Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
Just now, nate82 said:

Did he lift the ball yes or no?  The not lifting the ball was key there please reread what I wrote.  

So I can re-disagree with it? 

Why?

Pretty much the same thing he did when he hit the ball 105 back up the middle earlier. 

  • Like 1

.

Posted
2 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

Averaging 3.3 runs a game in the playoffs while one of your best hitters rides pine. 

It’s a bad look, 

And usually is a short stay.

If we dont hit the 4 run mark again the season will end sooner than we want,

  • Like 1
Posted
Just now, greenlawler said:

So you legit think not having Vaughn's bat but having him at third would not be an advantage for the Brewers? Come on man.......Did you actually see that Vaughn was not bad at third? or do you just assume?

We actually saw it. 

  • Disagree 1

.

Posted
1 minute ago, BCF said:

Difference of the game was that Padres played way better defense 

They saved potentially 3 runs while the Brewers defense cost one run 

Or maybe it was because our offense did not score 5 runs. 

Posted
Just now, adambr2 said:

Averaging 3.3 runs a game in the playoffs while one of your best hitters rides pine. 

It’s a bad look, 

To be fair for the DS...

Cleveland is averaging 1.5

San Diego is averaging 3.

Chicago is averaging 3.5

Tampa is averaging 3.

NY is averaging 1.

Atlanta is averaging 2.33

LA is averaging 3.3.

 

Only one team is outscoring us.

 

 

  • Like 2
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:

We actually saw it. 

I did too, it was not bad. 

I have been transparent, I hate watching playoff baseball, but I listen/watch every regular season Brewers game

Posted
5 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Did he lift the ball yes or no?  The not lifting the ball was key there please reread what I wrote.  

You can get base hits without lifting the ball. 

  • Like 2
Posted
Just now, greenlawler said:

I did too, it was not bad. 

Ok, well, setting aside our personal opinions, I don't think ANY manager is starting Andrew Vaughn at 3B vs a team as good as SD(or really any team) where the defense is the difference. 

Boagarts gets two diving plays, saves two runs. 

I mean, you could also look at the fact he hasn't played there is whole career, a poor defensive 1B with 68 innings, almost all coming this year... at 3B seems like a bad idea, but... sure. 

  • Like 1

.

Posted
7 minutes ago, BCF said:

Not to mention Jackson robbing Frelick and JC of extra base hits to lead off the inning early on. Could have very well been runner at 2nd and 0 outs in the 1st and 3rd innings 

Yep been impressed with the Pads D. These are just two good teams goin at it. It's playoff baseball it's gonna make you nervous all day and be torture to watch and it's living up to that so far.

  • Like 6
Posted
4 minutes ago, greenlawler said:

Or maybe it was because our offense did not score 5 runs. 

And our offense scores 5 runs if their defense isn't outstanding. 

  • Like 2

.

Posted

That sucked. Entirely. Completely. Pretty much offset the walk off mojo., and probably flipped it. Counting on stringing hits together continuously is a fool’s errand. 

  • WHOA SOLVDD 1
Posted
2 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:

Pretty much the same thing he did when he hit the ball 105 back up the middle earlier. 

Last I checked 7 is less than 14.  He had a higher launch angle on a ball up in the zone.  This was middle far away.  Again this was a bad pitch to swing at.  A 7 degree launch angle that went nearly right at the SS is never a good outcome no matter what the exit velocity is.  If he would have gotten the 14 degree launch angle again it is a hit.  But Yelich can’t do that on balls on the outside of the plate anymore.

Horrible horrible decision to swing at that pitch.

Posted

Cooper Pratt---he was poor in his 1st playoff game Saturday, much better Sunday, and I thought played like a veteran today. His ABs were first rate. As for the error, I saw a side view & he definitely had his lower half all off-kilter on the throw due to the bat coming at him. It's a shame because it wasn't close to hitting him; just an instinctive thing. Even then, if it doesn't hit the seam it probably at least gets smothered by Bauers, holding Bogaerts at third. Certainly an E-6 but a tough break.

I don't have much stomach for ripping on May. He threw a way-too-good 1-2 pitch to Taylor leading off the 3rd; should've been at or above the top of the zone. That cost him a run eventually. My only other bugaboo with him was we got him a run & he went out & threw 5 balls to start the next inning, but they didn't score thanks to Romero. He didn't put us in a situation where we were severely underwater, which I think we all would've signed up for.

Before the series I mentioned that I thought Garrett Mitchell could be a conduit in the post-season or an albatross. The full story hasn't been written yet but he couldn't have been worse tonight. I'm sure Bauers received plenty of guff in this thread, and rightfully so. But at least they pitched Bauers really well. He still had a bad night but they gave him very little & IIRC outside of one AB they were ahead of him all night. OTOH, it made no difference with Mitchell tonite---get ahead in the count, fall behind, on the edge, right down the middle---he was missing everything.

