Brewer Fanatic

2022 MLB Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 11-20 and UDFA Signings

There are still some good players on the board that may be tough signs. Reminder that teams often use money saved in rounds 1-10 to go overslot on players taken in rounds 11-20. Not signing a player after the tenth round doesn’t impact your bonus pool like it does in rounds 1-10 where you need to sign all of your picks in order to have use of your full allotment. It’s also why you’ll typically see some bigger names selected in rounds 11-15 than in rounds 6-10. One added element this year is undrafted free agents are able to get up to $125,000 without impacting a team’s bonus pool, and can be offered beyond that amount with the excess amount over the $125k going against the team’s bonus pool. 

Not just “at Night” anymore.

5 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

This is the day of the draft where I nod along and as players are announced, I mutter "yep, that's definitely a human being that probably plays baseball".

While there were downsides to reducing the length of the draft, it is at least less likely to be a graduation gift for a scout’s nephew now.

• WHOA SOLVDD 1

Verified Member

Cameron Wagoner, tall and skinny RHP from Eastern Michigan is the pick in round 11.  Looks like he didn't pitch for EMU this year, only a handful of innings in the Cape Cod League.

Luke Adams, a HS 3B from Hinsdale, IL, is the pick in round 12.

Zane Petty, a HS RHP from Texas, is the pick in round 13.  Gavin Kilen wend three picks before to the Red Sox.

Usually there are one or two of these guys who go from, I've never heard of him to, OMG we have to sign him or else the whole draft is a bust.  I'll have to wait for the experts to tell us who those are, though, but maybe Adams is one?

The new d/f process will also potentially be in play for some of these guys I imagine?  Brewers used this to great success back in the day, it seems like their kind of thing in its current incarnation as well.

Looking back at past draft during the Stearns era it looks like every year except 2019 (went heavy on college guys) and 2020 (only 5 rounds) they have signed some guys to over slot bonuses in rounds ten and beyond...

Chad McLanahan (1.2M), Max Lazar (475K), Je'Von Ward (475K), Justin Bullock (295K), Korry Howell (210K), Reese Olson (440K), Wade Beasley (255K), Caden Vire (497K), Quinton Lowe (347K) and Jace Avina (255K).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, igor67 said:

I'm trying to make sense of the blurb on Brady Neal in the draft tracker that says he was expected to be a Day 1 guy, but doesn't have any plus tools?

I assumed it meant he was pretty good across the board, but had no standout skill.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

I assumed it meant he was pretty good across the board, but had no standout skill.

Yeah, the FanGraphs scouting report (they had him #51 on their board) made it sound like he's a pretty good bet to stick behind the plate defensively and he has a solid approach with a chance for a plus hit tool.

The Brewers drafted quite a few High schoolers 11-20, 5 by my count.  It would not surprise me if only one or two of these actually signed.  The Brewers can roll the dice as they really don't need to draft many players.  They have plenty of international signings to fill Arizona and the lower levels of the minors.  They don't need the draft for org soldiers.