Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted

Going to be a left handed heavy pitching approach against the Dodgers' lefty sluggers. As such, I don't see removing any of the Harrisons or Drohans of the world from the roster.

May's spot might be more tenuous, but we can always use length and the Dodgers have enough righties in their lineup to concern you. 

Only change I would consider is adding Naylor and subtracting a pitcher if you want to deploy Sanchez more against Skubal, Snell, Scott, etc. But I also thought they would do that in the NLDS and they didn't. 

I wonder if anyone is a surprise omission it won't be Chad Patrick. There were situations in this series where Murph refused to go to him where he likely would have done so earlier in the season. 

  • Like 3
Posted
52 minutes ago, BruisedCrew said:

I would stay with 13 pitchers if only because of the possibility of a long extra inning game. 

Or just chewing innings when we've got a huge lead.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

Posted in the open thread, but I think Lockridge is the most likely add. Dodgers are more left-handed than the Padres, so I could seem him swapping in for Harrison, or even Hamilton.

I just don’t see it, I think they roll with 13 pitchers again. You’re going to want Harrison available for those lefty Dodger bats, And they value Hamilton too much for his bunting/baserunning. 

It’s just hard to envision a situation where they’d want to pinch hit Lockridge for any other bat in the lineup, even against a lefty. Maybe Frelick, but he’s been swinging a pretty good bat so I doubt it, 

  • Like 1
Posted
19 minutes ago, adambr2 said:

I just don’t see it, I think they roll with 13 pitchers again. You’re going to want Harrison available for those lefty Dodger bats, And they value Hamilton too much for his bunting/baserunning. 

It’s just hard to envision a situation where they’d want to pinch hit Lockridge for any other bat in the lineup, even against a lefty. Maybe Frelick, but he’s been swinging a pretty good bat so I doubt it, 

Yeah, I think it's unlikely.

Just raising Lockridge as most likely IF there are changes.

  • Like 1
Posted
43 minutes ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

Posted in the open thread, but I think Lockridge is the most likely add. Dodgers are more left-handed than the Padres, so I could seem him swapping in for Harrison, or even Hamilton.

No way on Hamilton - we have no other infielders on the bench (unless you count Vaughn at 3B). Lockridge doesn't really have a role that they don't have covered. Much rather have the 13th pitcher, The guy I haven't seen mentioned is Stallings - I don't think they'd actually put him on the roster, but he was as effective as any of our other B-list bullpen guys.

I also think it's overblown wanting a 3rd catcher so that Sanchez can be in the lineup. Yelich is DH'ing and that's that.

  • Like 3
Posted
14 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

No way on Hamilton - we have no other infielders on the bench (unless you count Vaughn at 3B). Lockridge doesn't really have a role that they don't have covered. Much rather have the 13th pitcher, The guy I haven't seen mentioned is Stallings - I don't think they'd actually put him on the roster, but he was as effective as any of our other B-list bullpen guys.

I also think it's overblown wanting a 3rd catcher so that Sanchez can be in the lineup. Yelich is DH'ing and that's that.

Seems right to me. 

Mostly just laying out the decisions the Brewers have. I think "extra right-handed bat, good defensive OF, and pinch-runner" might be more valuable that "lefty bulk guy who we hope to never use"). 

I think Hamilton and May are almost certainties in terms of making the roster, but I'd put them together with Drohan as guys who aren't as assured of a spot as others (meaning they're like 90% probabilities instead of 99).

IF there is a change, I'd prefer Lockridge to Naylor. And I think some might undervalue his skillset, which is versatile and valuable in terms of the matchup the Dodgers present.

Posted
50 minutes ago, formerlybis said:

No way on Hamilton - we have no other infielders on the bench (unless you count Vaughn at 3B). Lockridge doesn't really have a role that they don't have covered. Much rather have the 13th pitcher, The guy I haven't seen mentioned is Stallings - I don't think they'd actually put him on the roster, but he was as effective as any of our other B-list bullpen guys.

I also think it's overblown wanting a 3rd catcher so that Sanchez can be in the lineup. Yelich is DH'ing and that's that.

I don’t really understand the 3rd catcher stuff either. Why does starting Contreras preclude Sanchez from starting? If one gets hurt, whoever is not catching is just going to move to catcher. 

If both get hurt or one gets hurts after the other is removed from the game, you’re obviously in a big pickle but you can’t have a contingency for every possible apocalyptic scenario, such as running out of pitchers because a game went 18 innings and you kept Naylor instead of a 13th pitcher. 

