Brewer Fanatic

Brewers (Peralta) vs Cardinals (Wainwright): 9/18/23, 6:45pm

16 minutes ago, Frisbee Slider said:

I assume we will go with opener/Rea and Houser for games two and three?

Rea was optioned to Nashville so unless they can cook up a fake injury I don’t think he can be back for this series. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

When Wainright was getting batted around this season, I had a feeling he would be going for number 200 against the Brewers in this series. What could be more appropriate than going against a team that has been one of his favorite victims over the years (21-14 with an ERA of 2.74). 

Peralta is going to have his work cut out for him tonight. The Cardinals offense (which has been pretty good recently) is going to be focused on scoring enough runs to get Wainwright the win, even if he doesn’t baffle the Brewers for the needed 5 innings. 

Even though he’s had a couple of decent outings recently, anything less than 3 or 4 runs off of Wainwright and his ERA near 8 has to be considered a failure. 

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Would be interesting to know what percentage of the Brewer runs over the last month that have somehow had a walk or error involved.

If I was an opponent I would preach to my pitchers about not walking our guys because I don't think we're going to hurt them too much without free bases via walk or error.

• Love 1

It will be interesting to see what the Brewers have planned for their SP in this series and the remainder of the season. Will they stick with the current 6 man rotation this week but then use the off day next Monday to skip the 6th man?

Or will they start pitching the starters on 4 days rest like many other teams do routinely?

Sticking with the 6 day rotation would produce the following starters:

@SL- Peralta, TBD, Houser, Miley

@Mia- Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta

SL- Houser, Miley, Burnes

Cubs- Woodruff, Peralta, Houser (or TBD or bullpen)

The thing I like about this approach is that it keeps the starters on 5 days rest, and would set up Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta to be the starters in the playoff games on 4 days rest. If the Brewers could clinch the division quickly enough, those last starts could be shortened to keep the pitchers in rhythm without overtaxing them.

The only downsides to this would be (1) using a 6th starter for one of the games in this Cardinal series, and (2) having Houser or Miley or a combination of the 2 in the final game of the season if it becomes a winner take all battle for the division.

With the lead the Brewers currently have, if the division race comes down to the last day the Brewers would be on the verge of a monumental (though not historically unprecedented) collapse. It doesn't make sense to me to tinker with things now to prepare for that possibility. If the Brewers do have the division clinched before the last game I would expect that game to be used to give several pitchers who might need it an inning or two of work.

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

The Cards are not the same Cards as when Molina and Pujols was with them. They were old school hall of famers.

This is not that team. 

True enough, but they have been playing pretty well recently, including winning series against some playoff contenders (Braves, Reds, Orioles). they seem to be enjoying their spoiler role, and they have some hitters who can spoil things.

34 minutes ago, brewmann04 said:

Very concerned about playing the Cards they have owned us and you can bet man to man that they would not like anything more than sweep us 

Since 2017 when the Brewers came out of their rebuild, they are 56-55 vs the Cardinals. They have totally owned us recently!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frisbee Slider said:

Brewers are 20-24 against Cardinals since 2021. There was also the time in May when they beat Milwaukee 18-1.

https://stathead.com/tiny/2CtVn

18-1 games don't really bother me when the Brewers lose or impress me when they win. They have the same impact as a loss of about 8-1 where the team just loses and sends a few pitchers (or maybe a position player) out there to absorb the beating.

Games like yesterday or last Sunday bug me more.

• Like 2

Too bad the crew couldn’t get another run yesterday-clinching at the cardinals would feel good

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

9 minutes ago, Jake McKibbin said:

It's genuinely baffling how that Cards lineup has scored just twenty odd runs more than the Brewers this season 

Yeah, pretty nuts with their 106 wRC+ compared to a 90 wRC+ for the Brewers batters.

Looks like the Cardinals have had some bad luck with sequencing scoring 4.54 runs per game so far this year compared to BaseRuns thinking they "should have" scored 4.83 runs per game to this point.

Brewers have been on the other side of the sequencing coin scoring 4.46 runs per game so far this year compared to BaseRuns thinking they "should have" only scored 4.20 runs per game to this point.