Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted

Correct me if I’m wrong but the outfield gold glove voting is by position not just the 3 best outfielders?

If so…..then I think Chourio has a real chance of winning his first gold glove in left field…….or am I missing something?

I think that Turang would be the favorite again at 2nd again although Wetherholt is also in the picture ?

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yep, OF GG voting is by position.

Statistically, Chourio is the clear favorite in the NL as he paces all LFers with 12 DRS and 5 OAA/7 FRV. Only way he realistically loses at this point is if Ian Happ's reputation from winning the last 4 years carries over in the voting. 

Turang is locked in a battle with Wetherholt at 2B. Turang laps in DRS at +21, but trails Wetherholt +12 to +21 in OAA. So, could go either way. 

Joey O has a very good shot at utility with 13 OAA between 3B and SS. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Probably a fair thing to add is with Chourio missing a month it could/should be factored in that he's going start probably 30 or so fewer games than Happ 

Posted

Turang is a heavy favorite at 2B. He's leading in SDI which is 25% of the vote. I'd say Chourio is a favorite as well. Ortiz maybe an outside shot for the utility gold glove?

Posted

MLB.com came out with a predictions 2 weeks ago and had no Brewers. 

I think Chourio has passed Ian Happ in every measurable defense category so I don't see how he doesn't win.

Turang and Wetherholt is close Turang leads in DRS and runs +/- (21 to 13 and 19 to 9) but Wetherholt has OAA and FRV 13 to 23 and 13 to 22). Turang also has played over 200 innings more than Wetherholt, I don't know if that helps or hurts. Turang leads PCA in the first 2 as well but I think PCA likely has the Platinum in the bag.

I would like to note that Lara has played 298 innings in RF if you average his stats out to a full year he would be on pace for 36 drs. 

I think Ortiz should win the utility glove but Dubon will probably get it because he plays OF as well, even though Joey's stats are better. Hamilton is close to but probably a step down. 

I notice our teams OAA and FRV are much less than other teams, does that take into effect some positioning. I know how DRS work but no sure on OAA or FRV. 

For what it's worth MItchell has positive stats with a weak start to the year statistically on defense. However I would put him up against PCA the last month or two he has been superb.

Pratt statistically has slowed down but still has the makeup of a future gold glover.

Posted

Is Pratt somewhat limited statistically by playing between Ortiz and Turang? I know with older methods there definitely was an effect if you played next to a really great defender.

Posted
5 minutes ago, igor67 said:

Is Pratt somewhat limited statistically by playing between Ortiz and Turang? I know with older methods there definitely was an effect if you played next to a really great defender.

My guess would be that with the inability to shift that wouldn't be as big as an issue. I definitely could see Joey or Turang "steal a grounder" here or there possibly having a small impact.

Posted
6 minutes ago, igor67 said:

Is Pratt somewhat limited statistically by playing between Ortiz and Turang? I know with older methods there definitely was an effect if you played next to a really great defender.

I've hypothesized about the possible impact of playing alongside great teammates, and how that (may?) influence certain measurements, but I haven't seen any data on that.

Posted
45 minutes ago, igor67 said:

Is Pratt somewhat limited statistically by playing between Ortiz and Turang? I know with older methods there definitely was an effect if you played next to a really great defender.

Definitely maybe.

Samples are kind of small and mixed up between multiple players at SS/3B this year with Rengifo, Hamilton, Ortiz, and Pratt splitting time, but the last two years when we've had more regular players at each spot there has been some interesting accounting between DRS and FRV.

2024
Turang (+22 DRS | +5 FRV)
Adames (-16 DRS | +1 FRV)
Ortiz (+8 DRS | +9 FRV)
2B/SS/3B (+14 DRS | +15 FRV)

2025
Turang (+7 DRS | 0 FRV)
Ortiz (-2 DRS | +10 FRV)
Durbin (+5 DRS | +1 FRV)
2B/SS/3B (+10 DRS | +11 FRV)

Both years the end results for 2B/SS/3B ended up more or less the same overall twixt the two systems, but the individual accounting (especially between SS/2B) varied quite a bit.

This year that hasn't been the case at all with +37 DRS between 2B/SS/3B versus only +16 FRV for the same three spots, so its possible that 2024/25 equalling out was more coincidental than something actually baked into the equations.

Looks like 2021 (-9 DRS | -20 FRV), 2022 (+13 DRS | -2 FRV), and 2023 (+27 DRS | +15 FRV) align more with the overall 2B/SS/3B results from this year too with DRS being considerably more favorable than FRV.

Comparing the two systems for the outfielders as a whole...

2021 (+33 DRS | +7 FRV)
2022 (+14 DRS | +2 FRV)
2023 (+20 DRS | +18 FRV)
2024 (+37 DRS | +20 FRV)
2025 (+2 DRS | +12 FRV)
2026 (+25 DRS | +5 FRV)
2021-26 (+135 DRS | +65 FRV)

I tend to think that whatever internal metrics the Brewers might have to measure defense likely spit out results closer to DRS.

Going back to 2021 the Brewers -0.31 differential between their 3.95 FIP and 3.64 ERA is the best in MLB ahead of LAD with a 0.29 differential.

Knowing that those two really smart teams have shaved three tenths of a run per game over the course of 966 team games leads me to believe that DRS (+262 for MIL, +174 for LAD) is doing a better job of capturing their actual defensive performance than FRV (+105 for MIL, +20 for LAD) does.

Obviously with such disparate values the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, but with the Brewers selling out so hard for run prevention over the last six years I'd think they are doing it because they believe they are saving something like 40 plus runs per season (DRS), versus only like 17 or 18 runs per season (FRV).

  • Like 3
Posted
1 hour ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Chourio definitely should win GG or the voting is broken. Even the great PCA can't match what Chourio has been doing in the OF lately. 

 

Yeah, it will be (is) broken...

Watch, they will give the GG at 2B to someone other than Turang, too.  Oh well.

Posted
On 9/16/2026 at 2:08 PM, Brewcrew82 said:

Yep, OF GG voting is by position.

Statistically, Chourio is the clear favorite in the NL as he paces all LFers with 12 DRS and 5 OAA/7 FRV. Only way he realistically loses at this point is if Ian Happ's reputation from winning the last 4 years carries over in the voting. 

Turang is locked in a battle with Wetherholt at 2B. Turang laps in DRS at +21, but trails Wetherholt +12 to +21 in OAA. So, could go either way. 

Joey O has a very good shot at utility with 13 OAA between 3B and SS. 

My understanding is the Cubs Nico Hoerner is also in that second base race.  I think his wins sandwich Turang's '24 win, but I could be wrong.

Posted

I would tend to agree that on the team level defense being worth closer to 40 runs than 20 compared to average is most likely. 20 runs a year doesn't really explain the Brewers success .

Posted
25 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

My understanding is the Cubs Nico Hoerner is also in that second base race.  I think his wins sandwich Turang's '24 win, but I could be wrong.

Hoerner is well below the leaders in both outs above average and defensive runs saved…….would be shocked if he won it this year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...