Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
48 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Looks like Peacock is finally gonna show the Cubs/Padres game.  Missed 5 innings.

They showed the Cubs game from the beginning. You just had to go back to the Peacock home page and select the game. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Posted
Just now, BruisedCrew said:

They showed the Cubs game from the beginning. You just had to go back to the Peacock home page and select the game. 

Ah.  I never thought of that.  Peacock comes with the cable package we have and we just activated it for these WC games.

Posted
18 minutes ago, RobertCrawley said:

Ha ha. Put a stake in their hearts. The Cubs are done this year!

Not that a playoff exit wouldn't be disappointing; it would. But for me there will always be a certain amount of satisfaction in having a better season than them since CC went down there.

I'm interested in seeing what Philly does tomorrow. You'd have to think Wheeler will see the mound, even if he doesn't start.

  • Like 2
Posted

Would the Brewers be considered the only small market team left in the playoffs? Were they actually the only small market team IN the playoffs to begin with?

Posted
7 hours ago, Pugger said:

Tonight instead of showing the Cubs/Padres game Peacock is showing the celebration in the Yankees' locker room.  I don't  get NBC Sports Network.  😡

I'm convinced the people running NBC Sports Peacock are not even sports fans and definitely not baseball fans with there type of coverage.  NBC is paying the MLB roughly $200 million per year to host the Wild Card Series and high-profile postseason games (like the Cubs-Padres and White Sox-Astros series) were kept entirely off traditional television, forcing viewers to pay for a crap ass Peacock subscription to watch. 

Posted
4 hours ago, yourout said:

Would the Brewers be considered the only small market team left in the playoffs? Were they actually the only small market team IN the playoffs to begin with?

Rays and Guardians are both small market teams.

White Sox are arguably also a small market based on their revenues despite being in Chicago.

Posted
9 hours ago, Pugger said:

Looks like Peacock is finally gonna show the Cubs/Padres game.  Missed 5 innings.

I exited out of the Yankee game and scrolled over to the Cubs/Padres game.  That was on the Peacock app, though.

Posted
3 hours ago, Brian said:

Cubs Recap: 

 

Here is his shorter video:

We joke around on how many times in his videos he uses the following words:

  • Pathetic
  • Awful
  • Freaking

LOL

  • WHOA SOLVDD 1
Posted

Baseball is certainly a hard sport to win titles in and the Cubs did get one, but the Brewers really played a major role in dismantling that "dynasty" that they were very convinced would win several.

  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Posted
3 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Baseball is certainly a hard sport to win titles in and the Cubs did get one, but the Brewers really played a major role in dismantling that "dynasty" that they were very convinced would win several.

I was convinced as well.  I thought their WS was a year early, but the first of to be multiple.  Haven't been the same since Game 163 + WC coin flip.

 

  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I was convinced as well.  I thought their WS was a year early, but the first of to be multiple.  Haven't been the same since Game 163 + WC coin flip.

 

A mirror of the Packers in 2010, a year early, looked very strong, similarly going 15-1 only to not win a playoff game and really haven't been able to finish since then.

  • Sad 1
Posted

I’m not going to write a post mortem on the cubs, Matthew Trueblood did that welll enough. 
 

However, I’ll point out that the Cubs got tons of accolades for how they rebuilt their bullpen in the off-season. They spent a lot of money bringing in veteran relievers on free agent deals. Then they to a lesser extent got a lot of accolades for how they handled the trade deadline by adding Peterson, Zeferjahn, Holmes, and Gausman. Well, none of it really worked. They’re not really developing pitchers or making the pitchers they acquire perform better. The few pitchers they have developed have either gotten injured or regressed. 
 

Now they’re faced with essentially needing to replace an entire rotation and rely on guys coming back from injury. Maybe that’s an opportunity, but it’s damn near impossible to build a pitching staff through free agency. Active roster spots are limited. You need to be able to move on from guys who are either under performing or overused. 
 

maybe we won’t win the division by double digits again next year, but currently it’s really hard to envision any of the other 4 teams being a serious threat to overtake us. 

  • Like 3
Posted
57 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Baseball is certainly a hard sport to win titles in and the Cubs did get one, but the Brewers really played a major role in dismantling that "dynasty" that they were very convinced would win several.

Their WS team rotation was ancient. Sure, they had all that young hitting talent, but that pitching staff was a ticking time bomb. In retrospect, it seems they were competitive as long as you would expect in that situation.

I don’t know how much we really played into that. Outside of going to Chicago and stealing a division title one year.

Posted
11 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

Their WS team rotation was ancient. Sure, they had all that young hitting talent, but that pitching staff was a ticking time bomb. In retrospect, it seems they were competitive as long as you would expect in that situation.

I don’t know how much we really played into that. Outside of going to Chicago and stealing a division title one year.

Their run was built on homegrown offense and supplemented with veteran pitching. The reason they couldn't continued doing that was their superstars on offense didn't superstar very long. I thought they would have been more like Houston than what they turned into. 

  • Like 2
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.
Posted

For a long time now, they've been about the splashy trade, the big FA signing. Funny thing is, when they cultivated home-grown position-player talent in the 2010s that was when they finally broke through. That area is far from barren--along with the obvious examples, I liked Hoerner from the moment I saw him, he's a winner in every aspect---but you need to be 8-10 deep in starting pitching from April through September & they seldom if ever are. Add to that in '26 the BP woes. They relied on deadline moves to shore that up (which Brewer fans can attest to is never a guaranteed fix). These are problems that a strong lineup 1-9 just isn't going to cover for.

Counting the two WC games, they finished up 13-19.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted
1 hour ago, Thurston Fluff said:

Their run was built on homegrown offense and supplemented with veteran pitching. The reason they couldn't continued doing that was their superstars on offense didn't superstar very long. I thought they would have been more like Houston than what they turned into. 

They also cut  ties with Schwarber

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Posted
3 hours ago, Samurai Bucky said:

Here is his shorter video:

We joke around on how many times in his videos he uses the following words:

  • Pathetic
  • Awful
  • Freaking

LOL

It's nice that he gave mention to a former Brewer that came up with a PH single. I've always been a fan of Tory Taylor😆.

No way am I letting my wife watch this. One look at that backsplash & I'm in big trouble.

Posted
1 hour ago, Thurston Fluff said:

Their run was built on homegrown offense and supplemented with veteran pitching. The reason they couldn't continued doing that was their superstars on offense didn't superstar very long. I thought they would have been more like Houston than what they turned into. 

I don’t disagree, but the lack of internal pitching made that an unlikely sustainable path. It gives flashbacks to the Doug Melvin Brewers. More money to their disposal, but a glaring hole on one side of the ball.

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...