Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
  • Brewers Add Four Players to 40-Man Roster


    Seth Stohs

    With the deadline about 90 minutes away, the Brewers announced that they have added infielder Brice Turang and bullpen arm Abner Uribe to their 40-man roster. Then ten minutes before the deadline, they also announced the additions of reliever Cam Robinson and first baseman Jon Singleton. 

    Image courtesy of Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

    Brewers Video

     

    Just before the 5:00 central time deadline, the Brewers announced that, in addition to adding RH RP Abner Uribe and infielder Brice Turang to their 40-man roster, they will also be adding relief Cam Robinson and first baseman Jon Singleton

    Turang is the son of a former big leaguer and has consistently moved up the organizational ladder since the Brewers made him their first-round draft pick in 2018 out of high school in Corona, California. He spent the entire 2022 season at Triple-A Nashville. He will turn 23 years old this weekend. 

    Uribe, on the other hand, made just two appearances for Double-A Biloxi in early April before his season came to an end. He did return and pitched for Glendale in the Arizona Fall League and pitched well enough, and proved himself healthy enough for the Brewers to feel comfortable adding him. 

    Robinson was drafted in 2017 and had his struggles early, but he broke out in 2022. He pitched well at both Wisconsin and Biloxi before ending the season at Triple-A Nashville. He's got potentially dominant stuff that could work out of the bullpen. 

    The surprise may be the addition of slugger Jon Singleton. He spent all of 2022 with Nashville and provided a lot of homers and a lot of strikeouts. At the end of the World Series, he became a free agent but quickly re-signed with the Brewers. Now today he has been added to the big-league roster. Considering his past in the game, this does sure have the makings a really special human interest story by March! 

     

    There are several players that are now at risk of being selected in the Rule 5 draft including infields Felix Valerio and Eduardo Garcia, outfielder Carlos Rodriguez, pitchers Victor Castaneda, Justin Jarvis and others. 

    What do you think about the Brewers additions? Which prospects are you most concerned that the team could lose? 

     

     

     

    Think you could write a story like this? Brewer Fanatic wants you to develop your voice, find an audience, and we'll pay you to do it. Just fill out this form.

    MORE FROM BREWER FANATIC
    — Latest Brewers coverage from our writers
    — Recent Brewers discussion in our forums
    — Follow Brewer Fanatic via Twitter, Facebook or email

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Featured Comments

    1 hour ago, markedman5 said:

     

    I always wonder about this as well. Why are there so few hitters selected, and generally they are utility types. Aside from there's never enough pitching, I think that it can be a lot easier to evaluate hitters than pitchers. I mean, if you've got a slugging third baseman, you're going to protect him, so he's not going to get drafted. Brice Turang was an easy add. Had he been left unprotected, he might be the first pick of the Rule 5 draft. So I don't know if it's quite as simple as Sam makes it sound, but obviously pitching is key! 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    damuelle
  • Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Posted

    1 hour ago, Seth Stohs said:

    I always wonder about this as well. Why are there so few hitters selected, and generally they are utility types. Aside from there's never enough pitching, I think that it can be a lot easier to evaluate hitters than pitchers. I mean, if you've got a slugging third baseman, you're going to protect him, so he's not going to get drafted. Brice Turang was an easy add. Had he been left unprotected, he might be the first pick of the Rule 5 draft. So I don't know if it's quite as simple as Sam makes it sound, but obviously pitching is key! 

    I expect to see more hitters selected in the Rule 5 Draft than usual this year, as 26-man active rosters, the 13-pitcher cap and the universal DH have all contributed to a situation where teams carry a 13th position player who rarely plays (image: Jonathan Davis glued to Brewers' bench in 2022).

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Singleton selection is odd.  He is out of options, so if he does not make the OD roster he will have to be outrighted.  He has been outrighted before so he can refuse a minor league assignment and become a free agent.  It just seems like he does not fit well on a team with Tellez, Yelich, and Hiura already on the roster as they all are better against RHs and play overlapping positions.  IF he was a masher against LH pitchers he will fit perfectly as a platoon mate at 1b/LF/DH.  Maybe this is an indication of some big shakeup on the roster.  Just seems like this is a wasted roster spot.

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    8 minutes ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

    The Singleton selection is odd.  He is out of options, so if he does not make the OD roster he will have to be outrighted.  He has been outrighted before so he can refuse a minor league assignment and become a free agent.  It just seems like he does not fit well on a team with Tellez, Yelich, and Hiura already on the roster as they all are better against RHs and play overlapping positions.  IF he was a masher against LH pitchers he will fit perfectly as a platoon mate at 1b/LF/DH.  Maybe this is an indication of some big shakeup on the roster.  Just seems like this is a wasted roster spot.

