Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
16 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:

So I can re-disagree with it? 

Why?

Pretty much the same thing he did when he hit the ball 105 back up the middle earlier. 

Yep. We had a # of base hits tonite where the ball wasn't 'lifted', but was hit hard.

  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Cooper Pratt---he was poor in his 1st playoff game Saturday, much better Sunday, and I thought played like a veteran today. His ABs were first rate. As for the error, I saw a side view & he definitely had his lower half all off-kilter on the throw due to the bat coming at him. It's a shame because it wasn't close to hitting him; just an instinctive thing. Even then, if it doesn't hit the seam it probably at least gets smothered by Bauers, holding Bogaerts at third. Certainly an E-6 but a tough break.

I don't have much stomach for ripping on May. He threw a way-too-good 1-2 pitch to Taylor leading off the 3rd; should've been at or above the top of the zone. That cost him a run eventually. My only other bugaboo with him was we got him a run & he went out & threw 5 balls to start the next inning, but they didn't score thanks to Romero. He didn't put us in a situation where we were severely underwater, which I think we all would've signed up for.

Before the series I mentioned that I thought Garrett Mitchell could be a conduit in the post-season or an albatross. The full story hasn't been written yet but he couldn't have been worse tonight. I'm sure Bauers received plenty of guff in this thread, and rightfully so. But at least they pitched Bauers really well. He still had a bad night but they gave him very little & IIRC outside of one AB they were ahead of him all night. OTOH, it made no difference with Mitchell tonite---get ahead in the count, fall behind, on the edge, right down the middle---he was missing everything.

It was a tough call, but I'd have wanted Hamilton to try to steal in the 8th & if he doesn't make it so be it, then Chourio leads off the 9th. But I can see both sides of that one.

Yelich is seeing the ball right now. If he liked the first pitch there, I'm fine with him swinging. Always a chance you'll find a hole going that way; just not this time. I think it should be understood now why he & Frelick are being relied on.

As our old friend who is now cashing checks in Chicago used to say, the "next hit". 3-4 Chances for that & came up empty.

The one thing I will say about May is the first two innings his velo was up and his command was good. After that, his velo was down and his command was bad. That's who he is right now.

I agree with Hamilton stealing. He's fast, and the Padres catcher is not A plus. Hammie on second base puts a lot of pressure on San Diego. But I think Chourio swung on pitches and Hammie didn't have a chance to give it a go.

Garrett is just not picking up the ball. He gets a fastball in for a strike. Then an offspeed pitch away from a strike. And then he looks completely helpless. I hope Vogie helps him somehow.  He needs to be good if we're going to have a chance at the big prize.

Agree with Yeli swinging. He got a pitch he liked. He got good wood on it. The baseball gods just didn't help us on that one. We'll get them next time.

  • Like 4
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Cooper Pratt---he was poor in his 1st playoff game Saturday, much better Sunday, and I thought played like a veteran today. His ABs were first rate. As for the error, I saw a side view & he definitely had his lower half all off-kilter on the throw due to the bat coming at him. It's a shame because it wasn't close to hitting him; just an instinctive thing. Even then, if it doesn't hit the seam it probably at least gets smothered by Bauers, holding Bogaerts at third. Certainly an E-6 but a tough break.

I don't have much stomach for ripping on May. He threw a way-too-good 1-2 pitch to Taylor leading off the 3rd; should've been at or above the top of the zone. That cost him a run eventually. My only other bugaboo with him was we got him a run & he went out & threw 5 balls to start the next inning, but they didn't score thanks to Romero. He didn't put us in a situation where we were severely underwater, which I think we all would've signed up for.

Before the series I mentioned that I thought Garrett Mitchell could be a conduit in the post-season or an albatross. The full story hasn't been written yet but he couldn't have been worse tonight. I'm sure Bauers received plenty of guff in this thread, and rightfully so. But at least they pitched Bauers really well. He still had a bad night but they gave him very little & IIRC outside of one AB they were ahead of him all night. OTOH, it made no difference with Mitchell tonite---get ahead in the count, fall behind, on the edge, right down the middle---he was missing everything.

It was a tough call, but I'd have wanted Hamilton to try to steal in the 8th & if he doesn't make it so be it, then Chourio leads off the 9th. But I can see both sides of that one.

Yelich is seeing the ball right now. If he liked the first pitch there, I'm fine with him swinging. Always a chance you'll find a hole going that way; just not this time. I think it should be understood now why he & Frelick are being relied on.

As our old friend who is now cashing checks in Chicago used to say, the "next hit". 3-4 Chances for that & came up empty.

I think I agree all the way around. I'd add Contreras has been great. Frelick has had really good ABs... his last one with men on 1st and 2nd was not great, reaching out at a pitch well off the plate, but in general. 