It was a tough call, but I'd have wanted Hamilton to try to steal in the 8th & if he doesn't make it so be it, then Chourio leads off the 9th. But I can see both sides of that one.

Yelich is seeing the ball right now. If he liked the first pitch there, I'm fine with him swinging. Always a chance you'll find a hole going that way; just not this time. I think it should be understood now why he & Frelick are being relied on.

As our old friend who is now cashing checks in Chicago used to say, the "next hit". 3-4 Chances for that & came up empty.

  • Like 4
Posted
5 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:

Ok, well, setting aside our personal opinions, I don't think ANY manager is starting Andrew Vaughn at 3B vs a team as good as SD(or really any team) where the defense is the difference. 

Boagarts gets two diving plays, saves two runs. 

I mean, you could also look at the fact he hasn't played there is whole career, a poor defensive 1B with 68 innings, almost all coming this year... at 3B seems like a bad idea, but... sure. 

I get this. But the Brewers achilleas heal in the playoffs has been lack of offense. You want to actually change the narrative you lean to offense. Tonight would have been the night to close it out and not play defense. 

  • Sad 1
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Cooper Pratt---he was poor in his 1st playoff game Saturday, much better Sunday, and I thought played like a veteran today. His ABs were first rate. As for the error, I saw a side view & he definitely had his lower half all off-kilter on the throw due to the bat coming at him. It's a shame because it wasn't close to hitting him; just an instinctive thing. Even then, if it doesn't hit the seam it probably at least gets smothered by Bauers. Certainly an E-6 but a tough break.

I don't have much stomach for ripping on May. He threw a way-too-good 1-2 pitch to Taylor leading off the 3rd; should've been at or above the top of the zone. That cost him a run eventually. My only other bugaboo with him was we got him a run & he went out & threw 5 balls to start the next inning, but they didn't score thanks to Romero.

Before the series I mentioned that I thought Garrett Mitchell could be a conduit in the post-season or an albatross. The full story hasn't been written yet but he couldn't have been worse tonight. I'm sure Bauers received plenty of guff in this thread, and rightfully so. But at least they pitched Bauers really well. He still had a bad night but they gave him very little & IIRC outside of one AB they were ahead of him all night. OTOH, it made no difference with Mitchell tonite---get ahead in the count, fall behind, on the edge, right down the middle---he was missing everything.

It was a tough call, but I'd have wanted Hamilton to try to steal in the 8th & if he doesn't make it so be it, then Chourio leads off the 9th. But I can see both sides of that one.

Yelich is seeing the ball right now. If he liked the first pitch there, I'm fine with him swinging. Always a chance you'll find a hole going that way; just not this time. I think it should be understood now why he & Frelick are being relied on.

As our old friend who is now cashing checks in Chicago used to say, the "next hit". 3-4 Chances for that & came up empty.

Mitchell is indeed an albatross.  He isn't seeing the ball well at all swinging at balls and watching strikes go right over the plate.

Posted
5 minutes ago, jw5511986 said:

So Buehler is going for them, any idea for us?

He cooked us last time, but that’s a guy we can get to. Wonder what’s going on w Morejon

Posted
8 minutes ago, BrewerFan said:

Ok, well, setting aside our personal opinions, I don't think ANY manager is starting Andrew Vaughn at 3B vs a team as good as SD(or really any team) where the defense is the difference. 

Boagarts gets two diving plays, saves two runs. 

I mean, you could also look at the fact he hasn't played there is whole career, a poor defensive 1B with 68 innings, almost all coming this year... at 3B seems like a bad idea, but... sure. 

Please don't tell me starting Vaughn at 3B has been brought up.

  • Like 1
Posted
6 minutes ago, greenlawler said:

I get this. But the Brewers achilleas heal in the playoffs has been lack of offense. You want to actually change the narrative you lean to offense. Tonight would have been the night to close it out and not play defense. 

EVERYONE has trouble scoring runs in the playoffs... because teams do things like this, bring their ace back in to get the save.

And playing in THREE 1-run games is an argument AGAINST playing a guy with poor defense at 3rd, not for it.

  • Love 1

.

Posted
Just now, Jim French Stepstool said:

Please don't tell me starting Vaughn at 3B has been brought up.

It's... yes. That's the argument. 

We haven't been scoring(nobody in these playoffs have been because... it's the post-season) and we should start Vaughn at 3B. Not MY position, but an argument. 

  • Like 1

.

Posted
Just now, BrewerFan said:

EVERYONE has trouble scoring runs in the playoffs... because teams do things like this, bring their ace back in to get the save.

And playing in THREE 1-run games is an argument AGAINST playing a guy with poor defense at 3rd, not for it.

You do you no worries. I don't agree. I think this series might be over if Vaughn had been at third tonight lol........Seriously I just think an offensive bat can outweigh a position that might get one or two hard to play balls. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...