Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Posts

    18,796
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    232

 Content Type 

Profiles

Forums

Blogs

Events

News

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Top Prospects Ranking

Milwaukee Brewers Videos

2022 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

Milwaukee Brewers Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

2024 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Picks

The Milwaukee Brewers Players Project

2025 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Milwaukee Brewers Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Joseph Zarr

  1. I mean, it was called a foul. BUT, I think there is a very reasoned take that it was emphatically not the right or appropriate call. As they say: "Ball don't lie."
  2. One year ago, today on November 13th, the Brewers officially announced they had protected RHP Bradley Blalock and C Jeferson Quero from the 2023 Rule 5 draft by adding them to the 40-Man. In that respect, it would realistically appear we 'should' be learning any day now what's in store for this year's draft.
  3. On Anderson, Ortuno, and Quintana: I bring this here because these are things we can not see beyond our number crunching at present. In Baseball America's end-of-season recap on the Top International Signing classes of 2024 (subscription) (where they discussed the Brewers first and foremost) they share the general thinking is Anderson would likely be moved to a corner OF spot stateside. Ortuno projects to continue to see opportunities on the infield dirt. And, beyond Quintana's overall smooth and easy game the thing that really stood out in the DSL was his plus defense at SS. They say he showed a quality many thought he wouldn't be able to showcase given his size, slower first step, and general pessimistic view of his range.
  4. For anyone wondering, the roster listed by Jim is not up to date as of Thompson's latching on (Congrats, Darrell!). For an up to date current roster via the USA Baseball website visit THIS page. It goes without saying, this is a massive opportunity for both Thompson and Devanney. Devanney will look to show the Royals he is qualified to assume their MLB club utility role. Thompson will hope to show out to get offered his next contract. No pressure!
  5. Rodriguez was also HBP in the second inning, fwiw. So it was an 0-for-2, 1 BB, 1 HBP.
  6. I suspect your suspicion here, tho suspiciously suspicious in and of itself, is spot on. It plays into the simple, if unfortunate, fact the Brewers lack any amount of meaningful depth at the highest levels within their own system. I personally believe they use the broader Minor Leagues to play this role. They've caught lightning in a bottle via this avenue on numerous occasions. The wealth of depth within the system is currently in the lower levels and it is filled with lottery ticket type talents.
  7. Looking back to the 29th of October, a whole slew of players from the 60-Day and Full-Season IL's were activated. 18 players in total. See them HERE
  8. Indeed! And, absolutely awesome. It appears he was assigned on October 29th -- underneath all our collective noses. This is fantastic. One of the real bright spots of the past season gets a much-deserved nod of recognition.
  9. Yup. I looked through that list earlier today and had one thought off the bat: "How did I miss RHP Dylan File pitched for the D-Backs org last season?!?" 😅
  10. Baseball 'Merica also lists Juan Baez as a Catcher. Let's hope their transaction ledger is more accurate than their positional assignations. 😅
  11. So, Peoria now has two ties in the past week. LOL. Didn't have that on my AFL Bingo card.
  12. Then I sincerely, and with all due respect, just very much disagree with you. And, that's just fine. We'll see where the chips fall as time carries on.
  13. I watch the games. Very comfortable in my assessments. It most definitely is an adventure. That's putting it quite generously.
  14. Ken Ingalls chimes in:
  15. His range is slightly limited due to his length but it isn't really all that discernible. His hands, glove, and arm are all really good. As is his decision-making. He doesn't have EBJ's overall stretch and range but, then again, he has nowhere near the amount of issues at the plate EBJ has. In my mind, Pratt is far and away the best SS we've seen play stateside in the Brewers system by a hefty margin.
  16. $5Mil dead next year feels steep? Maybe I'm just old. Sigh. 😅
  17. Preston traded to da Steelers for a 7th Rd pick. Steelers assume all contractual obligations. I believe the Packers will have a nominal dead cap hit next season (I'm not entirely sure). So, in essence, recouping a 7th it would generally appear one could consider this as a QB Malik Willis for OLB Preson Smith 1-for-1 swap when all is said and done.
