Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
4 minutes ago, BruisedCrew said:

Pulling out the win is going to make going to tomorrow’s game a lot more enjoyable.

i’m not going to go through the whole game thread to see if someone else has already made this point.

Unless I’m missing something, in the four playoff games today, all of the runs scored were produced by home runs, except forone of the runs by the White Sox, and the two scored by the Padres. 

and something like a 10-1 record by the team that hits more homers.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave
Posted

Really hate all the talk on this postgame and X about the Pads got so unlucky. Still am pretty sure that France shot is an out, but whatever, luck also plays a role in having 9 runners for them to strand in the first place.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

Some thoughts as I calm myself down.

1) The roof will be a story. Who the hell knows? I thought, off the bat, "no way that stays fair." But it made me nervous. I'll trust the Statcast figures. It doesn't matter in the end. The Padres had chances and couldn't get it done. Credit to the bullpen. Everyone contributed. Special star to Ashby for making things slightly less stressful. 

2) Speaking of stress, I think that was the most stressful playoff game I've seen. Maybe Game 4 in LA in 2018? Maybe 2019? 2011 Game 5? Okay, those two have the edge because of the higher stakes. But this felt more intense than Game 5 against the Cubs, probably because of all the baserunners. I'll call it the second most stressful non-elimination game I've ever seen. I know that sounds like a dumb label, but crap. I was stressed. And I was zen until like 4 minutes prior to first pitch.

3) I actually thought the Padres got the better of the umpiring. Mitchell and Ortiz both failed to challenge high strikes and had two borderline check swing calls go their way. Obviously, the rafter will overshadow that, but I think it's true. The home plate umpiring was pretty good overall.

4) This bullpen felt like it heard everyone talking about the Padres and decided to make a few things clear. We really saw different roster construction philosophies. San Diego used all their best non-Miller arms (Morejon threw 30 pitches), and they don't have a ton of cover after a 7-out start from Ray. We'll see if that hurts them. They weren't able to cash the extra offensive flexibility with the barrage of PRs and PHs in the 8th. Only 11 pitchers might be an issue if they can't get length from King and Pivetta.

5) Credit to the Padres for taking the right approach against Mis. It pains me to give AJ Pierz any credit at all (I have always hated his commentary style), but he was right about the cutters.

6) The Yelich AB with the bases loaded was maybe the biggest one of the game in terms of adding to the stress. It's hard to blame him too much. He had an opposite field approach and tried to get the first pitch in the air. Just didn't work out. I imagine he was crushed in the thread (I can't read these during playoff games--they're hard enough as it is), but really not much to do there. San Diego had excellent positioning all night, and it paid off there too.

7) Murphy pushed the right buttons tonight. I had two concerns. First, I thought he left Hall in one batter too long, but it worked out and maybe saved Megill some bullets for Machado. Second, I was 60-40 in favor of bringing in Romero for Merrill. It worked out, but that ball was smoked.

8) I thought Lara put up some good ABs tonight. Not much to show for it, but he did fine. Pratt was more mixed at the plate. His late AB was real bad. His first was quite good. Glad those guys got the first playoff appearances under their belts.

9) Finally, I think this does take a little pressure off tomorrow. Obviously, you'd much rather be up 2-0. But you really needed to get this one with Miz on the hill. Now, again, the Brewers will have the better starter by overall numbers, and San Diego is going to have to manage a tired bullpen. I doubt they'll have a real quick hook on King, so I think it's a much more "win our way" situation at first pitch.

I think I'm 10 percent calmer now.

Lotsa great stuff, especially in #4. I absolutely love them losing a game while using Morejon for 30 pitches. I can see them going with twelve arms, but eleven is rolling the dice. Now we gotta make it hurt.

Totally agree about the SD approach vs Misiorowski. It's easier to give credit when you still wind up winning, but those were some great ABs.

Not nuts about Yelich swinging early in the count in the bases loaded AB but you're right, it was a very solid approach. Also agree re Lara.