They have the books on Chourio... make him chase. He has to adjust now. 

Pratt has been impressive... that throw notwithstanding. That cost us a run. Boegarts saved them at least two. Merrill saved them a couple(Chourio and Frelick). 

***I absolutely agree with Hamilton, but Chourio didn't take a pitch, so even the hypothetical didn't matter, but you have to try and get Lara in scoring position there. 

We face Buehler tomorrow. We have to be patient. Get back into that pen again. They're already worn down. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Mitchell is indeed an albatross.  He isn't seeing the ball wee at all swinging at balls and watching strikes go right over the plate.

Even though there was a right-hander on the mound Mitchell's third at bat he should have been pinch hit for.

Posted
1 minute ago, RobertCrawley said:

The one thing I will say about May is the first two innings his velo was up and his command was good. After that, his velo was down and his command was bad. That's who he is right now.

I agree with Hamilton stealing. He's fast, and the Padres catcher is not A plus. Hammie on second base puts a lot of pressure on San Diego. But I think Chourio swung on pitches and Hammie didn't have a chance to give it a go.

Garrett is just not picking up the ball. He gets a fastball in for a strike. Then an offspeed pitch away from a strike. And then he looks completely helpless. I hope Vogie helps him somehow.  He needs to be good if we're going to have a chance at the big prize.

Agree with Yeli swinging. He got a pitch he liked. He got good wood on it. The baseball gods just didn't help us on that one. We'll get them next time.

It's literally... just trust your talent. 

This isn't Caleb Durbin. He's got exceptional bat speed. But he's... not swinging freely. It's tight and ugly and... the pitch selection is not good. 

I'd be happy with Lara in CF, Frelick in RF tomorrow... and if Mitchell is back in there, I would hope he'd figure it out and be aggressive IN the zone. He's looking for Walks... can't count on that. 

  • Like 1

.

Posted
25 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

Here’s the thing ….

Bauers also sucks defensively.  

I think Bauers is somewhat overrated defensively as a 1B, but I'll take him over Vaughn at 1B every day. That doesn't mean you never start Vaughn there, but I really don't think you're going to see him over Bauers tomorrow vs Buehler. Usually on this team, "--------- needs to be better for us, I still believe in him", trumps "-------sucks, I'm getting him out of there!!!!" And it works more often than not.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Cooper Pratt---he was poor in his 1st playoff game Saturday, much better Sunday, and I thought played like a veteran today. His ABs were first rate. As for the error, I saw a side view & he definitely had his lower half all off-kilter on the throw due to the bat coming at him. It's a shame because it wasn't close to hitting him; just an instinctive thing. Even then, if it doesn't hit the seam it probably at least gets smothered by Bauers, holding Bogaerts at third. Certainly an E-6 but a tough break.

I don't have much stomach for ripping on May. He threw a way-too-good 1-2 pitch to Taylor leading off the 3rd; should've been at or above the top of the zone. That cost him a run eventually. My only other bugaboo with him was we got him a run & he went out & threw 5 balls to start the next inning, but they didn't score thanks to Romero. He didn't put us in a situation where we were severely underwater, which I think we all would've signed up for.

Before the series I mentioned that I thought Garrett Mitchell could be a conduit in the post-season or an albatross. The full story hasn't been written yet but he couldn't have been worse tonight. I'm sure Bauers received plenty of guff in this thread, and rightfully so. But at least they pitched Bauers really well. He still had a bad night but they gave him very little & IIRC outside of one AB they were ahead of him all night. OTOH, it made no difference with Mitchell tonite---get ahead in the count, fall behind, on the edge, right down the middle---he was missing everything.

It was a tough call, but I'd have wanted Hamilton to try to steal in the 8th & if he doesn't make it so be it, then Chourio leads off the 9th. But I can see both sides of that one.

Yelich is seeing the ball right now. If he liked the first pitch there, I'm fine with him swinging. Always a chance you'll find a hole going that way; just not this time. I think it should be understood now why he & Frelick are being relied on.

As our old friend who is now cashing checks in Chicago used to say, the "next hit". 3-4 Chances for that & came up empty.

Really good post.

Had a bad feeling about tonight. Have been good all years at rebounding from tough moments. I think tomorrow we see why this years team is different than last years.

  • Like 1
Posted
16 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Mitchell is indeed an albatross.  He isn't seeing the ball well at all swinging at balls and watching strikes go right over the plate.

My biggest issue with him tonight was swinging at STRIKES, and not putting them in play. But yeah, he took a couple down the pipe, too.

  • Like 1
Posted
23 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:

EVERYONE has trouble scoring runs in the playoffs... because teams do things like this, bring their ace back in to get the save.

