When I look at this team, all I see is pain. I don’t even think they “suck.” Would that that were true! The true pain isn’t in sucking. No, the Packers are worse than that, friends. They’re tragic.
To suck in sports could actually be generative. It could provide clarity, draft capital, or the conviction to change. At the very least, a state of “suck” can be comedic.
The Packers don’t truly suck, and haven’t for decades. Most of the time, they’re fatally flawed, which is the nature of all tragedy. Sometimes the flaw waits like an o-ring on Apollo 13, ready to hit you from nowhere when you least expect it (Bostick in Seattle). Sometimes the flaws are in plain sight for a year or more (the current offensive line). But inevitably the team will maintain a general baseline competence mixed with just enough brilliance (usually from the passing game, or maybe a hall of famer on defense) to prop up at least a feeble justification for staying the course. And so, like Sisyphus, we’ll keep rolling the cursed boulder up the hill again.
To anyone who thinks the bottom is going to fall out on this team, I can only say you haven’t been paying attention. We’re really better, and so much worse, than that. I want another Super Bowl this year, but failing that, I want three wins or less. Nothing is going to change otherwise.
But we’ll get neither glory or suck: nine or ten wins, maybe eleven if it breaks right, a glimpse of potential, followed by humiliation. Then the ritual gaslighting in the offseason.
Take up your boulder and push.