Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
2 hours ago, CheezWizHed said:

Not sure what is awkward... I said Gasser in game 4.  May is pitching game 3 with potentially Patrick or Drohan to follow.  

First of all, if I'm sensing any animosity towards my post, I certainly meant none - I truly didn't understand

This is what you posted: "They will save Gasser for Game 4 (that won't be needed).  I'd guess we'd have Patrick and Gasser follow May. " I thought you meant Patrick and Gasser would go in G4, if necessary (judging by the first sentence). And that's not what you meant, I think you may have just mistakenly put Gasser in the second sentence when (judging by this most recent post) it looks like you meant to say Drohan. 

And, FTR, I have no issue with using Patrick tomorrow if the situation warrants - but there's also logic in saving him as our only RH long reliever for LHP Gasser's start.

 

Posted
2 hours ago, Samurai Bucky said:

"... but he didn't play football, so I shed that tackle."  

Classic Sal!!!!

Here is Yelich's reference in the presser...  perhaps someone else posted this?  If so, Sorry..

 

Posted
4 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

First of all, if I'm sensing any animosity towards my post, I certainly meant none - I truly didn't understand

This is what you posted: "They will save Gasser for Game 4 (that won't be needed).  I'd guess we'd have Patrick and Gasser follow May. " I thought you meant Patrick and Gasser would go in G4, if necessary (judging by the first sentence). And that's not what you meant, I think you may have just mistakenly put Gasser in the second sentence when (judging by this most recent post) it looks like you meant to say Drohan. 

And, FTR, I have no issue with using Patrick tomorrow if the situation warrants - but there's also logic in saving him as our only RH long reliever for LHP Gasser's start.

 

Doh! I read what I wrote twice and still missed Gasser there twice. Yes, the second was meant to be "Patrick and Drohan".  No animosity assumed... I was just confused... until now. 🤦‍♂️

  • Like 1

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted

May wouldn’t be my choice , and I think that if he has a poor outing that you can make a pretty good case that he shouldn’t on the NLCS roster. 

That said, the 2-0 lead lets them approach the next game without any desperation, so you can roll the dice on him. 

I hope they don’t take any game for granted though, and if they’re in a position to win they should go for it. As fun as games like last night are at home to win, I’d prefer to avoid a repeat of last year of dropping both road games and heading back to Milwaukee for one winner take all. 

Posted

I counted 17 missed ball/strike calls yesterday — 9 against us and 8 against the Padres. Bad, but not as one sided as I expected to see. 

The 3B ump on the other hand…

Posted

While I saw the sleeve up on FBs to Yelich and Frelick, I only saw one to Sanchez and Chourio... the first pitch he threw to Chourio. The rest of the FBs, he had his sleeve down. So this feels a lot like a nothing-burger.

First FB to Chourio:

image.png.3a69597d8bb5878faae6c1da3ee47fc0.png

Here is right before the game winning hit:

image.png.381ad0d28f67c909170a3d3ef448da4b.png

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted
13 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

May wouldn’t be my choice , and I think that if he has a poor outing that you can make a pretty good case that he shouldn’t on the NLCS roster. 

That said, the 2-0 lead lets them approach the next game without any desperation, so you can roll the dice on him. 

I hope they don’t take any game for granted though, and if they’re in a position to win they should go for it. As fun as games like last night are at home to win, I’d prefer to avoid a repeat of last year of dropping both road games and heading back to Milwaukee for one winner take all. 

I agree with this.  I'm not a fan of May, and personally think Gasser is better, but it is what it is.  Probably not a huge difference between going May (Game 3) and Gasser (Game 4) than vice versa.  Unless you were planning a "bullpen game" in which case I'd drop May.

Adam said it best... give May the start.  Hopefully he can pull it together.  I'd also have a VERY short leash with him... if he bombs in Game 3, I definitely don't want to see him on the NLCS roster (provided we make it).

If we can finish off the Padres without using Miz/Henderson again, that sets up a pretty nice start to the NLCS with those two dealing.  What we do for Game 3/4/5/6/7 becomes interesting.  

