Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
10 hours ago, MoreTrife said:

2-4. And two of the losses were giving up lead late.

Padres were also 1-5 against the Cubs in the regular season before sending them home last night in a sweep.

Regular season doesn’t mean much if anything.

  • Like 1
Posted
9 minutes ago, MoreTrife said:

Looks like Murph can continue with his underdog persona:

 

Perhaps the Brewers should be considered the objective underdogs in the NLDS. Including their wild-card sweep, the Padres have gone an MLB-best 43-18 since July 24. That stretch includes a three-game sweep of the Brewers in August. Now, the Padres look even stronger than they did then. Their offense blends power and speed, experience and youth. Their bullpen is the deepest in the sport. Their rotation is relatively shallow, but it features Michael King, who is coming off seven innings of one-hit ball, and the fiercely competitive Nick Pivetta. And most importantly, a two-game sweep means every San Diego pitcher will go into the next series on at least two days’ rest. Yes, the Brewers will begin that series with home-field advantage. On paper, at least, the Padres possess a clear edge in firepower.

— Dennis Lin, Padres beat writer

He's not wrong. 

"Go ahead. Try to disagree with me. I dare you." Jeffrey Leonard.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

He's not wrong. 

Doesn't mean it can't be used as motivation...and likely will be. Right in Murph's wheelhouse. 

Posted

Got my tickets for the NLCS this morning. So expensive. I feel like it's a lot more than last year. Around $250 per for 200 level, $189 for the 400 level!

"Go ahead. Try to disagree with me. I dare you." Jeffrey Leonard.

Posted
1 minute ago, MoreTrife said:

Doesn't mean it can't be used as motivation...and likely will be. Right in Murph's wheelhouse. 

Oh, I agree. I never underestimate the elite athlete's ability to feel disrespected, lol.

  • Like 1

"Go ahead. Try to disagree with me. I dare you." Jeffrey Leonard.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Got my tickets for the NLCS this morning. So expensive. I feel like it's a lot more than last year. Around $250 per for 200 level, $189 for the 400 level!

WOW! I assume you are full or 20 season ticket holder? I was told 10 games would still get early access but I'm guessing after full and 20 game. 

 

EDIT: Just got my email!

  • Like 1
Posted
54 minutes ago, homer said:

I'm not sure post-season success has all that much to do with the manager.

<ducks head>

Mostly agree. It’s not like Counsell did something crazy like bench PCA. PCA just sucked. 

When the strength of your roster is your offense and they give you 1 run in 2 games there is not a whole lot you could have done. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

Mostly agree. It’s not like Counsell did something crazy like bench PCA. PCA just sucked. 

When the strength of your roster is your offense and they give you 1 run in 2 games there is not a whole lot you could have done. 

I agree the manager can't do much to overcome talent deficiencies in the roster, and CC didn't make any bad decisions.

But a manager/leader CAN set culture. And CC is always so tight and nervous. That rubs off on a team. Not saying it's close to 100% his fault, but you could tell one of these teams was loose and one of them was tight, and that started before the first pitch.

Posted
5 hours ago, homer said:

I'm not sure post-season success has all that much to do with the manager.

<ducks head>

I'll throw the Jesse Winker at bat your way... 😉

My point, a manager still has to establish some type of foundation.  Of course the players have to execute.  Counsell's clubhouse is much different than Murphy's clubhouse.

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, Samurai Bucky said:

My point, a manager still has to establish some type of foundation.  Of course the players have to execute.  Counsell's clubhouse is much different than Murphy's clubhouse.

I think Counsell is best when he has a Lorenzo Cain or a Willy Adames on the team.  Those players control the clubhouse while Counsell handles everything else.  The Cubs don’t have a Cain or Adames to lead the clubhouse.  

  • Like 1
Posted
32 minutes ago, nate82 said:

I think Counsell is best when he has a Lorenzo Cain or a Willy Adames on the team.  Those players control the clubhouse while Counsell handles everything else.  The Cubs don’t have a Cain or Adames to lead the clubhouse.  

Isn't that kind of Bregman? I know he is pretty well regarded as a great clubhouse guy.

Posted
5 minutes ago, wiguy94 said:

Isn't that kind of Bregman? I know he is pretty well regarded as a great clubhouse guy.

And Dansby

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave
Posted
1 hour ago, nate82 said:

I think Counsell is best when he has a Lorenzo Cain or a Willy Adames on the team.  Those players control the clubhouse while Counsell handles everything else.  The Cubs don’t have a Cain or Adames to lead the clubhouse.  

PCA doesn’t fit that mold?  

  • Like 1
Posted
10 hours ago, Underachiever said:

Got my tickets for the NLCS this morning. So expensive. I feel like it's a lot more than last year. Around $250 per for 200 level, $189 for the 400 level!

I 100% agree it's more expensive this year.  I was at games 1-2 last year and I can't remember exactly what I paid, but this year's prices are significantly higher.  

AI tells me to wait on those (and game 5 NLDS) because not all the tickets are re-sellable yet, but Lord, that NLCS is currently really pricey.

Posted
2 hours ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

DIdn't Svuem do a whole thing on the Brewers pen actually being better?

They're both great.  Which is better depends on the timeframe and which analytics a person prefers.

Posted

If you watch the first 14 seconds of that Billy Bob Thornton T-Mobile ad they keep playing, there's a screw up.  The catcher appeals the pitch, and wins, but the split screen they show of the catcher when he wins is clearly a catcher who just lost his appeal.  Weird mistake to survive editing:

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...