Brewer Fanatic

Thurs. 9/22 - Filling the Gasser Tank

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nashville looks to grab a 3-1 series lead in Louisville, with LHP Robert Gasser making his 4th start in AAA tonight (4.11 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, 10.0 K/9 in 15 1/3 AAA innings). LF Sal Frelick's on-base streak has reached 38 games and 2B Pablo Reyes returns from a recent injury:

Sounds Sep 22 2022.jpg

14 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Two walks already for Gasser. Hopefully we don’t have another Ethan Small.

I think too early to hit the panic button. A lot of guys seem to struggle with walks right after a promotion (Wasn't it Jimmy Nelson who was kind of notorious for it?) and then settle down. If he is still walking 6-per come next year, then yah, it's cause to worry.

6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 8 K.

Another quality start from a Sounds pitcher. 5-1 in the 8th. Glorious stuff. Magic number about to lower to 2.

Also, Gasser, isn't remotely close to Small as a pitcher. He has so much more nasty and so much more stuff. The walks at this point appears to be all learning versus better hitters by my eyes. He's pitching around the zone, not really offering much to hit, and is working around these issues at present. Case and point, hitters are still only hitting 0.220ish against him. We have to remember this is his first full season of Minor League baseball. He started 2022 in High A. He is now pumping out QS's in a playoff push on a highly competitive Triple-A ball club. I'd say the Brewers have to be tickled pink. They'll work on the walks, trust me. He is an analytics heavy, analyze, regroup, tweak etc. pitcher. 

• Like 2

Erceg works a scoreless 8th inning.

This just in:

Lucas Erceg has seriously only allowed 2 runs in his past 19 2/3 IP. Considering where he was when he began 2022 in Biloxi, this is just jaw dropping incredibly awesome. I'm truly just so happy for this young man.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

It’s a good thing the Sounds keep winning because it doesn’t look like Toledo is going to lose another game this season.

Magic Number 1/2 inning from 2 more games. 

(Also, I do want to point out, Toledo literally lost Game 1 of tonight's doubleheader. FWIW. To that end, the Magic Number might actually be One? We'll know when this is over)

Animated GIF

I see Feliciano has two more Passed Balls tonight. 13 on the season. His defense certainly remains suspect. The passed balls I've seen recently were really just slow reactions or flat out drops that smacked his glove dead center. Very odd. Sounds win 5-1.

And, YES indeed:

Magic Number is now ONE Game!

14 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 8 K.

Another quality start from a Sounds pitcher. 5-1 in the 8th. Glorious stuff. Magic number about to lower to 2.

Also, Gasser, isn't remotely close to Small as a pitcher. He has so much more nasty and so much more stuff. The walks at this point appears to be all learning versus better hitters by my eyes. He's pitching around the zone, not really offering much to hit, and is working around these issues at present. Case and point, hitters are still only hitting 0.220ish against him. We have to remember this is his first full season of Minor League baseball. He started 2022 in High A. He is now pumping out QS's in a playoff push on a highly competitive Triple-A ball club. I'd say the Brewers have to be tickled pink. They'll work on the walks, trust me. He is an analytics heavy, analyze, regroup, tweak etc. pitcher. 

Good to know. I only saw him once in Biloxi and thought he got a lot of hitters to chase his slider.  He is now dealing with more experienced hitters who are probably less likely to chase out of the zone in AAA and needs to learn how to put them away. I think he will be good

11 minutes ago, RedStickBrew said:

Good to know. I only saw him once in Biloxi and thought he got a lot of hitters to chase his slider.  He is now dealing with more experienced hitters who are probably less likely to chase out of the zone in AAA and needs to learn how to put them away. I think he will be good

From what I have watched in Gasser's AAA starts is that most of his misses are just bad pitches. More control issues than command issues. He still has gotten plenty of chases when he hits his spots out of the zone. 

Just now, Joseph Zarr said:

Oh my, the hits just keep coming:

Big Jon Singleton drew his team record setting 111th walk tonight. My word. That's a lotta free bags. Man, I love his game.

Otis Nixon's records having a tough 10 days between Ruiz breaking his single game SB record and Singleton breaking his season BB's record.

• Like 1
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1

1 minute ago, wiguy94 said:

From what I have watched in Gasser's AAA starts is that most of his misses are just bad pitches. More control issues than command issues. He still has gotten plenty of chases when he hits his spots out of the zone. 

That sounds like a mechanics or release point issue which can be very correctable with a young guy

25 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Magic Number 1/2 inning from 2 more games. 

(Also, I do want to point out, Toledo literally lost Game 1 of tonight's doubleheader. FWIW. To that end, the Magic Number might actually be One? We'll know when this is over)

Animated GIF

Oh shoot. Saw they were winning tonight but didn’t know they were playing a doubleheader today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedStickBrew said:

That sounds like a mechanics or release point issue which can be very correctable with a young guy

Agreed. A lot of his misses are missed up towards his throwing arm side or down to his glove hand side which to me means release point issues. I think it was his second AAA start he was dominating through 3 innings with something like 5 SO and 70% strikes and then he control issues kicked in and he had to grind the rest of the outing. 

5 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Frelick came out of the game early - hopefully not injury related.

If it was an injury, I don't know when it would have happened. Maybe just wanted to give him an inning off. He's played a lot of baseball this year being his first full pro season.