  18. I really like Tyler Black. He's a likable Canuck with a huge wealth of talent. However...the only positions Black has ever played where you came away thinking: "Ok, this could work." are on the OF grass. I've watched the vast majority of his Minor League games so I'm not spitballing here. He didn't have a good year at the dish last season despite what any numbers might suggest - his first such struggle in the Minor Leagues. Despite the down season by his standards, he absolutely still remains an extremely advanced bat. He had an off year. But, the Brewers are also juggling him around the defensive side of the ball like <insert bad or even inappropriate juggling analogy here>. I personally think he does much better on the OF grass because the decision-making process is slightly delayed and there is a broader range to cover and less compression. He has a second to allow his innate athleticism to take over. He doesn't have to react instantly and rely on extremely unsteady hand-eye coordination (OK, he likely just has really bad hands) or positioning or worrying about what ground it is he is actually expected to cover. He can simply turn and sprint and let that innate athleticism take over. He has really good range in both LF and CF. I haven't seen him botch a single play on the OF grass in his limited opportunities but I certainly have seen him make several ranging catches. On the infield? It is very much literally a 50/50 proposition on any given play. Full stop. That is not playable on an MLB diamond. To me, he is strictly a platoon OF/DH guy or a trade candidate to a team who could afford to live and die with him on the OF grass as an everyday player on a very very much low expectations team. For instance, there is absolutely zero way I could validate playing him at 1B over Ernesto Martinez Jr. - who outside his incredible stature and agility and what that means for the entire infield also hits the living heck out of the ball - or even Wes Clarke. I can't trust him to take innings at 3B. If I remain unconvinced Andruw Monasterio plays an acceptable level of MLB-caliber infield defense...I absolutely don't think Tyler Black can. This is just how I see it. I absolutely hope I'm dead wrong.
  19. Indeed. Also, on the road. At KC. Have to go for 2 at the end there. Why are you even flirting with giving Mahomes another opportunity with the ball? You can't leave that up to a coin flip. Live and die with the consequence of being bold and going for the win. Bowles played way too conservative there, imho.
  20. I gotta say, in all my years...in all my random iterations...this the first 'douche nozzle' I've witnessed. This is the kind of cutting edge witticism we need.
  21. Hey the Javelinas won last night! Feels like a Harvest Moon! 3-2 over the (also not all that good early) Scottsdale Scorpions. RHP Ryan Birchard did ongoing AFL Birchard things - strikeout and walk at a near 1:1 clip while keeping damage at a bare minimum. 3.0 IP, 1 H, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 0 R. ERA is down to 3.75. However, it is absolutely worth sharing: the results are acceptable but the in-game process remains unsound. 1.83 WHIP on the season. Leads the AFL in walks. Has 16 BB to 15 K in just 12.0 IP. His saving grace at present is despite those peripherals his raw stuff is evolving. He is holding hitters to a 0.162 BAA. Ingredients absolutely there. Still very much a raw ball of clay at this stage of his development path. RF Luis Lara grabbed another OF assist (he has several) in an 0-for-3 day at the plate. Despite the lack of eye-popping results of any kind at the plate he is still managing a 12:10 K:BB ratio. He is staying relevant, if unimpressive, while adding very very good defense as per usual. 3B Brock Wilken continues to get #3 and #4 chances in the batters box. He continues to struggle producing anything of consistent substance. 0-for-3, 1 BB, 2 K. His AFL output is now a 0.138 BA with a paltry 0.493 OPS. He leads all 3B in the AFL in strikeouts (26). He is second last (of 11 players consistently manning the hot corner) in BA and OPS. He continues to be given each and every opportunity despite a three month long super slump. Sigh. 2B Juan Baez continues to shine brightest for the Brewers in the desert. He essentially is nipping at the heels of the Cardinals' highly-touted Thomas Saggese in nearly every important offensive category for 2B in Arizona. He went 1-for-4 with 1 2B (his 3rd overall) and 1 RBI (his 13th overall). The Javelinas 'improve' to 6-16 on the season. They will face the 15-7 Surprise Saguaros today.
  22. Because these transactions were also technically processed on the Minor League side: RHP Bryse Wilson was sent outright to the Nashville Sounds where he elected Free Agency 1B/OF Jake Bauers was sent outright to the Nashville Sounds where he elected Free Agency
  23. Chourio...Quero...and now one SS Cooper Pratt. Well deserved! The future is bright!
  24. AND on the Minor League side we have one SS Cooper Pratt bringing home the golden hardware.
  25. That pitching play-by-play from Jim absolutely encapsulates the 2024 AFL Javelinas experience. A literal pitching staff roller coaster. You don't have to look far - just check those pitching staff peripherals. Lottttttta elevated everythings. But, I'm choosing to give the benefit of the doubt many of these young men are devoutly working on distinct aspects of their skillsets - a cumulative up and down affair. It's the journey not the destination here. I do believe Manfredi's last two outings have had a balk apiece? Not a good trend.
×
×
  • Create New...