Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
2 hours ago, long ball said:

However, I’ll point out that the Cubs got tons of accolades for how they rebuilt their bullpen in the off-season. They spent a lot of money bringing in veteran relievers on free agent deals. Then they to a lesser extent got a lot of accolades for how they handled the trade deadline by adding Peterson, Zeferjahn, Holmes, and Gausman. Well, none of it really worked.

You don’t understand. The Cubs keep winning the off-season and the trade deadlines. If we don’t attempt to move the needle, it’s going to be very difficult to win our fifth consecutive division title.

  • Like 4
  • WHOA SOLVDD 3
  • Love 2
Posted
3 hours ago, long ball said:


 

maybe we won’t win the division by double digits again next year, but currently it’s really hard to envision any of the other 4 teams being a serious threat to overtake us. 

I wouldn't predict them winning the division, but if Pittsburgh could figure out a way to stop giving opponents extra outs I could see them making a leap forward.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted

Screenshot_20261001-130723.png

  • Like 1
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Posted
3 hours ago, long ball said:

maybe we won’t win the division by double digits again next year, but currently it’s really hard to envision any of the other 4 teams being a serious threat to overtake us. 

Just wait until Fangraphs has the Cubs winning 92 games to take the division next year. Of course, the Brewers will be a close 2nd with 82 wins. (not blue ... because this is very likely IMO)

  • Like 3
Community Moderator
Posted
3 hours ago, long ball said:

However, I’ll point out that the Cubs got tons of accolades for how they rebuilt their bullpen in the off-season. They spent a lot of money bringing in veteran relievers on free agent deals. Then they to a lesser extent got a lot of accolades for how they handled the trade deadline by adding Peterson, Zeferjahn, Holmes, and Gausman. Well, none of it really worked. They’re not really developing pitchers or making the pitchers they acquire perform better. The few pitchers they have developed have either gotten injured or regressed. 
 

Now they’re faced with essentially needing to replace an entire rotation and rely on guys coming back from injury. Maybe that’s an opportunity, but it’s damn near impossible to build a pitching staff through free agency. Active roster spots are limited. You need to be able to move on from guys who are either under performing or overused.

They did a decent job of pushing all their chips on the table for `26 but they lack organizational depth and had to play whack-a-mole to plug injuries. The Padres actually follow a similar script but do it better. 

Other than Skubal, the rest of the starting pitcher options at the deadline were all middle-to-bottom of the rotation guys. Depth additions, not guys that you would trust to start an elimination game. Zeferjahn was a nice add that will help them out in the future but not someone who is going to flip a series. 

I don't see the Cubs being a serious contender in '27. They will probably spend some money, I could even see them signing Skubal, but they have too many holes to fill and not many home grown options to fill them with. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Yea Cubs are in a tough spot next year. Both OF corners are FA.  C is FA.  Will need basically a whole new rotation and bullpen. Good luck.   Sure, they have money but they've also rarely ever used the full potential of their spending there, so I don't see them all of a sudden doubling payroll to fix all these holes. 

And to the corner OFs. This is why often going for that NEEDLE MOVER!! comes back to bite you.  they'd likely have both corner OF spots covered for league min by the guys traded to Hou and MIA. Not to say that either would be stars, who knows as they're young, but you'd have at least competent starters for league min for 7 years freeing up money for other stuff.     And it turns out those two big needle movers that their good owner who wants to win (ours doesn't) actually didn't move the needle at all. 

Posted

2028 is Counsell’s final year on his current contract.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he is let go after the 2027 season if the Cubs don’t make it past the wild card round.

 

Posted
1 hour ago, nate82 said:

2028 is Counsell’s final year on his current contract.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he is let go after the 2027 season if the Cubs don’t make it past the wild card round.

 

My prediction when he went there is that he would not make it through the whole contract. I don't recall exactly what I looked up at the time, but no Cubs manager had made it more than 5 years since like the 70s or something similarly rare. 

I grant I've been generally wrong in that it has gone better than I expected, with them winning a lot and being good teams even though we've beaten them.    But as you said, next year looks like  a very good chance for a somewhat big dip, likely into the 80s for wins and possibly not making the playoffs in a loaded NL.  If that were to happen, yea that might be it for him and I still end up correct 

Community Moderator
Posted
25 minutes ago, tmwiese55 said:

My prediction when he went there is that he would not make it through the whole contract. I don't recall exactly what I looked up at the time, but no Cubs manager had made it more than 5 years since like the 70s or something similarly rare. 

