Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Brewers vs Padres Open Thread: News / Notes / Predictions / Miscellaneous. What's on your Mind?


Posted

If Ortiz is healthy that's helpful. If I see Yelich tomorrow against a lefty I will immediately question if we are all in to win. You cannot justify him starting. 

  • Like 2
Posted
5 hours ago, BCF said:

Dustin May should start game 3 in SD. Look at his success against the Padres this year and in his career 

That just means he's due for a clunker against them.

  • Disagree 1
Posted
15 hours ago, markedman5 said:

Tomorrow is 3 days rest……..not sure why anyone would start him on short rest and curtail his innings when you can have him fully rested in game 2 and game 5 if needed.

Interesting question: what is "full rest" anymore?  I agree it used to be 4 days off, but these days almost all teams, including the Brewers, go with 5, or even 6 days off between starts.  If 5's the new normal, is 4 now 'short rest'?  Can anyone still be effective on 3 days rest, or is that now so far off starters' usual routines that's it's become functionally impossible?

It makes a big difference.  If 3 days rest is still a doable thing, then we could start Miz in games 1, 4 and 7 in an NLCS / WS.  If it's not, we can only pitch him twice.  

Back in the day, starting an ace in games 1, 4 and 7 was standard operating procedure.  Guys like Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling and John Smoltz did it routinely.  In the 1967 WS, Bob Gibson pitched and won games 1, 4 and 7 -- all in complete games.

But that was a long time ago.  In today's baseball can we still get 3 Miz starts vs the Dodgers or Yankees/Rays?

Posted
14 hours ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

I've been watching this team for 30 years. That's not as long as some around here, but it's been long enough to see just about everything baseball has to offer. I've seen young rebuilding teams. I've seen bad teams with no hope in the present or the future. I've seen the last decade's run of dominance. I've seen playoff success (because playing in three NLCS counts as success for a guy who grew up just hoping to still be in the race by June). I've felt playoff heartbreak.

I can honestly say that nothing that happens with this year's team is going to change my impression of their year, or my future fandom. Maybe that's self-protection. But, truthfully, this year brought something I've never seen before. It brought 103 wins and one of the best pitching seasons in the history of the league. If they end up losing this series, it won't be as cool as it could have been. I still hold out hope for a World Series run. But, at the end of the day, every single playoff game is a gift. It's a torturous, monkey's paw kind of gift in some ways, but still. These kind of peak emotional experiences don't come along very often. I'm not arguing about how anyone should experience it. Everyone gets their own set of priorities, and we're not going to change each other's minds either way. If you're at peace with whatever happens, great. If you're heavily invested in this being the year and will mourn every run allowed, that's great too. It's all part of the deal. All I know is, fall days in October, during this streak of success, haven't felt like football. They've felt like the Milwaukee ***** Brewers, and I'm thankful for every single one of them.

I hope we win tomorrow. I know we might well lose. That's baseball. It's at its best in October, and we get to be part of it AGAIN!

Go Brewers, now and forever and win, lose, or weather delay.

Yes, I’m in the camp that believes there is such a thing as a great season with a disappointing ending. I don’t subscribe to the feeling that a season has 1 winner and 29 losers. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Posted
9 hours ago, da swedish german said:

what's the experience like for Standing Room Only tickets at a playoff game?

I have never had SRO tickets before, been to a playoff game, and no games this year, unfortunately. 

 

I can picture the places in the park that are enjoyable to watch from. right field line near the foul pole, by the visitors bullpen, the barrel yard.  I've heard of but can't really remember SRO sections much in the loge level.  any recommendations?  

I would go SRO if everything was available to me. Plenty of good sightlines. If it were me, I'd get in a bit early, nothing crazy necessary, and find a spot along one of those tables facing the field. Can even get one field level, park there and slowly nurse soda/beer all night so it looks like you need the table, and enjoy.

Posted
14 hours ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

Boy, this isnt a very confident sounding thread.

Brewers fans are incredibly squeamish. It's funny because a lot of the same people are overly bullish on the Packers every single year. There is so much handwringing and hesitation when it comes to the Brewers. It's not like we're on the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted
14 hours ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

Boy, this isnt a very confident sounding thread.

