Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? ~ 2022 ~

hawing

Verified Member
Going back to work after a 10 day break...

This really bugs me.

Agreed. This break really made me long for retirement! Too bad I'm over a decade away...

I am officially 95 school days away...

Not that I'm bragging.

;) :laughing

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Going back to work after a 10 day break...

This really bugs me.

Agreed. This break really made me long for retirement! Too bad I'm over a decade away...

I am officially 95 school days away...

Not that I'm bragging.

;) :laughing

Congrats! [sarcasm]I'm not jealous at all![/sarcasm]

:angry :tongue

Verified Member

Thanks, but it still feels like a long ways away...

I know it will go fast though, but the daily grind when you get down to that last year seems a lot harder, knowing the end is near.

Verified Member

As stated in the previous version of this thread, it bugged me when the last video store closed.

So I finally created a Netflix account, all excited to start watching movies again. Now, I find browsing by titles difficult. I was expecting hundreds if not a thousand titles of classic films going back 50 years. What I find are stuff mostly from the last ten years that I have no interest in.

Verified Member
The hard drive on my desktop is starting to get full. So I purchase a subscription for Microsoft Cloud. I figure I can upload files to the Cloud and take them off my drive, freeing up space. Finding out deleting files from OneDrive (on my machine) means the file also disappears from the Cloud. Defeats the whole purpose.

The hard drive on my desktop is starting to get full. So I purchase a subscription for Microsoft Cloud. I figure I can upload files to the Cloud and take them off my drive, freeing up space. Finding out deleting files from OneDrive (on my machine) means the file also disappears from the Cloud. Defeats the whole purpose.

Just do a selective sync (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98b8b011-8b94-419b-aa95-a14ff2415e85) and upload all the files you want on the website and not through the file explorer.

The other thing you could do is buy an external hard drive. (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-t7-1tb-external-usb-3-2-gen-2-portable-solid-state-drive-with-hardware-encryption-titan-gray/6408299.p?skuId=6408299&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=59&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9qOBhC-ARIsAG-rdn4mmg8XWqpXCFA3tmrnbTHNPjs96ro6S5zz-IOljAyY5IIalbcrFEMaAtL_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds)

I think an external is probably the easier option. The only nice thing about OneDrive is the data is basically backed up automatically. The one I listed is a good rated one and is solid state (no moving pieces) and has a theoretical long shelf life...definitely longer than a spinning disk hard drive. Solid state drives are also seemingly infinitely faster at moving data (assuming you have a port that support it's fast speed). If not now, your next computer (whenever that may happen) should.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As stated in the previous version of this thread, it bugged me when the last video store closed.

So I finally created a Netflix account, all excited to start watching movies again. Now, I find browsing by titles difficult. I was expecting hundreds if not a thousand titles of classic films going back 50 years. What I find are stuff mostly from the last ten years that I have no interest in.

When Netflix first started, my wife and I did the CD in the mail plan and watched all sorts of movies; both recent and 50 years old. It was very cool (and sometimes very weird) to watch some of the older classics. When that stopped, the streaming service still had 50-75% of what they had for DVDs.

Then it seems that they got focused on producing their own content and competing with the other providers; who in turn started pulling their content out of Netflix. I didn't care for what Netflix produced, so we left.

Amazon is probably the closest to the old video store rentals anymore.

Verified Member

YouTube has some of the older movies for free to watch with ads and some without ads. Just need to search for the movie you want and I think renting is somewhere around $4 for the older movies. You can also use redbox and you can watch movies on demand from their site or find a local kiosk but they normally only have new movies at the kiosk. There is also vudu (Walmart) where you can rent movies on demand or watch for free with ads. I think all of the older movies from these sites are about $4 to rent.

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription you can watch some movies for free if they are included with Amazon Prime there are a lot of older movies that are available there.

Verified Member

My hard drive contains the following: Microsoft Office files, pics and videos from my camera phone and digitized copies of my VHS tapes. The tapes are important to me since they contain classic Packers, Brewers, Badgers...and wedding videos. The Office files are backed up on two different flash drives, the pics and videos one each. The VHS tapes are taking up the most memory.

So, I went out and bought a 264 MB flash drive to move those files over and free up some space. The external hard drive looks like a better long-term option. I was unaware of the folder syncing option. That could be put to good use with my office files and camera files.

Verified Member

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription you can watch some movies for free if they are included with Amazon Prime there are a lot of older movies that are available there.

My wife has Amazon Prime. But we don't have wi-fi and prefer to watch on my 60" HDTV vs monitor. I would have to download to a flash drive and transfer to my TV.

I’m not really into collecting sports cards any more, but I’ve slowly been selling off my existing collection on COMC. I’d estimate that I’m close to breaking even on a cost basis of ~$1,000 (spent between 2009-2011).

Fast forward to January 1, 2022 when COMC now requires an IRS W-9 form on file for cash distributions. I’ve got ~$120 in my account that I can’t get out without filling out a form and triggering a 1099. Since I have no record of my cost basis, I’m debating whether it’s worth the tax headache for $120. It shouldn’t be taxable because I’ve put more into the hobby than I’ve gotten out, but I can’t prove it as I have no receipts from 10 years ago.

But somehow these new IRS rules on small transactions make us all safer from COVID ???

I’m not really into collecting sports cards any more, but I’ve slowly been selling off my existing collection on COMC. I’d estimate that I’m close to breaking even on a cost basis of ~$1,000 (spent between 2009-2011).

Fast forward to January 1, 2022 when COMC now requires an IRS W-9 form on file for cash distributions. I’ve got ~$120 in my account that I can’t get out without filling out a form and triggering a 1099. Since I have no record of my cost basis, I’m debating whether it’s worth the tax headache for $120. It shouldn’t be taxable because I’ve put more into the hobby than I’ve gotten out, but I can’t prove it as I have no receipts from 10 years ago.

But somehow these new IRS rules on small transactions make us all safer from COVID ???

No, they make the large tax firms (TurboTax, H&R Block), who lobby for laws like this more money because people like you and I now have to pay someone to do our much more complex taxes.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Verified Member

No, they make the large tax firms (TurboTax, H&R Block), who lobby for laws like this more money because people like you and I now have to pay someone to do our much more complex taxes.

Also to keep IRS agents employed.

Verified Member

I've pulled all my ebay stuff down.

I'm a small time seller, maybe a $500 to a grand a year in sales.

Not willing to go through the hassle at tax time.

Edited by turborickey

I am guessing it has more to do with the influx of selling stuff online for profit and evading the taxes. All the online payment platforms loved to turn a blind eye, but now they are somewhat forced to care. Becoming harder and harder for douchebag sellers to cheat the system. It was only a mater of time after they start cracking down on sales ta collection for out of state sales.

Sucks for people just trying to sell their old stuff etc...but is what it is.

Verified Member
I think the threshold for a 1099 starting this year is $600.

Is this factual?

I think that is maybe what it was in the past, but I was told it changed.