I grant I've been generally wrong in that it has gone better than I expected, with them winning a lot and being good teams even though we've beaten them.    But as you said, next eyar looks like  a very good chance for a somewhat big dip, likely into the 80s for wins and possibly not making the playoffs in loaded NL.  If that were to happen, yea that might be it for him and I still end up correct 

He would probably be happy with getting fired to avoid riding out some lame duck years with the Cubs. I think he's actually done a decent job but the original justification to not overpay for a manager has proven correct. 

I'd like to see a reconciliation with the Brewers after this is all said and done, but CC would have to take a bite of humble pie and I'm not sure he's capable of that. From our perspective I think the fans would accept him coming back with his tail between his legs after we kicked his ass for a few years. The only thing that would sweeten it more is if everyone in our org is wearing a ring when it happens. 

And just to be clear, I don't mean hiring him, I just mean having him show his face at AmFam in Brewers gear. 

Most likely he'll go get another managerial job since he's a competitor and available managers with his W-L record are few and far between. 

  • Like 2
  • Disagree 1
Posted
26 minutes ago, tmwiese55 said:

 

And to the corner OFs. This is why often going for that NEEDLE MOVER!! comes back to bite you.  they'd likely have both corner OF spots covered for league min by the guys traded to Hou and MIA. Not to say that either would be stars, who knows as they're young, but you'd have at least competent starters for league min for 7 years freeing up money for other stuff.    

SHHHHHH!! Don't give them any ideas. Let them keep operating the way they always do.

  • Like 1
Posted
5 minutes ago, owbc said:

He would probably be happy with getting fired to avoid riding out some lame duck years with the Cubs. I think he's actually done a decent job but the original justification to not overpay for a manager has proven correct. 

I'd like to see a reconciliation with the Brewers after this is all said and done, but CC would have to take a bite of humble pie and I'm not sure he's capable of that. From our perspective I think the fans would accept him coming back with his tail between his legs after we kicked his ass for a few years. The only thing that would sweeten it more is if everyone in our org is wearing a ring when it happens. 

Most likely he'll go get another managerial job since he's a competitor and available managers with his W-L record are few and far between. 

I agree with the bookend paragraphs.

  • WHOA SOLVDD 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Frisbee Slider said:

You don’t understand. The Cubs keep winning the off-season and the trade deadlines. If we don’t attempt to move the needle, it’s going to be very difficult to win our fifth consecutive division title.

Must be a Chicago thing. How many offseasons have the Bears won? And then done nothing in the regular season?

Verified Member
Posted

Pat Murphy the Nostradamus of baseball. 

Following the opening series of the 2026 season against the White Sox, Pat Murphy praised the energy and talent of the White Sox, stating:  “Mark my words…that Chicago White Sox team will be somebody to be reckoned with in that division.” They clinched a playoff spot, and play the Guardians Saturday Oct. 3rd. 

  • Like 1
Posted

At least there is one game three tonight. With baseball, after the Brewers I just look for the entertainment aspect and the more games tonight the better it would have been but alas we only get one. I think Phillies/Dodgers is better tv so hoping for a Phillies win.

  • Like 1
Community Moderator
Posted
31 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I've been steadily claiming this is our year. I accept that we could be eliminated by Tuesday and that is realistic, but something just feels different. I feel like LA is vulnerable.

I thought 2019 was our year and I still think it would have been if we could have gotten past the wildcard game. 

I feel the same about this year. If we can get past the Padres it's going to happen. 

  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, Outlander said:

At least there is one game three tonight. With baseball, after the Brewers I just look for the entertainment aspect and the more games tonight the better it would have been but alas we only get one. I think Phillies/Dodgers is better tv so hoping for a Phillies win.

My gut feeling is if Philly can get quality out of Wheeler for 3-4 innings following Nola, they have a real good chance.

Posted
37 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I've been steadily claiming this is our year. I accept that we could be eliminated by Tuesday and that is realistic, but something just feels different. I feel like LA is vulnerable.

Compared to the last two seasons I think they are, too. But I feel that after this year is when LA really starts to show some major cracks. I can't help but think they have one more in them, esp with the SP they have available. Hope I'm wrong.

OTOH, it kinda felt like some demons were expelled when they won 3/4 in LA, especially the comeback in game one. So maybe........

Verified Member
Posted
26 minutes ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

Braves have a few "not a star or household name, but very scary" players. Harris is one. Big homer for him. 

Have a feeling it's going to take more than 3, though.

Their rippen' Nola, everything is hard hit by Braves.  Braves look better on "D" also. 

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...