Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted

Legit the offensive line cut up clips we are seeing after that monstrosity of a game? Jacob Monk and Belton? My gods. That is some of the most eye-gouging work I have ever seen in a live action NfL game.  It is borderline comical. IF I ever performed that way in any line of work I've had over the years, I would be drug tested and likely suspended or fired on the spot. Belton is a GUARD at the NFL level. It was a terrible draft pick reach at the time. It is made 10x worse by the mere fact the Packers, yet again, can't see the most glaringly obvious elephant in the room. It defies all reason Gutey and this offensive staff felt comfortable with their plan heading into this season. This alone is a fireable offense. Yet, we know there is a litany of other reasons - the buck stops at LaFleur and his anemic in-game capabilities.  Their current inability to pivot and shift with the disaster they've co-created is truly amazing to witness. Get a FB. Build around the Play Action. I formation. West Coast offense. Please get rid of these asinine deep drop back operations. This just in: NOBODY in your offensive line unit is trustworthy to hold a block or know their assignment. You would think that might reflect on the offensive line coach? Nah. That's too harsh. This group of leaders is so out of their elements.

Posted

They have only drafted six o-linemen over the past three years.  Seems like a lot, but not when they've let 5 guys walk over that period of time.  There is only one player on the team from the 2019-2021 drafts, and that is Jordan Love.  It's one thing to let guys walk, but you better have a replacement-level player to step in, and they don't have that, and they have been invseting draft capital elsewhere (2 kickers in the past 4 drafts???).  They need better scouting and better coaching. 

  • Like 1
Posted
6 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

It's just too bad, because when I look at this team, and even factor in the sub-par head coach, the roster as a whole still looks something that could range anywhere from 10-7 to 8-9 depending on how difficult the schedule is and how many breaks you get along the way.  Unfortunately, there is one unit that is just so bad that it will sink this entire ship.

Gutekunst showed gross incompetence last year with the cornerback position, and he has shown gross incompetence this year with the offensive line.  Morgan could not beat out Rasheed Walker (by all measures, a below average starting LT), and he is handed the starting spot because he was a first round pick.  Banks was hurt and awful last year, but he got another chance because he was given a bad contract and the GM hopes to redeem himself.  Despite Rhyan getting benched last year, Gutekunst extends him in an off-season with a plus center free agent class and a plus center draft class.  Jacob Monk has preseasonS of disaster, and Gutekunst believes in him because he played well in a meaningless end of season game where the opposition was really only interested in getting on a plane and flying to wherever their summer home is.  I can understand being willing to roll with Tom and Belton at right tackle.  Belton played a bit last year, and if Tom goes down, Belton needs to step up.  If he doesn't, you have one spot you have to fix.  Gutekunst maneuvered himself into a position where he has five spots to fix.  That's gross incompetence.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Good news, Baker Mayfield is out so the Packers probably have a free win this week. Jalon Daniels is their current back-up (undrafted rookie).

 

  • WHOA SOLVDD 1
Posted

The Packers sign Laken Tomlinson from the Cowboys PS.  Looks like an aging vet, but was just under average PFF scores the last 3 years (55-62.5).  

They also sign Mekhi Becton to the PS.  This one is more interesting.  Becton is 27, had very high scores on his one year with the Eagles (14th ranked G for PFF), but flopped with the Chargers last year.  But then in the offseason it was discovered to have a labrum problem and had surgery to repair it.  Now healthy, he signs with the Packers.  

Sadly, both players raise the floor of the OL as they should know how to block and when to get out of their stance.  If Becton bounces back from a down year last year, he could be a great find. Becton and Belton on the right side of the line could really move people... those are two very large men. 

If nothing else, they are experienced vets with excellent credentials that can help coach a very young OL. 

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted

I'm glad they are bringing guys in but everyone knew that they were thin at O-Line. I wish this was done at camp and not week 4. I agree the Becton signing is intriging, just a year ago he was given 2/20 from the chargers. 

  • Like 1
Posted
2 hours ago, MrTPlush said:

Good news, Baker Mayfield is out so the Packers probably have a free win this week. Jalon Daniels is their current back-up (undrafted rookie).

 

This team is beyond assuming wins against anyone. Anyone.

  • Like 5
Posted
3 hours ago, MrTPlush said:

Good news, Baker Mayfield is out so the Packers probably have a free win this week. Jalon Daniels is their current back-up (undrafted rookie).

 

We're not good enough to assume a win against anybody.  Playing a backup quarterback doesn't solve our offensive woes.

You think you can hurt me? I watch Wisconsin sports. You can't hurt me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted
2 hours ago, patrickgpe said:

I'm glad they are bringing guys in but everyone knew that they were thin at O-Line. I wish this was done at camp and not week 4. I agree the Becton signing is intriging, just a year ago he was given 2/20 from the chargers. 

At the very least, these guys should know who to block. 

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Posted
18 hours ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

This team is beyond assuming wins against anyone. Anyone.

Only way they lose is a flashback to the 49ers playoff game where they threw for like 70 yards and the QB ran all over the field.

I think our defense is good enough these days to avoid that. 

 

Posted
53 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

Only way they lose is a flashback to the 49ers playoff game where they threw for like 70 yards and the QB ran all over the field.

I think our defense is good enough these days to avoid that. 

