Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic
Posted
21 minutes ago, Day said:

What a brilliant moment. Churio is a star in the making. I could watch this moment forever 

He’s already a star.

  • Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Posted

Chourio is so damn clutch. With apologies to Wild Bill because he hit a bomb last night but it would be nice to have some other guys join the clutch club and not rely solely on Jack Jack for everything. That said, what a moment. Chourio has officially arrived. He already has but he cemented it.

  • Like 2
Posted
16 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Don’t ever forget that Jackson freaking Chourio was compared to Tyrone Taylor on this very space only a couple months ago….

That’s SENOR October to you! Now and forever!

Insanity. Just another run of the mill 3rd outfielder I was told. JC is close to Tyrone Taylor however I would still give Taylor the nod.

Posted

Two extraordinary games and wins. Hard to top it from a pure entertainment perspective.

I hesitate to say it because I’ve never said it before, but I think they’re winning it all. 

Verified Member
Posted
1 minute ago, SeaBass said:

Chourio is so damn clutch. With apologies to Wild Bill because he hit a bomb last night but it would be nice to have some other guys join the clutch club and not rely solely on Jack Jack for everything. That said, what a moment. Chourio has officially arrived. He already has but he cemented it.

Perhaps now with a big lead in this series guys like Turang will relax and not play so tight.

  • Like 1
Posted

This ain’t hockey, but I got 3 stars of the game today. 

1. Chourio. Duh. Doing it all with the bat and the glove. Senor October.

2. Ashby. His innings after Uribe allowed them to complete the comeback. Got put into a tough situation by his defense and came through. He’s been as good as he ever has two appearances in.

3. Yelich. Best ABs on the team today. Nearly tied it himself. Settled for the key BB against Miller to kick off the comeback. Prediction: He finally gets an RBI in San Diego. 
 

How can you not be romantic about baseball and the Milwaukee Brewers!

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Posted
1 hour ago, BCF said:

Win and made Miller throw almost 40 pitches 

That’s why managers typically don’t go more than a inning with their closers 

Yep. But in this case I don't blame Stammen. I would've made the same move.

A hidden key to this might've been Morejon throwing (IIRC) 31 pitches yesterday.

  • Like 2
Posted

Those 9th inning walks. Especially Sanchez not being desperate or trying to be the hero, were so impressive and selfless 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Verified Member
Posted

That 1-2 slider that JC laid off was insane after fouling off 104 mph before that 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Verified Member
Posted
8 minutes ago, baseball101 said:

He’s already a star.

Sorry I mean he’s gonna transcend baseball eventually. I think he’ll be that big 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Devinep said:

Those 9th inning walks. Especially Sanchez not being desperate or trying to be the hero, were so impressive and selfless 

I was convinved Sanchez was going to get blown away in that at bat.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave
Posted
1 minute ago, liveforoctober said:

They can have PCA :) I want our guy...

You mean the one that actually produces in the playoffs

  • Love 1
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave
Posted
32 minutes ago, liveforoctober said:

I watched the final at bat about 25 times already. Watching the different guys is always awesome. Contreras on the ground on the Frelick slide is classic.

I want a super cut of all different angles available. 

Verified Member
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Yep. But in this case I don't blame Stammen. I would've made the same move.

A hidden key to this might've been Morejon throwing (IIRC) 31 pitches yesterday.

Yeah Padres fans are after him but he doesn’t seem like a bad manager at all 

Verified Member
Posted

Have to agree Yeli and Sal getting us back into the game is nearly as big as finishing it off for Jackson.

Verified Member
Posted

I saw a comment on Reddit that I haven't verified but it was "the Brewers saw 28 pitches from Miller in the 9th and didn't swing at a single pitch outside of the zone." 

That is really something, if true. Miller is the best reliever in baseball. 

Posted

So many great thoughts in this thread. I echo the emotion. Getting choked up watching that final play. I thought Sal was close to getting thrown out despite being positive it was over the second it got into the outfield. Very Morgan-esque. Speaking of, a series of thoughts:

1) I think that Chourio single is easily a top 3 hit in franchise history. I wasn't around in '82, but Cooper's single, Morgan's winner, and what we saw tonight. I guess you could make the argument for Moose in Game 1 (but, really, that game just felt like one we should have had, and there was such a high from beating the Cubs that it didn't feel quite so high stakes) or Braun's homer in 2008 (a strong contender, but regular season). If folks can think of others (Prince hit a massive homer against the DBacks), I'm up for it. 