    I agree.  I just hope this isn't a sign of how they are going to handle this offseason roster construction.  Arnolds comments seem to imply that he will have time at the majors platooning with Tellez.  

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    12 hours ago, SF70 said:

    Robinson got hit pretty hard once promoted to AAA, so they might think teams don’t think he’s ready for the leap to the big-leagues.

    Can Devanney could easily get taken. 25/26, close to big-league ready, power, good defender. It’s quite the gamble to leave him unprotected, imo.

    Yeah...I don't understand that one. Devanney? Is it too much 3B depth in your MiLB system?

    But I'm glad they kept Uribe, Robinson...I was sweating out Turang, not sure if he'd get added, but beyond that...Devanney over Singleton made a lot of sense. If Singleton has a good STing, you can create a spot on the 40.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    10 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

    Yeah, Uribe is as untouchable as it gets. You don't let a guy who regularly sits 98-99 and touches 101 with some nasty breaking stuff sit idly by while the Tampa Bay Rays find a way to scoop him up for their Big League roster. Uribe dominanced in the AFL: 0 runs allowed over six weeks with massive K numbers. What's more? I'm fairly certain he was working on a secondary fastball grip in Arizona too. I can't confirm this. I haven't seen it confirmed. BUT, I'm fairly certain he was working on multiple grips in Arizona. There's a lot in his toolkit and I would surmise he's adding to it.

    The 100MPH fastball you or...Damulle posted on Twitter along with the 88 MPH slider, that was enough right there to protect that guy. His performance in the Fall League aside. 

    But that Fastball moved almost like a Changeup. Reading the comments...there were people who legitimately asked if that was his change. 

    If he can throw 100 like that and he's toying with other grips, it's just a lock, you have to protect him. 

    Right now, the one area we could improve this team the most...IMO, is the BP. 

    If they just brought back most of the same team, add some of the young prospects and then can find 2-3 overpowering relievers, I'll be happy. Ecreg was another guy I thought might get protected, just because of his stuff, but...not to be. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    4 hours ago, BlightyBrew said:

    I agree.  I just hope this isn't a sign of how they are going to handle this offseason roster construction.  Arnolds comments seem to imply that he will have time at the majors platooning with Tellez.  

    Agreed, that's how I read his comments on Singleton... That he's already made the 23 OD roster.

    Goes to show how much $ we're going to spend on offense this winter.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It certainly doesn't mean that, it's very easy to DFA him if they find an upgrade. In the press conference they are not going to say they are keeping him around until they find something better, it is always going to be a positive spin for the player.

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It's entirely possible that they caught wind of another team looking to nab Singleton in the Rule 5 draft. He strikes me as the type of guy who may hit 30-35 HRs next year, then kind of bottom out once the league learns the book on how to pitch him.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    21 minutes ago, Outlander said:

    It certainly doesn't mean that, it's very easy to DFA him if they find an upgrade. In the press conference they are not going to say they are keeping him around until they find something better, it is always going to be a positive spin for the player.

     For me is that you didn't need to add him to the 40 man roster.  We already have him on a minor league deal.  This now becomes a major league deal.  The FO added him to protect him from the rule 5 draft.  You only do that if you already planning to use Singleton at the major league level. (why you would think that anyone else would pick him up in the rule 5 after not playing in the majors for the last 8 years is beyond me).  

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 minute ago, BlightyBrew said:

     For me is that you didn't need to add him to the 40 man roster.  We already have him on a minor league deal.  This now becomes a major league deal.  The FO added him to protect him from the rule 5 draft.  You only do that if you already planning to use Singleton at the major league level. (why you would think that anyone else would pick him up in the rule 5 after not playing in the majors for the last 8 years is beyond me).  

    Couldnt have said it better myself...

    Singleton will be on 2023 OD roster and starting at DH.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    37 minutes ago, BlightyBrew said:

    (why you would think that anyone else would pick him up in the rule 5 after not playing in the majors for the last 8 years is beyond me).  

    Good question. But there was really no other reason to add him if they didn't think that.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    3 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

    Good question. But there was really no other reason to add him if they didn't think that.