 

People keep saying this but why? They are 11th in passing yards against only because they are losing and the opponent is running clock. They are terrible against the run and ranking poorly overall. They have given up 91 points. They are also always on the field because the offense absolutely sucks. That may not be their fault, but it is unlikely to change. This is a totally losable game for the Packers, on the road no less, who have looked like a bottom 5 team through 3 weeks. They just aren't good enough to feel safe in anything.

  • Like 1
Posted

The Packers defense is allowing 4.1 yards per carry, which ranks 17th in the NFL.  They are allowing 7.3 yards per pass attempt, which ranks 19th in the NFL.  They have 2 takeaways, which is tied for 23rd in the NFL.  They have 7 sacks, which ties them for 11th in the NFL but is part of a big cluster (9 teams, ranking from #11 to #19).  They have allowed 4 plays of 40+ yards, which ties them for last in the league.  I would say the strength of schedule so far is pretty average.  I think the Vikings are pretty good despite the problems at QB, Jets are likely to be bad and the Falcons are maybe average...who really knows at this point with them?  So if we go by a letter grade scale where C is average, when looking at the statistics and the opponents, I'd say C- for the Packer's defense so far.

Posted
21 hours ago, patrickgpe said:

I'm glad they are bringing guys in but everyone knew that they were thin at O-Line. I wish this was done at camp and not week 4. I agree the Becton signing is intriging, just a year ago he was given 2/20 from the chargers. 

You sure? Gutey said at the end of camp that not only was the line in good shape but we were worried about other teams purging our practice squad linemen. 

  • WHOA SOLVDD 1
Posted
6 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

You sure? Gutey said at the end of camp that not only was the line in good shape but we were worried about other teams purging our practice squad linemen. 

well if he said that, then I question his talent evaluation skills. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm really surprised Tampa Bay went with Jalon Daniels as their backup quarterback.  As far as a passer, he really does not look ready to play in the NFL.  The guy has athletic talent, to me is an ideal candidate to stash on the practice squad for a couple years and coach him up.  I could see him just being over-whelmed as a passer at this stage of his career.  Maybe I am under-rating him, they did have Jake Browning in camp and elected to go with Daniels, so that says something.

Nonetheless, I would expect the Bucs to put Daniels on the move a lot.  Lots of "look at option one, then option two, and then just tuck it and run."  One thing that really helps them is they picked up Kenny Gainwell as a backup running back, who I thought showed really well in Pittsburgh last year.  No doubt they have some pass-catchers there and I see Packer "visitee" Ted Hurst has a 40 yard catch last week.

Posted
38 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

You sure? Gutey said at the end of camp that not only was the line in good shape but we were worried about other teams purging our practice squad linemen. 

I'd probably say that too if the practice squad guys are just as good as the guys on the 53 man roster.

Posted

MLF just said that Laken Tomlinson, who they just signed, might play at left guard or right guard, 

Tomlinson has been in the league for 11 years and has always played left guard. 

No wonder the line is constantly out of sorts and confused. Does MLF just think they are all interchangeable?

Posted

Right now, the Packers probably see Jennings/Burton at LG as the weakest spot on the line.  However, when Aaron Banks can play, then they probably see LG as the strength of the line (ouch!).  So Tomlinson is probably LG while Banks is out, but when Banks comes back then they will have to figure out RG which could be Monk or Tomlinson or Becton.  Despite having all the physical tools to play tackle, Becton crapped out at tackle and I think most probably see him as a guard moving forward...and that probably includes the Packers.  There is always the possibility he could bounce Morgan or Belton from tackle because the raw size and ability is there, but if that happens it would just scream that Morgan or Belton is really bad.

It's just a complete mess.  

Posted

So there are all these still photos and video clips of 3 offensive linemen blocking 1 guy and other defenders just running free at the QB and/or RB.

I haven't heard any mention of who is making the line calls up front?  Who is doing this?  90% of the time it is the center, but there are times when a guard does it.  I would assume that Rhyan is the culprit here, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone corrected me and it was actually Monk.  Whoever it is, maybe that is the first guy that should be replaced.

Posted
54 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

MLF just said that Laken Tomlinson, who they just signed, might play at left guard or right guard, 

Tomlinson has been in the league for 11 years and has always played left guard. 

No wonder the line is constantly out of sorts and confused. Does MLF just think they are all interchangeable?

This feels like a stretch just to gripe on MLF.  Yes, there is some effort to mirroring your actions between the left side and right... but I'd be more concerned about a vet G that couldn't swap in a pinch rather than the coach (who is monitoring him in practice) saying he can. 

  • Like 1

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted
2 minutes ago, CheezWizHed said:

This feels like a stretch just to gripe on MLF.  Yes, there is some effort to mirroring your actions between the left side and right... but I'd be more concerned about a vet G that couldn't swap in a pinch rather than the coach (who is monitoring him in practice) saying he can. 

Not really a stretch when there’s no current stability between positions on the line. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

Not really a stretch when there’s no current stability between positions on the line. 

I get that you don't have confidence in MLF or his opinions... but pick any LG in the league (starter, backup or PS) that has started for a couple years in the league.  You don't think it is a stretch to say that person couldn't switch to RG and be no worse than Monk starting?  

Seems like MLF could say they sky is blue and you'd debate it right now. 😉

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...