Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Yelich is red hot 🙌🏼


Recommended Posts

Verified Member
12 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

Over the last week …

Yelich was 9-for-23 (.391) with nine runs scored, two doubles, three home runs, five walks and eight RBIs. 

Now do Rowdy, or Adamas. 🤣🤩

Much of the offence had a really good week as well. Its good to see them all coming around.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I've said several times, my benchmark for Yelich is the one we saw in 2018 up to the All Star break.

In 82 games his line was .293/.364/.459/823. He had 11 HR, on pace for about 22.I don't think anyone saw the MVP Yelich of the second half of 2018 and 2019 until the kneecap incident coming.

He was actually tailing off slightly in the second half of 2019 (especially the HR pace), but he still produced an OPS over 1.000 in the second half).

In his last 14 games Yelich's line is .302/.356/.509/.865 with 3 HR. And, as others have pointed out, he is hitting the ball hard, not just getting hits on bloopers and seeing eye grounders.

I'm pretty sure Yelich hasn't had a 2 week stretch even close to this since 2019. If this is representative of what he's going to do the rest of the way (and we know he is capable of it) the boost to the Brewers offense would be huge. 🤞

  • Like 6
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BruisedCrew said:

In his last 14 games Yelich's line is .302/.356/.509/.865 with 3 HR. And, as others have pointed out, he is hitting the ball hard, not just getting hits on bloopers and seeing eye grounders.

I'm pretty sure Yelich hasn't had a 2 week stretch even close to this since 2019. If this is representative of what he's going to do the rest of the way (and we know he is capable of it) the boost to the Brewers offense would be huge. 🤞

He had a streak like this in 2020, though it should be remembered that while he was disappointing in 2020, he was still a decent player (largely fueled by the following stretch of play, though all of August was pretty good).

Christian Yelich Batting Gamelogs for Career Games 931 to 944

Date Tm G GS Rslt PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip aLI WPA acLI cWPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD)
Aug 8 to Aug 22, 2020 MIL 14 14 6-8 59 50 11 13 2 1 4 9 8 0 13 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 .260 .373 .580 .953 .273 .93 0.256 1.12 0.18% 3.44 139.00 186.70
per 162 games 162 162   683 579 127 150 23 12 46 104 93 0 150 12 0 0 0 12 12 0             3.0   2.1% 39.8 1608 2160
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
3 minutes ago, BruisedCrew said:

As I've said several times, my benchmark for Yelich is the one we saw in 2018 up to the All Star break.

In 82 games his line was .293/.364/.459/823. He had 11 HR, on pace for about 22.I don't think anyone saw the MVP Yelich of the second half of 2018 and 2019 until the kneecap incident coming.

He was actually tailing off slightly in the second half of 2019 (especially the HR pace), but he still produced an OPS over 1.000 in the second half).

In his last 14 games Yelich's line is .302/.356/.509/.865 with 3 HR. And, as others have pointed out, he is hitting the ball hard, not just getting hits on bloopers and seeing eye grounders.

I'm pretty sure Yelich hasn't had a 2 week stretch even close to this since 2019. If this is representative of what he's going to do the rest of the way (and we know he is capable of it) the boost to the Brewers offense would be huge. 🤞

This. And his statcast numbers are even better, which shows he's also had a significant amount of bad luck. Just take a look at his XSLG, for instance. At .615, that would represent the second-best mark of his career, ahead of his 2018 MVP season and just a mere 15 points short of his peak 2019 season. The signs are certainly there, and like you, I will be keeping my fingers cross that this continues to hold up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somewhat lost in the Yelich groundball rate discussion: He's still hitting a lot of groundballs (like he did in 18/19) but he's not hitting all those Baltimore chops straight into the dirt in front of the plate which almost never go for hits. I think i can only remember one from this year, and it felt like he hit one at least every 10 at bats last year. I don't know if there's publicly available data which can separate contact quality on groundballs, but it feels important intuitively.

advocates for the devil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Could be wrong here but I think Yelich is way more dangerous with runners on base, especially scoring position. It is a lot harder to get the proper shift to snag his rocket ground balls.

It is too early for me to think he is "back" but we will see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
39 minutes ago, JohnBriggs12 said:

He had a 20 game stretch from August 11, 2021 to September 1st where he hit .346/.391/.513.  He hit safely in all 19 games he started in that stretch.

This is true, but what it also fails to recognize is that Yelich's underlying batted-ball metrics were never as pretty as they are right now. Even during that stretch, one could tell by the eye test that he still did not look right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Playing the Reds so he should get hot again.  This is one terrible division.  Reds may be the worst team in baseball history or at least in the running.  Cubs and Pirates not much ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WV Brew said:

Playing the Reds so he should get hot again.  This is one terrible division.  Reds may be the worst team in baseball history or at least in the running.  Cubs and Pirates not much ahead.

I saw a lot of that 2003 Tigers team. The Reds have some tough competition to be named worst team ever.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christian Yelich is such a weird player. It really seems like in 2020 and 2021 he split his skill set into two opposite extremes that were both kind of bad, and now is merging them together again. Another example of this if you look at his statcast page: in 2020 he crushed fastballs and couldn't hit changeups, then in 2021 he crushed changeups but couldn't hit fastballs, and now he's hitting up them both well, but not as well as the previous peaks.

 

yelich run value.png

advocates for the devil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PlayerHader said:

Nice game today to salvage his series vs the Reds?

Triple for the cycle? Why not?

Done … after a brief “cool streak” - Yelich was back to his MVP-level days against the hapless Reds today

What are the chances that all three of his cycles are against the same team (1 in 29 - but … amazing nonetheless)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

that's a "record" that might stand for a long, long time

  • Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, edfunderburk said:

Done … after a brief “cool streak” - Yelich was back to his MVP-level days against the hapless Reds today

What are the chances that all three of his cycles are against the same team (1 in 29 - but … amazing nonetheless)

1 in 29 for one, 1 in 24k or so for all 3.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...