    I know which scares me more and more on how this FO (DS and now MA) builds and understands offensive roster construction.  Surely, we can do better than this.  What conceivable scenario does any team, with post season and or WS (use that very loosely) aspirations have Singleton on the roster?  I cannot believe that they are going to run out the same team and have another reclamation project. I was okay with Singleton on a minor league deal sitting in AAA (he didn't even have a great year in AAA, yeah he walked a bit had a few HR's and a lot of K's) but this addition to the 40 man just makes madder (or is it sadder?) than it should, I guess.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't find Singleton being protected that shocking. He is pretty experienced, so some team nabbing him is at least plausible. With the universal DH there are a lot of 1B/DH/bench spots open these days. If they think he might be of use next year...why not protect him for the time being? Do we get bonus points for leaving the roster spot empty and not protecting him...not really. Not much to lose. 

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'm not particularly worried about losing Cam Devanney in the rule 5 draft tbh. In recent years, there's usually like 3-4 position players taken in each draft. Maybe there'll be a few more after the unique nature of 2020, no rule 5 draft in 2021, and the 26 man rosters, but it's still primarily limited by the roster spots. In a vacuum I could see how it could make sense to take a chance on him. But there are also 29 other teams, so not only does another team need to think it's a good idea, they also need to be able to even carry a rule 5 position player in the first place; which usually means non-contending teams. And then that spot needs to be a SS/3B. And perhaps most crucially, there needs to be no better rule 5 candidates available. With no draft last year and obviously no added 40-man spots, there are also more unprotected players than usual. Devanney might be a decent candidate, but I'd wager there's enough better ones out there to keep him safe. 

    Bit surprised to see Singleton protected. I suppose they have to have a decent inkling that someone might select him. I also think that having seen him close up for a full season, they have a pretty good grasp on him, and if there's anything chance of further development. The batting average is ugly, but there's a .375 OBP and 24 HRs to go along with it this past year. And as a slow, pull-heavy LHH there's probably a few hits to be gained by the loss of the shift. So keep him around as Rowdy insurance for now. Not really a whole lot to lose, not like it's a big financial commitment or anything. 

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't see the big deal with the Singleton addition. He mashed righties in AAA last season and I doubt the Brewers are just handing him a starting job. He'll probably given a chance to earn PT in spring training, then if he makes the team it'll probably be as a backup or in a pinch hitter role. If he doesn't produce he'll likely be given the boot early on or not even make the squad if he has a poor spring. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    21 minutes ago, MVP2110 said:

    I don't see the big deal with the Singleton addition. He mashed righties in AAA last season and I doubt the Brewers are just handing him a starting job. He'll probably given a chance to earn PT in spring training, then if he makes the team it'll probably be as a backup or in a pinch hitter role. If he doesn't produce he'll likely be given the boot early on or not even make the squad if he has a poor spring. 

    But why bother adding him to 40 man last night? If another team drafts him, then so be it...

    FO must see something in him that we don't.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    6 minutes ago, DR28 said:

    But why bother adding him to 40 man last night? If another team drafts him, then so be it...

    FO must see something in him that we don't.

    A power bat at a league minimum salary.

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Just now, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

    A power bat at a league minimum salary.

    Not to mention the ability to draw over 100 walks and get on base, which this team struggled to do this season aside from Yelich. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yea I guess... Can't be any worse then Eric Thames move from awhile back.

    Just not who I pictured as our potential DH.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

    A power bat at a league minimum salary.

    He is not a power bat.  When he does make contact it sometimes goes over the fence.  The most HR he has in the majors is 14 and that was 8 years ago.  He had 24 against AAA arms last year which is one of his better HR marks but he K way too often.  Which I guess is perfect with what the Brewers look for in an offensive player.  So yeah, perfect fit.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Brewcrew82 said:

    Not to mention the ability to draw over 100 walks and get on base, which this team struggled to do this season aside from Yelich. 

    Just don't look at the K rate.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    7 minutes ago, BlightyBrew said:

    He is not a power bat.  When he does make contact it sometimes goes over the fence.  The most HR he has in the majors is 14 and that was 8 years ago.  He had 24 against AAA arms last year which is one of his better HR marks but he K way too often.  Which I guess is perfect with what the Brewers look for in an offensive player.  So yeah, perfect fit.

    To be fair ... I believe that to be what the Brewers front office sees in him, not what I personally see in him. I suppose it is possible they may get some solid offensive production on the cheap with him, though, which explains why he's being kept around.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    13 minutes ago, BlightyBrew said:

    Just don't look at the K rate.

    True. Though, it's not that much different from Hiura's, who I suspect Singleton would be replacing if he's indeed kept on the 40 man through spring training. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites




    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...