Doesn’t seem like they are going to sit Yelich anyway even against lefties since Vaughn is no doubt ahead of Sanchez in the RHB pecking order and still rode the bench against Robbie Ray.

  • Like 1
Posted

I wouldn’t assume that they are going to play Yelich against all lefties just because he played against Robbie Ray. With Ray, you had to expect that he wasn’t going to go more than three or four innings, but against Skubal, and maybe Snell, who would be expected to go a little longer, they might choose to start a right handed hitter and keep Yelich on the bench for later.

  • Like 1
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Posted

I agree, really don't think Murphy is so stubborn that he doesn't see the difference between Skubal and Ray. Even though it is game 1 it makes total sense to put in Vaughn in place of Yelich. This is for the World Series, he wouldn't be hurting the Captain's feelings.

  • Like 2
Posted

Going with 13 pitchers vs SD wasn't necessary, as it turned out. But if they did that in a potential 5-gamer, there's no way they're cutting back in a potential 7-game series. Let's not forget, an extra-inning game has no ghost runners; that sucker could go on for 5 or 6 more frames. And I see no one-for-one moves re position players that would make them better. So I suspect the same 26, with the only caveat being if they like Anderson better than Patrick (I doubt it) or decide not to start May & go BP game or roll the dice with Drohan or Harrison; then maybe Anderson for May.

I don't see them trusting Woodruff at this point but wow, would that make for a great story.

 

Posted
6 hours ago, Outlander said:

I agree, really don't think Murphy is so stubborn that he doesn't see the difference between Skubal and Ray. Even though it is game 1 it makes total sense to put in Vaughn in place of Yelich. This is for the World Series, he wouldn't be hurting the Captain's feelings.

I think they’d put Bauers in RF, Vaughn at 1B, and Yelich DHing against Skubal, especially with Miz pitching. It’s more a question between Yelich and Sanchez at DH.

  • Like 1
Posted
6 hours ago, Outlander said:

I agree, really don't think Murphy is so stubborn that he doesn't see the difference between Skubal and Ray. Even though it is game 1 it makes total sense to put in Vaughn in place of Yelich. This is for the World Series, he wouldn't be hurting the Captain's feelings.

I hope you are right, but I have seen no reason to think that Yelich will see any bench time from here on out.

Pancakes is all in on him, and that won't change in the playoffs.......imo.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS
Community Moderator
Posted
33 minutes ago, TURBO said:

I hope you are right, but I have seen no reason to think that Yelich will see any bench time from here on out.

Pancakes is all in on him, and that won't change in the playoffs.......imo.

Career vs. Skubal:

Yelich: 0 for 2
Vaughn: 5 for 22
Bauers: 3 for 3

Between that and Yelich OPSing .899 in the division series, I think I would stick with what we've already been doing. 

Posted
54 minutes ago, TURBO said:

I hope you are right, but I have seen no reason to think that Yelich will see any bench time from here on out.

Pancakes is all in on him, and that won't change in the playoffs.......imo.

You may be right, but I think it's a little too early to assume that. I think he'll be in there vs RH starters & with the ABs he turned in vs SD he should be. So far they've faced one LH starter in the playoffs, and while it was a small sample I believe he was 4-8 vs Ray as a Brewer.

Yelich has very little history vs Skubal & is 2-6 vs Snell. I wouldn't predict it, but I feel Vaughn's best chance to start over the first 4 games of the series is Sunday, whether it's at DH or 1B. And if he doesn't, I'm pretty sure the reasons why won't have anything to do with Yelichs' feelings.

Posted

They're not changing a thing, same roster, same end result, see you Sunday babyttt

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

 

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Posted
20 hours ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

I think Hamilton and May are almost certainties in terms of making the roster, but I'd put them together with Drohan as guys who aren't as assured of a spot as others (meaning they're like 90% probabilities instead of 99).

Hamilton has a 10000% chance of making the roster. Only backup IF and best pinch runner. The only thing keeping him off the roster is if he gets hit by a bus. Same with Drohan. 

  • Like 1
Posted

What are the chances of getting into a prolonged extra-inning game? I think the odds are actually quite high, thus highlighting the need to have a couple of starters like May ready to pitch the ninth, tenth, 14th inning.

The absence of the Manfred Man could lead to some long games with the run-starved playoff environment.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...