Sunday 10/11 (presumably Miz)
Monday 10/12 (presumably Henderson)
Wed 10/14 TBA
Thu 10/15 TBA
Fri 10/16 TBA (if necessary)
Sunday 10/18
Monday 10/19

If we're down 3-1, do you throw Miz in Game 5?  -Assuming yes.   If its 2-2 heading into Game 5, do you save Miz for Game 6, and then Henderson gets a potential Game 7 -  Assuming yes and yes

 

Posted
32 minutes ago, CheezWizHed said:

Which was really dumb because there wasn't any way we were getting Tatis at home... 

in his defense, it took a pretty good throw to get him.

Did they ever give reasoning on it? Another possibility is Machado never expected to have the ball go to 3rd. It takes a very quick thinking smart baseball move to even make that throw to 3rd base. Tatis scoring is devastating in itself, many players just chuck it toward home on a hope and prayer.

Posted
33 minutes ago, CheezWizHed said:

Which was really dumb because there wasn't any way we were getting Tatis at home... 

I don’t know if Machado slowed down or not, but I assume what she was referring to is Machado making sure that Tatis crossed the plate before he was tagged out, not that Tatis could have been thrown out. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Posted
1 hour ago, MrTPlush said:

in his defense, it took a pretty good throw to get him.

Did they ever give reasoning on it? Another possibility is Machado never expected to have the ball go to 3rd. It takes a very quick thinking smart baseball move to even make that throw to 3rd base. Tatis scoring is devastating in itself, many players just chuck it toward home on a hope and prayer.

 

1 hour ago, BruisedCrew said:

I don’t know if Machado slowed down or not, but I assume what she was referring to is Machado making sure that Tatis crossed the plate before he was tagged out, not that Tatis could have been thrown out. 

At least on TV, they insinuated that Machado went to third to draw the throw there and ensure they wouldn't get Tatis at home.  But there wasn't a prayer of getting Tatis.  He gave himself up for nothing and helped the Brewers get out of a bind. 

Machado was the second out so it didn't matter the order of the tag/crossing home plate. 

  • Like 1

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted
4 hours ago, liveforoctober said:

 

wooooowwwwwww, maybe??!?

 

I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't possibly care less about this.

  • Like 3
Posted
4 minutes ago, StearnsFTW said:

I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't possibly care less about this.

Do other teams’ victories get dissected like this, or is it mostly because this is the Brewers and so there has to be some fluke or “one weird trick” explanation for why the team has been overperforming every national media or fan’s expectations for years?

I don’t care about this either. It just seems so obviously desperate in light of roof cable-gate and projections routinely underestimating the Brewers and hardly any pregame analysts picking the Brewers to win. Pathetic.

  • Like 1

Chicago delenda est

Posted
1 minute ago, HarveysWBs said:

Do other teams’ victories get dissected like this, or is it mostly because this is the Brewers and so there has to be some fluke or “one weird trick” explanation for why the team has been overperforming every national media or fan’s expectations for years?

I don’t care about this either. It just seems so obviously desperate in light of roof cable-gate and projections routinely underestimating the Brewers and hardly any pregame analysts picking the Brewers to win. Pathetic.

Spencer Jones just hit the roof in Tampa and made an out.

 

I'm sure the outrage will be identical to Saturday night.

Verified Member
Posted

I know Machado has been a dbag in the past but he’s been extremely humble and crediting the Brewers a lot in these last two games and even praised the fans and the energy 

  • Like 1
  • Disagree 1
Posted
1 minute ago, BCF said:

I know Machado has been a dbag in the past but he’s been extremely humble and crediting the Brewers a lot in these last two games and even praised the fans and the energy 

Sometimes the sins of our youth follow us around for a long time.

  • Like 2
Posted
35 minutes ago, StearnsFTW said:

I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't possibly care less about this.

It's incredible only for the depth of what this game is. This is no different than Luke Kuechly talking about how a RB set his shoulders would tell him if it was a run or pass and no different than Kyle Harrison coming here and raising his arm angle less than 10 degrees to become dominant or whatever other millions of examples we have of the complexity of success vs failure.

