Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Blake Perkins

12 minutes ago, DR28 said:

A major league deal??? You couldnt get this guy on a MiLB deal, ok.

A major league deal doesn't mean much if the players still has options, which Perkins does. Rather, the major league contract provides an advantage over other teams in signing the player. Perkins almost certainly had interest from other teams on a minor league contract, so the Brewers decided to ensure that they signed him by offering him a major league contract. In all likelihood, Perkins goes to AAA to help replace the expected exodus of our top outfield prospects. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

If you’re going to commit to the rookies, then commit to the rookies. We don’t need AAAA guys taking playing time away from them.

Perkins isn't going to be taking playing time from them. He has options remaining and is almost certainly headed to AAA. Depth is a good thing. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

A major league deal doesn't mean much if the players still has options, which Perkins does. Rather, the major league contract provides an advantage over other teams in signing the player. Perkins almost certainly had interest from other teams on a minor league contract, so the Brewers decided to ensure that they signed him by offering him a major league contract. In all likelihood, Perkins goes to AAA to help replace the expected exodus of our top outfield prospects. 

Except it burns a 40-man slot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

Except it burns a 40-man slot.

Okay. But he's still behind Yelich, Taylor, Mitchell, Ruiz, and. almost certainly, Frelick in the pecking order. AAA depth, which is good to have. He also has an intriguing skillset with a high OBP and a great glove/speed. 

He has never hit above .255 in even a partial season, and his minor league career BA is .234. he has little power (his 15 HR in 2022 far exceeds his previous high). He strikes out a good bit in spite of his lack of power.

It boggles the mind that they signed him to a major league contract.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

He has never hit above .255 in even a partial season, and his minor league career BA is .234. he has little power (his 15 HR in 2022 far exceeds his previous high). He strikes out a good bit in spite of his lack of power.

It boggles the mind that they signed him to a major league contract.

Walks a ton and plays great defense with good speed. That's valuable to have coming up from AAA if they ever did need him due to injuries/underperformance.

Also, just because they sign him to a major league contract doesn't mean he's going to be on the 40 man come opening day. 

5 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Okay. But he's still behind Yelich, Taylor, Mitchell, Ruiz, and. almost certainly, Frelick in the pecking order. AAA depth, which is good to have. He also has an intriguing skillset with a high OBP and a great glove/speed. 

He only has an intriguing ability to get walks in spite of not hitting well. If he were in our system, he'd be a guy no one would worry about losing.
And 40-man slots have value. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Walks a ton and plays great defense with good speed. That's valuable to have coming up from AAA if they ever did need him due to injuries/underperformance.

Also, just because they sign him to a major league contract doesn't mean he's going to be on the 40 man come opening day. 

He has to be on the 40 man now, right? If the front office doesn't have a better use for that slot now, they should.
I'd have no problem signing him to a minor league contract, but there is absolutely nothing in his track record to justify a major league contract. I'm hoping that announcement was in error.

1 minute ago, Robocaller said:

He has to be on the 40 man now, right? If the front office doesn't have a better use for that slot now, they should.
I'd have no problem signing him to a minor league contract, but there is absolutely nothing in his track record to justify a major league contract. I'm hoping that announcement was in error.

=image.png.1ebc5b61f91d452161ecf8b84691da66.png

From MLBTR. Excellent defensive outfielder with speed who gets on base consistently and made tangible improvements in the power department last season. Seems like a good depth signing to me.

The reason they gave him a major league contract was to ensure that they signed him, as there was almost certainly significant interest from other teams. But we'll see how long he lasts on the 40 man roster. There wouldn't be much of a price to pay if they did decide to jettison him at some point. 

5 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

=image.png.1ebc5b61f91d452161ecf8b84691da66.png

From MLBTR. Excellent defensive outfielder with speed who gets on base consistently and made tangible improvements in the power department last season. Seems like a good depth signing to me.

The reason they gave him a major league contract was to ensure that they signed him, as there was almost certainly significant interest from other teams. But we'll see how long he lasts on the 40 man roster. There wouldn't be much of a price to pay if they did decide to jettison him at some point. 

He. . .Can't. . .Hit.
If there was "significant" interest from other teams, it shows that other front offices are led by idiots. 
Where does he go into the organizational chart at CF? After Mitchell, Frelick, Ruiz, Taylor, Chourio. . . I think we have it covered.
Again, I have no problem with signing guys as depth pieces for the minors, but I (obviously) have a huge problem signing guys to major league contracts if their track record shows they'll never become a major league player, barring divine intervention.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

He. . .Can't. . .Hit.
If there was "significant" interest from other teams, it shows that other front offices are led by idiots. 
Where does he go into the organizational chart at CF? After Mitchell, Frelick, Ruiz, Taylor, Chourio. . . I think we have it covered.
Again, I have no problem with signing guys as depth pieces for the minors, but I (obviously) have a huge problem signing guys to major league contracts if their track record shows they'll never become a major league player, barring divine intervention.