2) Like others have said, I had some thoughts ready about pinch-hitting decisions when Matsui came in for Mitchell, Yelich, Frelick. I still think THAT'S probably the spot for Vaughn and/or Sanchez, but maybe Murph was onto something making Miller go through that pocket. If he's going to get six outs, there's value in keeping the platoon advantage for three of them, though that couldn't have been predicted at the time. Call it good luck. It ended up being okay.

3) On the pitching side, I thought Uribe was going to get just one out. Surprised that him, Ashby, and Megill were all used. But they put up zeroes. I'll hope the off day resets things somewhat, but I think we're going to have see Drohan and/or Patrick get multiple outs in SD. It would sure help if Mr. May becomes Dr. October.

4) Like @Jim French Stepstool said, I don't begrudge Stammen for trying to get 6 outs from Miller. But that's exhibit A for why it's a tough call. Miller just doesn't do that. No elite closer does. It's a lot to ask to of a guy in that kind of pressurized environment. But none of it matters if those guys don't put up great ABs. And, yeah, I think Morejon's night last night REALLY mattered. You don't go straight to Miller if he doesn't throw so much yesterday. Carryover damage from the Brewers.

5) Yelich really did "earn the C" as someone noted earlier. That was a great performance. And Frelick was awesome too. Even his groundout took a great play from France. If our lefty bats produce, we win. It really is that simple most of the time. And I thought the lefties were good enough tonight, with even Hamilton putting up decent ABs. He just missed a homer in his first one. 

6) Sloppy, sloppy defense, and genuinely a sloppy game all around. The Padres have to be kicking themselves for all the runners they've left on. You almost wonder if trying to be patient (something they've been AWESOME at this series) has taken away from some of their aggressiveness and run production. I wonder how their swings will look once they get back home. That team was hacking early and often against the Cubs, so it really is a totally different approach we've seen these last two games. That said, they've clearly had the better ABs all series. It hasn't resulted in better contact quality, but we'll need to get back to doing Brewers things early with Pivetta on the mound in Game 3. If we can force that bullpen (which we've seen a lot--an underrated aspect of only 11 pitchers isn't just fatigue; it's that we get a lot of looks at these guys in a condensed timeframe) to cover 5, you'll feel pretty good, especially with Walker Buehler probably throwing Game 4 on a very, very short leash.

7) It might not be appreciated, but a moment of genuine empathy for Padres fans. We've been in this position before, or at least something like it, in 2019 and 2021. That's a franchise with a similar playoff history (two WS appearances, but blown out both times and whole lot of "bites at the apple" that don't end well. They must have felt a lot of momentum, and it just stings to lose like that. Like I said, I don't think this was a particularly well-played game, but still. These have been two absolute nail-wrecking classics, and the part of me not celebrating (an admittedly small part) is feeling for everyone who cares about that team as much as I care about this one. This series isn't over, but those are two tough losses. I desperately hope we hang one more on them. But since San Diego always stays classy, it's worth trying to return the favor.

8) If my count is correct, we've lost 11 playoff road games in a row, with the last win being Game 3 in LA in 2018. It's about time we turned that around. Let's only come back to MKE for the NLCS.

9) Mitchell is just really reluctant to challenge. Some not close 3-0 pitches that he just let get called strikes. I get that's a tough call, but missing TWICE is tough. At least it didn't hurt the second time. He singled. Maybe that feeds into a broader point about the umpiring. Again, I thought San Diego got the better of it, especially on check swings (I'd love to get a better replay of the Bauers one--they didn't really show it on broadcast). Small margins, we won anyway, hurray.

10) Speaking of, whichever TV director was giving us side angles and ump cams during Turang's AB after Chourio got hit needs to chill. Just let us watch the game, bro! We don't need to see Machado creeping in or Chourio leading. I'm all for experimenting, but geez. Let's call it after the fifth or so, okay?

11) Finally, Turang needs a redemption tour. He's 9-for-49 in his playoff career, though half of those have been extra base hits. OPS is .572. Simply have to get that guy going, especially if he's defending the way he was tonight. 

Hoping for a comfortable win on Tuesday. Go Crew!

  • Like 1
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted

 

 

  • Love 3
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...