Brewer Fanatic

Wed. 9/21 - Can Nashville and Lindblom Take Care of Business?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

AAA Nashville seeks a win to edge ahead 2-1 in their series in Louisville and hold off the hard-charging Toledo Mud Huns (winners of 12 straight; now 4.0 games back). RHP Josh Lindblom will look to continue his excellent recent form (2.06 ERA with 5-0 record and 40 Ks in last 35 IP). Rehabbing CF Jonathan Davis has a 5-game hitting streak, while OF Joey Wiemer and INF/OF Pablo Reyes remain absent (both last played on September 17th):

Sounds Sep 21 2022.jpg

1 hour ago, damuelle said:

AAA Nashville seeks a win to edge ahead 2-1 in their home series against Louisville and hold off the hard-charging Toledo Mud Huns (winners of 12 straight; now 4.0 games back). RHP Josh Lindblom will look to continue his excellent recent form (2.06 ERA with 5-0 record and 40 Ks in last 35 IP). Rehabbing CF Jonathan Davis has a 5-game hitting streak, while OF Joey Wiemer and INF/OF Pablo Reyes remain absent (both last played on September 17th):

Sounds Sep 21 2022.jpg

Pssssst, very much a road series. Jeff Hem definitely is not on the call. Louisville’s booth is quite nice however.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joseph Zarr said:

I heart Josh Lindbolm. That is all. That’s the post. 4-0 Sounds through 5 IP. Louisville is missing a certain stat in their Box Score. It is marked a fat zero.

Just out of curiosity, who would you say has been the better pitcher this year between him and Alexander? I know you love all of our minor leaguers but I wonder if Lindblom might have performed better in Alexander's spot start role. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Just out of curiosity, who would you say has been the better pitcher this year between him and Alexander? I know you love all of our minor leaguers but I wonder if Lindblom might have performed better in Alexander's spot start role. 

Alexander only has some 12 starts actually. He was great when there - a part of just a solid Triple-A staff. Lindbolm is on the heels of his 6th consecutive quality start? He’s been crucially good at the most important time. Other than a stint mid-summer when he was admittedly working on things ON the mound (which he admits was a mistake) and struggled, he’s been a stud. I love watching him pitch. As to would Josh perform better in the spot starting role? He’s struggled in his most recent MLB stints. Hard to say

• Like 2

Don't want to slight Ruiz, so in almost identical numbers of plate appearances his OPS in the international league is only slightly lower then his PCL numbers this year. His BA and SLG are actually higher with Nashville.

It’s 14-1 Sounds but let’s call a spade a spade:

Cam Robinson has struggled mightily since his worthy promotion. This is a great test for him and will be key to his growth and off-season work. The plus 8 ERA is real - as is the 0.350 BAA and the 2.00 WHIP. Very much a work in progress and he very much has plenty of off-season work to do. 

Navarreto hit a HR to push the lead to 17-1 in the top of the 9th. Bats pitcher next pitch in the middle of Frelick's back. Pitcher was rightfully ejected on what was very clearly a intentional attempt at hitting Frelick.

2 hours ago, wiguy94 said:

CAM ROBINSON IMMACULATE INNING TO FINISH THE GAME OFF!

What’s wild is this isn’t even mentioned in passing on the Sounds Twitter or in the post game article. I mean that’s an incredible inning of work after a rough 8th and a rough overall Triple-A experience. Hopefully, this is the match needed to light his shutdown fire. We all know he has it in there. He’s finding his way. Love to see it!

2 hours ago, wiguy94 said:

Navarreto hit a HR to push the lead to 17-1 in the top of the 9th. Bats pitcher next pitch in the middle of Frelick's back. Pitcher was rightfully ejected on what was very clearly a intentional attempt at hitting Frelick.

It should be noted, the HBP is fishy after the 3-run Jack and obviously nobody wants to see Frelick hit whatsoever in the scenario. AND, Cal had just beaned 2 Bats in the bottom of the 8th. Which made the immaculate inning even sweeter.

7 hours ago, Robocaller said:

If I counted correctly, Frelick didn't have a HR in his first 30 games in AAA, then hit 4 in his last 8 games. Is he doing something different, or is it just random?

I made this observation elsewhere, but his power has seemingly started showing up about a month into each level so far in his career (though it's obviously a small sample and could be coincidence). I personally think the bat-to-ball skills carry him for awhile while he is finding his footing at each level and when he starts getting more comfortable he is able to tap into the XBH pop a bit more.

• Like 3

I just have this feeling that Frelick will be like a left-handed Craig Biggio. Obviously, everyone here is dreaming that Chourio becomes Acuna 2.0, while cautiously believing in Wiemer/Ruiz/Mitchell/Turang/Quero, but for my money, I'm betting on Frelick.

I truly dislike the phrase, "it factor," (ugh, just typing it bothers me), but I believe Frelick has "it". I think his modest power will be an afterthought in what will be a great MLB career.

6 hours ago, Smichaelis9 said:

I made this observation elsewhere, but his power has seemingly started showing up about a month into each level so far in his career (though it's obviously a small sample and could be coincidence). I personally think the bat-to-ball skills carry him for awhile while he is finding his footing at each level and when he starts getting more comfortable he is able to tap into the XBH pop a bit more.

If he can hit nearly .400 before he "finds his footing," maybe we don't want him to ever find his footing. 🙂
But being more comfortable won't do much unless he's doing something different when he becomes comfortable. I wonder what batted ball stats might tell us (launch angle, exit velocity); are there batted ball data available for minor leaguers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robocaller said:

If he can hit nearly .400 before he "finds his footing," maybe we don't want him to ever find his footing. 🙂
But being more comfortable won't do much unless he's doing something different when he becomes comfortable. I wonder what batted ball stats might tell us (launch angle, exit velocity); are there batted ball data available for minor leaguers?

There are but they are behind paywalls. 

• Like 1