Chourio is not even a consideration this season at the MLB level. Don't know why you're even mentioning him.

So, you're smarter in assessing Perkins' abilities than actual executives throughout baseball? Got it.

Overall, Perkins is a guy with an intriguing skillset who demonstrated significant development with the bat last season. His defense and walk-rate provide provide him with a higher floor than most AAA outfielders. I can see why the Arnold and Co. wanted him. 

You’re overreacting to the 40 man spot…….every year the Brewers and most other teams have guys on the 40 man who have certain qualities but are marginal players…….Pablo Reyes……Trevor Kelly……Corey Ray…..etc

it’s really no big deal…….he’s a guy who can move up and down in case of injuries……..if for some reason they need the roster spot they can free it up by erasing him or somebody else. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, markedman5 said:

You’re overreacting to the 40 man spot…….every year the Brewers and most other teams have guys on the 40 man who have certain qualities but are marginal players…….Pablo Reyes……Trevor Kelly……Corey Ray…..etc

it’s really no big deal…….he’s a guy who can move up and down in case of injuries……..if for some reason they need the roster spot they can free it up by erasing him or somebody else. 

This! Thank you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Chourio is not even a consideration this season at the MLB level. Don't know why you're even mentioning him.

So, you're smarter in assessing Perkins' abilities than actual executives throughout baseball? Got it.

Overall, Perkins is a guy with an intriguing skillset who demonstrated significant development with the bat last season. His defense and walk-rate provide provide him with a higher floor than most AAA outfielders. I can see why the Arnold and Co. wanted him. 

What actual evidence do you have of other executives being keen to sign him to a major league contract?
His floor is a career minor leaguer.  His ceiling is a AAAA guy who gets called up when someone is injured and they need to at least have an emergency CFer.

From MLBTR, "Rather, the Major League deal was likely reflective of considerable interest from other parties on minor league contracts."

I never asserted that other teams were keen to sign him to a major league contract...But that there was likely appreciable interest in the player's skillset and that the Brewers offered him a major league contract to ensure that they were able to sign him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robocaller said:

What actual evidence do you have of other executives being keen to sign him to a major league contract?
His floor is a career minor leaguer.  His ceiling is a AAAA guy who gets called up when someone is injured and they need to at least have an emergency CFer.

The very fact that he signed on a major league deal means there was significant interest (EDIT: And noone but you has said there was necessarily significant interest in a major league contract specifically. Just enough interest to warrant a major league deal), or they wouldn't have offered a major league deal, That's always been the case in the past when minor league FAs without MLB experience sign these deals. 

I have no idea what his chances are, since before today I had not heard of him and all I have to go on is basically his bbref/Fangraphs pages and the info in this thread. But apparently you, from looking at the very most surface levels of stats, can with confidence declare that front offices are lead by idiots and that he will never amount to anything. There is more to scouting than just looking at a triple slash line you know. He increased his power output by a lot this year, you automatically suggest it's a fluke, but teams will have both much better data, as well as having watched him so they'll have a much better idea if it looks like it's real or a fluke. Might also be worth mentioning that Perkins' 117 wRC+ is better than what Tyrone Taylor ever produced in AAA, at the same age. Just to take the first example that came to mind of someone with mediocre minor league numbers in his mid 20s who turned into a solid MLB player. 

Again, I don't know the first thing about the guy or how good he can be. I'm just saying that you have absolutely no basis for making definitive statements that he'll never be a major leaguer barring a miracle. 

A friend of our family is in the Yankees personnel department and has advanced fairly close to a voice in Cashman's ear. He said Perkins has made noticeable improvements in the patience of his approach this past season. I would offer his lefty stroke reminds me quite a bit of Garrett Mitchell.

Anyhow, I know it's not cool to not complain but I'm excited to watch his growth in Nashville (and perhaps Milwaukee) in 2023. Fun signing.

• Like 2

Those who assume that Perkins is depth behind guys like Frelick might have a big surprise coming in March.

This move scream warm body to keep the top prospects in the minors through May in order to play the Super Two game.

21 minutes ago, JosephC said:

Those who assume that Perkins is depth behind guys like Frelick might have a big surprise coming in March.

This move scream warm body to keep the top prospects in the minors through May in order to play the Super Two game.

This was my first thought. A perfect stop gap 5th OF to have in the bigs until Frelick & Wiemer are "ready"(AKA service time). Then after a few weeks and a handful of starts he'll go back to AAA

50 minutes ago, JosephC said:

Nah, probably the least likely scenario. Nothing to see here