If Chourio strikes out last night he 'didn't rise to the occasion'/'he choked'. He singles instead and he is a hero. History is black and white.

But how we get to those moments is far from it. It took someone seeing a tell in Miller and relaying it. It took Yelich putting together a great at bat to get on and then steal to even be in position to use the info. Then it gave an advantage to the next 4 guys to put together the at bats to win the game and possibly the series.

If the Brewers end up getting to or winning a World Series this year - we just watched the game that might have been the pivot point and someone somewhere saw a tell in the best closer in the game and in a roundabout way won us the game by doing so.

Truly not upset at anyone who says "who cares how, we won". Truly. But this is the good stuff for some of us nerds.

  • Like 3
Posted
13 minutes ago, BCF said:

I know Machado has been a dbag in the past but he’s been extremely humble and crediting the Brewers a lot in these last two games and even praised the fans and the energy 

If he has truly changed, it would be nice to see the loud booing end.  I wish he would just say that he regrets the play in 2018.  I think the people in Milwaukee would then be forgiving.

  • Disagree 1
Posted
1 hour ago, CheezWizHed said:

 

At least on TV, they insinuated that Machado went to third to draw the throw there and ensure they wouldn't get Tatis at home.  But there wasn't a prayer of getting Tatis.  He gave himself up for nothing and helped the Brewers get out of a bind. 

Machado was the second out so it didn't matter the order of the tag/crossing home plate. 

He was the third out. 

Croenenworth flew out to start the inning. 

Harris flew out with Tatis on first. 

Machado thrown out at third

  • Like 1

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Posted
1 hour ago, HarveysWBs said:

Do other teams’ victories get dissected like this, or is it mostly because this is the Brewers and so there has to be some fluke or “one weird trick” explanation for why the team has been overperforming every national media or fan’s expectations for years?

I don’t care about this either. It just seems so obviously desperate in light of roof cable-gate and projections routinely underestimating the Brewers and hardly any pregame analysts picking the Brewers to win. Pathetic.

This is very normal. Do you not remember the discourse back in 2024 about Devin Williams potentially tipping pitches and the Mets catching onto it?

Posted

Some good points re: May. I think two things:

1) A lot of this is matchups and intangibles. Start a veteran on the road in a tough environment against a team whose most dangerous hitters are also righties (with one exception). 

2) Being up 2-0 and having Gasser throw so well down the stretch gives you some flexibility. If May falters, you can go to Gasser in Game 4 and maybe feel okay while saving Miz and Hendo for Game 5. I don't know that they do that and let's hope it's moot. But you can gamble at this stage. And May is a fairly safe gamble.

I am on board with winning this in SD. We can't keep going up 2-0 at home and failing to close on the road.

  • Like 3
Posted

God forbid the Brewers were able to beat the mighty Mason Miller with good at-bats. He had to be tipping his pitches. No other way.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, MadTownBrewCrew said:

If he has truly changed, it would be nice to see the loud booing end.  I wish he would just say that he regrets the play in 2018.  I think the people in Milwaukee would then be forgiving.

I honestly really couldn’t care less about Machado one way or another. He doesn’t bother me. 

It was 8 years ago, Aguilar has been out of the league for 3 years and not a Brewer for 7. I think it’s a little weird to have such a long memory about things.

People can boo if they want, whatever, I think there’s a piece of that that just comes with being a longtime star player on the road. Yelich gets soundly booed in some stadiums for no real reason at all. 

 

  • Like 2
Posted
2 hours ago, CheezWizHed said:

 

At least on TV, they insinuated that Machado went to third to draw the throw there and ensure they wouldn't get Tatis at home.  But there wasn't a prayer of getting Tatis.  He gave himself up for nothing and helped the Brewers get out of a bind. 

Machado was the second out so it didn't matter the order of the tag/crossing home plate. 

He also isnt exactly known for a  Pete Rose level of hustle normally.   It's not like it would be totally out of character to get lackadaisical and get himself thrown out without the stategy of the greater good attached to it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...