And playing in THREE 1-run games is an argument AGAINST playing a guy with poor defense at 3rd, not for it.

 

So doing it that way has got us where? Maybe loading up on our best bats might actually give us a different result?  But whatever you say no worries. I wish we had put the knee to the throat tonight.

 

Lets just win tomorrow.

Posted
30 minutes ago, bm1090 said:

He cooked us last time, but that’s a guy we can get to. Wonder what’s going on w Morejon

I was shocked that he wasn't used for the 9th. My guess is King talked Stammen into going two innings, which led to him being able to hold Morejon back for tomorrow.

Joe Musgrove, who I believe has pitched once in the last two years, might get used tomorrow. Just a feeling.

Posted
41 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:



And playing in THREE 1-run games is an argument AGAINST playing a guy with poor defense at 3rd, not for it.

The clincher.

@sveumrulesused to talk about sequencing. You can call it that, you can call it clutch hitting, whatever. Bottom line, the Brewers had eleven hits & drew four walks. You can't do that & only score three runs w/o your opponent playing some solid & timely defense.

Ks figure into that too, and Bauers & Mitchell were the obvious culprits tonite in that area.

  • Like 1
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

I was shocked that he wasn't used for the 9th. My guess is King talked Stammen into going two innings, which led to him being able to hold Morejon back for tomorrow.

Joe Musgrove, who I believe has pitched once in the last two years, might get used tomorrow. Just a feeling.

They kept saying he was "down" today... which makes ABSOLUTELY zero sense when you look at how often he threw multiple innings and threw ~30 pitches this year. He did it like 5 times the first week of the season and pitch in like 2, 2, 3, 4, 2 days later. 

I wonder if it was a decoy to impact who hits for us. 

.

Posted
27 minutes ago, greenlawler said:

 

So doing it that way has got us where? Maybe loading up on our best bats might actually give us a different result?  But whatever you say no worries. I wish we had put the knee to the throat tonight.

 

Lets just win tomorrow.

103 wins, #1 record in the game, up 2-0, now 2-1 vs the hottest team in the league offensively(coming in) and then just a COUPLE plays. Boegarts makes a diving stop keeping the ball in the IF; 1 run.
107+ up the middle vs Yelich with=at least 1 run.
Merrill diving catch on Chourio bullet to left.
Conversely-Pratt spiking one, +1 run for the Padres
Passed ball by... Hall. That was the margin. 

It was a game won or loss on the margins. 


But I'd say it's gotten us pretty damn far this year. 

 

.

Posted
2 hours ago, nate82 said:

Last I checked 7 is less than 14.  He had a higher launch angle on a ball up in the zone.  This was middle far away.  Again this was a bad pitch to swing at.  A 7 degree launch angle that went nearly right at the SS is never a good outcome no matter what the exit velocity is.  If he would have gotten the 14 degree launch angle again it is a hit.  But Yelich can’t do that on balls on the outside of the plate anymore.

Horrible horrible decision to swing at that pitch.

Oh... so then it's not so much he CAN'T lift the ball, it's when he hit it 107, it just happened to be right at someone and because you know the outcome, you'd prefer he go down 0-1 than taking his best swing and BLISTERING a ball up the middle in ALMOST identical fashion to what Chourio did to walk off the Padres in game 2?

But sure, you got me. When the ball goes 107 right at a player, it's not a good outcome.

What you DON'T have is that the PROCESS was bad and you just keep saying... basically, 'yeah huh,' and... then... it was a "horrible" decision. 



LOL... 107, again, ALMOST IDENTICAL to Jackson Chourio.

107.1 7 LA
108 8 LA

The difference, they TRIED to make a diving play on Chourio, they didn't. 
They tried to make a diving play on Yelich... they did. 

ALSO, on the previous AB he hit the ball 107.2 with a 10 LA(HUGE difference... I guess).
image.png.7f59bc92705b165847c74f488200b7ce.png

So I GUESS I'll put down Jackson in "horrible" swing decision in Gm2 also... if it was 0-0? 

You're just dug in. There's no coherent argument that it "horrible decision to swing at that pitch." Sometimes... baseballs are hit REALLY hard at players. And when you have an xBA of .670 on a ball, sure, you can ARGUE it's a bad decision or process, but do you really believe it? I'm skeptical you do. 


Yelich had ELITE ABs to tonight. 2-4 1BB, he hit the ball hard 3 times and they made a great play to get him out. His performance, if ANYTHING, should be a huge reason for optimism. Not a "horrible" decision. 

This isn't little league playing pepper. Sometimes you smoke a ball and it's right at someone when facing an ace. The OUTCOME does not always determine the quality of the PROCESS. 

.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...