard thing to grapple with. I really don't.
  10. I have zero hot takes on this trade. I will wait and see how it all shakes out.
  11. It's one rep, but, sheeesh, Toledo's Quinyon Mitchell looks incredible. He's been getting rave reviews across the board.
  12. The Packers definitely target Senior Bowl standouts. Here's a nice piece by Dan Dahlke (he's written for Lombardi Ave quite a bit) for CheeseheadTv on some Day 1 and Day 2 standouts: Full Article Here
  13. I think what we are also discovering now that the season is over is Nixon played most of the season with multiple injuries. And, yet, he was available for his team every game. He really is a warrior from a different era with his mentality. Where I disagree with your sentiment here is '...continue drafting outside CBs...'. I would like that too, yes, simply due to the attrition of the position and the demands. BUT, I really want them to expressly target a CB who has shown their primary role is shifty slot receivers and backs. This might even demand they drop some of their size requirements. I just think the position in today's NFL is too important to expect you can throw an outside guy in there and see the results. NOW, this being said, I'd be more than happy to see them target an outside guy who has some flexibility while moving Jaire expressly into that slot role. I think Jaire would kill it in a slot/Nickel role. And, we know defenses are essentially in Nickel 70% of the time.
  14. Absolutely agreed. And, the thing I really like about him so far is: he worked his way up from DIII, he understands and admits he was the beneficiary of numerous lucky breaks in his career (granted, he had to take advantage of them), and he recognizes the absolute importance of talent. Now, I'm going to be interested to see how the remaining staff shakes out. Do they all stay? Do some stay and some go? Who comes with him?
  15. Hafley ran a 4-3 at BC. So did Saleh at SF. He also heavily believes in press man. Thank the heavens. Please, YES.
  16. One thing seems clear with all the secondaries he's coached in the NFL: lottttta turnovers. Same can be said for his time at Pitt where they ranked 9th in passing defense nationally - he coached Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon (both Patriots draftpicks), and Revis. The Packers absolutely needed to improve the performance in the secondary. This seems like a possible step in the right direction. With Pettine, their secondary placed top 5 in Int's (4th I believe).
  17. I understand it's an innate quality to immediately jump to heavy doubts and negativity when it concerns the Packers defense and LaFleur hiring, well, anybody😅. I personally see a coach with a ton of experience from Grad Assistant to D3 all the way up to secondaries in the NFL. He's coached HOF'ers. He specializes in secondaries. I have never been in the department of the Packers need a clean sweep of the defensive staff. I think this is a guy who is extremely hungry to simply coach players again and is glad to relinquish the pressures of the college football era. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt before I begin heavily questioning any aspect of this. It's just the path of least grief - I'll wait for the post-season for that type of reaction.
  18. You know who else did? Kyle Shanahan. What's your point? Pettine was the failed HC there. It's experience in the NFL. It's a non-factor for me.
  19. I absolutely understand your hesitancy. He did it at Boston College in the NIL and Transfer era. BC is essentially a glorified Ivy League team in the ACC. I recommend you look at the 7 years of NFL secondaries he coached. He coached Darrell Revis in college. He was a holdover on Shanahan's staff and worked two years with Salah. Has a distinct connection to both LaFleurs. He clearly wants to get back to purely coaching football. I highly recommend that interview I posted.
  20. I imagine not a single one of us know anything about Hafley, here's an hour interview: Has a lotta experience with NFL secondaries and coordinated an Urban Meyer defense. This is a really good interview - you can see behind the curtain. Why he wanted to be a coordinator again and get back to the NFL. He wants to prioritize coaching and explicitly mentions his deep desire to coach more defense and grt back to coaching DB's again.
  21. If he made huge strides this off-season, sure he could make an impact. Those shoulder injuries are so tricky so I don't think any if us, including the Brewers, really knows what it's going to look like this Spring. The Aaron Ashby we saw rehabbing last year, however, if we're simply being brutally honest wasn't even a Double-A pitcher. His velocity was way down. His movement was restricted - from the pitch to his physical body on the mound. He was extremely hittable and the results bore that out outing after outing. I don't begrudge Ashby for that in any capacity (tho I do question why he was sped up the affiliate ladder in playoff pursuits) - it was fabulous to see him going through the steps on the mound. BUT, it greatly tempered my own expectations heading into 2024. I'd just like to see him stay healthy and work back to some semblance of his former self before I have expectations of what he might do for the Big League roster. I heard Arnold's thoughts this past month and felt they were pretty bullish all things considered.
×
×
  • Create New...