Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted

I saw the comment in the IGT from yesterday about Yount being on the Brewers' Mount Rushmore. So, I thought that could be a fun thought experiment. Who ya got?

 

Yount and Molly are obvious. To me, Braun is third. And then comes the fun. My gut wants to say Prince, but my heart right now is leaning Jackson. Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

Posted
18 minutes ago, craigharmann said:

I saw the comment in the IGT from yesterday about Yount being on the Brewers' Mount Rushmore. So, I thought that could be a fun thought experiment. Who ya got?

 

Yount and Molly are obvious. To me, Braun is third. And then comes the fun. My gut wants to say Prince, but my heart right now is leaning Jackson. Thoughts?

I think a Mount Rushmore is so permanent that you need to wait until the end of a career before etching it in stone. Chourio is already an all time Brewers legend, though.

Braun is ahead of Fielder. Prince was a fun slugger for 6+ seasons but not extraordinarily valuable beyond that. 

For pitchers, Teddy Higuera and Ben Sheets warrant consideration but neither are close to Yount, Molitor or Braun.

After Chourio’s retirement, he would almost certainly get the final Mount Rushmore spot.
 

Miz might not have enough seasons in Milwaukee but has had an all time excellent season on the mound.

  • Like 1
Posted
28 minutes ago, Frisbee Slider said:

I think a Mount Rushmore is so permanent that you need to wait until the end of a career before etching it in stone. Chourio is already an all time Brewers legend, though.

Braun is ahead of Fielder. Prince was a fun slugger for 6+ seasons but not extraordinarily valuable beyond that. 

For pitchers, Teddy Higuera and Ben Sheets warrant consideration but neither are close to Yount, Molitor or Braun.

After Chourio’s retirement, he would almost certainly get the final Mount Rushmore spot.
 

Miz might not have enough seasons in Milwaukee but has had an all time excellent season on the mound.

Great point on waiting until the career is done. With Higuera and Sheeter, I’d say they’ve been the best pitchers, but longevity is a detriment to them. 

Posted

Yelich won an MVP as a Brewer and nearly won two. I know the recency bias has soured some on his body of work, but he's as Mr. Brewer as it gets post-2000.

Molitor, Yount, Yelich, Braun is right on the line, I don't know that you want the scandal stuff on your Mount Rushmore. Uecker and Henry Aaron before him if it's not players only; I know Aaron is a 'Brave' predominantly but he's iconic to Milwaukee and I'd find a way to get him on. 

No one on the current team (besides aforementioned Yelich) has the longevity. Chourio and Miz may end up playing more than half their career some place else.

  • Like 1
Posted

Yount, Molitor, and Braun.

 

No one else is worthy. Yelich is great, but barely has more WAR than Jeff Cirillo (and Yeli has more PAs). Not to say Cirillo is as good, but it shows how no one else stands out past Braun. 

It will eventually be Chourio though. Already 10+ WAR and iconic moments.

  • Like 1
Posted
27 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

Yount, Molitor, and Braun.

 

No one else is worthy. Yelich is great, but barely has more WAR than Jeff Cirillo (and Yeli has more PAs). Not to say Cirillo is as good, but it shows how no one else stands out past Braun. 

It will eventually be Chourio though. Already 10+ WAR and iconic moments.

And ultimately, I think that makes the most sense. We've so many sort of stars that probably wouldn't be stars on other teams, or had careers cut short by injury or just fell off. 

Posted

I don't think WAR is a great barometer for something like that. It's much more than that. Yelich is the face and leader of the team through a period of unparalleled consistent success, steward in the community etc., an MVP winner. The Brewers have never been as good as often as they are and he is a huge reason for it even if his numbers never lived up to the deal he signed. I'd be first to say Braun was a superior clutch player but the whole drug scandal thing is just not Mount Rushmore fodder. To me, Yelich is clearly the third player if this monument is restricted to players. If not, Mark Attanasio and Uecker are in the conversation.

Community Moderator
Posted

I think you need to put Rollie Fingers on there...just to have that 'stache in stone! 

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted
31 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I don't think WAR is a great barometer for something like that. It's much more than that. Yelich is the face and leader of the team through a period of unparalleled consistent success, steward in the community etc., an MVP winner. The Brewers have never been as good as often as they are and he is a huge reason for it even if his numbers never lived up to the deal he signed. I'd be first to say Braun was a superior clutch player but the whole drug scandal thing is just not Mount Rushmore fodder. To me, Yelich is clearly the third player if this monument is restricted to players. If not, Mark Attanasio and Uecker are in the conversation.

Certainly, I can’t argue if someone wants to include Yelich. Trying to make a Mount Rushmore of Brewers is a bit mess from the jump just because of the small market nature.

It would help if it was opened up to include non players.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...