  • Like 1
Posted

Carrying an extra pitcher suddenly feels like a 'thank goodness' stroke to this series. Getting to Morejon and putting stress on him was nice. Mason Miller needs to keep his backside on the bench.

  • Like 4
Posted
1 minute ago, Branyanisthegoat said:

Really hate all the talk on this postgame and X about the Pads got so unlucky. Still am pretty sure that France shot is an out, but whatever, luck also plays a role in having 9 runners for them to strand in the first place.

People really don’t want the brewers to win across the country.   It’s weird

  • Like 1
Posted
1 minute ago, Branyanisthegoat said:

Really hate all the talk on this postgame and X about the Pads got so unlucky. Still am pretty sure that France shot is an out, but whatever, luck also plays a role in having 9 runners for them to strand in the first place.

National media, social media, etc, etc.........If this was a playoff win vs Cleveland or whoever, big whoop. But it's a team on the left coast, with big, big, BIG names. Roofs should be outlawed.

  • Like 1
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted
5 minutes ago, Branyanisthegoat said:

Really hate all the talk on this postgame and X about the Pads got so unlucky. Still am pretty sure that France shot is an out, but whatever, luck also plays a role in having 9 runners for them to strand in the first place.

It's all bitter Cubs fans

  • Like 4
  • WHOA SOLVDD 2
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Posted
3 minutes ago, BCF said:

Respect to the Padres manager here 

 

He knew the rule. It’s just baseball. Chourio caught it and that’s that.  

  • Like 2
Verified Member
Posted
3 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

He knew the rule. It’s just baseball. Chourio caught it and that’s that.  

Yeah but he didn’t go blaming it for the loss and whining about the rule 

  • Like 3
Verified Member
Posted
14 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

What is the sample size we are using?

As any baseball fan would know, you can use any combination of stats to make a 1st. And those other situations…were the conditions the same? Or was the wind blowing in at 15mph?

I don’t know how to take ‘never happened to be a HR before’ without knowing if we are talking 3 examples prior or 100+

It has happened 27 times in Statcast with that exact exit velocity and launch angle.  The ball has traveled on average 312 feet at that exit velocity and launch angle and has gone for a hit once (a double.)  The only time a ball hit at that launch angle ever goes out is extreme winds, obviously not the case here or a really short porch like Fenway or Daikin.

  • Like 2
Posted

Maybe they’ll be able to come up with some analysis of this, but in the one replay where you could really see the ball hitting the roof., it looked to me like the ball was deflected to the right instead of back toward the plate. That would be consistent with the ball either coming down short of the fence or foul and the Stat Cast anaysis.

  • Like 2
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Posted
1 minute ago, BCF said:

Yeah but he didn’t go blaming it for the loss and whining about the rule 

Yes. I agree 

  • Like 1
Posted

I do find it hilarious that there are going to be a sect of fans acting like the Brewers are benefiting from some grand conspiracy. 

Folks I can assure you that with bargaining coming up, the Brewers being in the World Series is the LAST thing that MLB wants if they had a say in it. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Padres and Cubs fans on Twitter are apoplectic . But honestly, a lot of this is on Amin and Pierzynski for so confidently speculating while not knowing the ground rules. They should have immediately said, “no there is no chance that this will be ruled a homer.”

  • Like 3
Posted
12 minutes ago, bucks2281 said:

Padres and Cubs fans on Twitter are apoplectic . But honestly, a lot of this is on Amin and Pierzynski for so confidently speculating while not knowing the ground rules. They should have immediately said, “no there is no chance that this will be ruled a homer.”

Yeah, these guys are paid handsomely to give their opinions & dispense information. When Joe Nobody sitting at home can easily refute what they're spewing coast-to-coast, it's pretty sad. Just prepare better. And if you refuse to, then don't act all-knowing.

Verified Member
Posted
Just now, RobertCrawley said:

An iPad did this.

No, this was done with the good ol' snipping tool from Windows 10.  I won't give Apple a nickel.

  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...