Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

owbc

Community Moderator
  • Posts

    10,249
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by owbc

  1. Just wait until other sports start emulating this — Manfred, some MLB owners, and Fox Sports execs will be setting the playoff bracket for MLB soon! I find it hilarious that they allow a closed door group with vested interests to set the playoff bracket. Anyway, Miami to the SEC.
  2. In banana ball the player that you are pinch hitting for becomes the base runner. Personally I would make it illegal to do the substitution if the hitter has already recorded a plate appearance in the inning. However, for a walk or hit batter I would still allow it following the banana ball rules.
  3. It’s not that much crazier than a designated hitter. I’m not in favor of it, but I like the acknowledgement that we are still in a dead ball era and more changes to increase offense are needed. My hope is that a 2D auto strike zone with rounded corners will do the trick for offense though. If we go to a 154 game schedule it would also allow single season records to continue to be broken. That said, please please please do banana ball rules for the all-star game. That would be so much fun.
  4. I agree that Vegas isn’t gonna happen but they will find a sucker to fork over public money for a stadium. My bet is on Salt Lake City. Meanwhile, the Rays’ situation is now a disaster, with them basically having to play three straight months on the road this summer and no stadium until 2029 at the earliest. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them land in Nashville
  5. What's going on right now doesn't affect us too much. We've always been poor. Fans of mid-market teams who are suddenly feeling poorer than they used to be are not taking recent events as well. I don't worry about it too much, it's still far better than it was pre-luxury tax when the Yankees were spending 3-4x the median payroll. These days the Mets are at like 2x the median. If the median payroll is 150M and you have a team spending 500-600M, then there will be a real problem. I don't think it will happen though, the RSN crisis will work its way up to the biggest markets eventually. I think the 2030s are going to be rough for the Dodgers.
  6. Despite my frustrations with the program I generally agree with this and Wisconsin doesn't really have any choice right now except to give Fickell at least another year. A run-centric offense gives us the ceiling of Iowa and that doesn't appeal to me either.
  7. It only feels like it because we follow Wisconsin. Or at least we did, I didn't even watch a full game worth this year, it was too painful on the eyes.
  8. Alvarez is ancient history. Bielema was an internal hire. I'm sick of our head coaching hires being flops. Fickell is a disaster. At a time when the stakes have never been higher in college football we've dissolved into irrelevancy.
  9. We’ve never hired a coach with a track record of winning at a major program. I know there aren’t many of them and they have choices, but still… It’s always either a Wisconsin Guy with minimal HC experience or a mid-major guy with a system that won’t translate to the Big Ten.
  10. How do we fire Fickell and hire Day when he gets dumped?
  11. I was reading Reddit this morning about how $MSTR is about as clear cut of a Ponzi scheme as you can get. But there’s also reason to believe the market will keep chugging on a little longer…depends on what policies the next administration go with and nobody knows what they will do…
  12. They had no fear of us scoring again, and they were right.
  13. 2025 should be an interesting year. I think the public is expecting Bernie Sanders populism and what they are going to get is tax cuts favoring the wealthy. People are saying they expect prices to go down. How exactly is that going to happen? Personally I was hoping for a refinance on our investment property that is in the low 7s but that's clearly not going to happen. Even if the election had gone the other way, it's clear that the current growth in stocks is not sustainable. How many years in a row can you expect 30% gains in the S&P 500? We're due for a correction anyway, but it would suck to miss out on this bubble getting inflated even more in the first year or two of the next presidency. For now just playing wait and see.
  14. The Milwaukee + Nashville combined market would still not even crack the top 10 in MLB. We'd need to give the other third of our games to Charlotte. That would get us roughly to a tie for #3 with Chicago.
  15. They have been sloppy all year. It’s amazing they got this far before it bit them.
  16. Agreed, it seems like folks are asking for a return to a Daron Sutton-type announcer.
  17. BA was on his A-game tonight, incredible calls. Especially the “Big Christmas” one.
  18. We're so lucky to have BA. The unabashed homer announcers are obnoxious. Personally I like having some variety in the booth. I wish the Brewers would rotate radio and TV commentators like some teams do.
  19. For non-playoff teams, September record should be part of the criteria for determining draft order (not the entire criteria due to unbalanced schedule, but at least part of it). More motivation to make the teams out of contention play spoiler.
  20. I like expanded playoffs and I would be fine with either the current count or one additional team per league getting in. It's clearly very good for baseball to see these sold out playoff crowds in small markets like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit, and KC. Teams like Detroit and KC are clearly going to see large increases in attendance in 2025 because of the hype generated from making it to the division series. I don't think there is much wrong with the current format. For one thing, it hasn't been around long enough for teams to fully adapt to it and come up with a winning strategy. It already looks like the teams with byes have now adapted to having a few days off -- all four of the higher seeds won game 1 of the division series this year. There's a decent chance of the dreaded Yankees-Dodgers World Series that would draw the highest TV ratings in decades. So I would default to letting the current format ride for a few more years with only minor tweaks. The third-seeded division winner is the main loser in the current format, so if I was going to make reforms that's where I would make them. I also think if they want to do gimmicky stuff they should go crazy with the 4-5-6 (and maybe +7-8) seeds). Make it fun for the fans of wild card teams. Also, please, please, please drop an off day or two and make the division series best-of-7.
  21. Public opinion is strongly on Machado's side with this one.
  22. We get the least TV money in MLB so it gives us the opportunity to be the most innovative with different broadcast solutions. The NHL teams that have crappy local TV revenue numbers are all going OTA. I agree with nate82 that this opens up the possibility of OTA, especially if Mark A sees the value in getting the product to more fans.
  23. From a neutral fan perspective, this is on pace to be the best postseason of all time. It's certainly the most NBA-like that MLB has ever been, which in my view is a very good thing to generate views.
  24. I empathize with this. I just don’t think there’s anywhere to direct that anger internally within the organization. If MLB had a salary cap we’d be winning championships. Instead we got beat by an organization with 3x our payroll who has wasted their entire advantage in spending power and yet still managed to avoid a rebuild and sneak into the playoffs, almost entirely because of MLB’s unfair economic system. Which, you could argue, is the same reason the Twins are systematically dismantled by the Yankees/Astros in the playoffs almost every single year. The bone that had been thrown to us is the playoffs being a random crapshoot, but that’s been working against us lately while inferior teams with comparable payrolls have been going on World Series runs.
  25. Stinging losses can sometimes cripple franchises. Narratives can get amplified by the fans and media and become part of the identity of the franchise. There haven't been many instances in recent baseball history of a team getting a postseason series clinch at home ripped away in that fashion. It wasn't quite 2004 Cubs level, but it was pretty bad. There are a lot of ways to lose and I think it bodes well for our future that there isn't a glaring managerial mistake to criticize or a major blunder by one of the players (other than the classic "closer blew it" narrative which is quite common in baseball). It also helps to be in a small market. The media will have moved onto the Packers by tomorrow. Just reading the vibes suggests that most are sad/disappointed as opposed to angry, and I think that bodes well for the franchise in terms of moving on from this.
×
×
  • Create New...