Baseball has a lot of randomness. The Brewers could easily lose to the Rockies in a random best of five series and now they're playing the hottest team in baseball since end of July.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Posted
48 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

Interesting question: what is "full rest" anymore? 

Three days is short rest, four days is regular rest, and the now typically preferred five days is giving them an extra day, That's how I look at it anyway.

Wouldn't be too surprised if they used Misio out of the pen for an inning or two on what would normally be his throw day between starts, but would be pretty surprised if he started a game on three days rest unless it was some kind of G7 scenario where he was only expected to go four five innings tops.

As of now I believe it would map out as start today. G2, day off, G3 (possible relief window)  G4, day off, start G5 (on five days rest if needed). day off, G1, G2, day off, start G3 (on four days rest), G4, G5, day off, G6, start G7 (on four days rest if needed). day off, day off, day off, G1, start G2 (on four days rest), day off, G3, G4 (possible relief window) G5, day off, start G6 (on five days rest if needed), G7.

If they were to close out the NLCS before G7, could line up the World Series rotation for Misio to start G1, G2, day off, G3, G4, start G5 (on four days rest), day off, G6, then would presumably be available for a couple relief innings on two days rest for G7 if needed.

Posted

Here is my predicted lineup. The only thing I am uncomfortable with is starting Sanchez at DH because then you are pretty much stuck with him the remainder of the game.

Batting Order
1. LF - Jackson Chourio
2. 2B - Brice Turang
3. C - William Contreras
4. 1B - Andrew Vaughn
5. DH - Gary Sánchez
6. RF - Jake Bauers
7. CF - Garrett Mitchell
8. 3B - Joey Ortiz
9. SS - Cooper Pratt

Posted

I expect Bauers to be in the starting lineup somewhere. 

  • Like 1
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Verified Member
Posted
Game 1 Starting Lineup 1982.
Order Player Position
1 Paul Molitor 3B (Third Base)
2 Robin Yount SS (Shortstop)
3 Cecil Cooper 1B (First Base)
4 Ted Simmons C (Catcher)
5 Ben Oglivie LF (Left Field)
6 Gorman Thomas CF (Center Field)
7 Roy Howell DH (Designated Hitter)
8 Charlie Moore RF (Right Field)
9 Jim Gantner 2B (Second Base)
  • Like 2
Posted
59 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Brewers fans are incredibly squeamish. It's funny because a lot of the same people are overly bullish on the Packers every single year. There is so much handwringing and hesitation when it comes to the Brewers. It's not like we're on the team.

Bucks fans were the same way till they actually won it.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frisbee Slider said:

Here is my predicted lineup. The only thing I am uncomfortable with is starting Sanchez at DH because then you are pretty much stuck with him the remainder of the game.

Batting Order
1. LF - Jackson Chourio
2. 2B - Brice Turang
3. C - William Contreras
4. 1B - Andrew Vaughn
5. DH - Gary Sánchez
6. RF - Jake Bauers
7. CF - Garrett Mitchell
8. 3B - Joey Ortiz
9. SS - Cooper Pratt

Not if they have Naylor

  • Like 1
Posted
1 minute ago, Bulldogboy said:

Not if they have Naylor

I agree. It makes me think Naylor is more important than a fifth outfielder. We should want Sanchez batting against LHP but not RHP.

Posted
33 minutes ago, homer said:

Baseball has a lot of randomness. The Brewers could easily lose to the Rockies in a random best of five series and now they're playing the hottest team in baseball since end of July.

I know this topic has been covered at length, but it is worth remembering that we are the hottest team in baseball.


Since All Star Break:

Brewers .667 win %
Padres .652 win %
 

Padres # 2 OPS

Brewers # 4 OPS

Brewers # 5 ERA

Padres # 7 ERA

 

  • Like 1
Posted
11 hours ago, da swedish german said:

what's the experience like for Standing Room Only tickets at a playoff game?

I have never had SRO tickets before, been to a playoff game, and no games this year, unfortunately. 

 

I can picture the places in the park that are enjoyable to watch from. right field line near the foul pole, by the visitors bullpen, the barrel yard.  I've heard of but can't really remember SRO sections much in the loge level.  any recommendations?  

I haven't sat in a seat at a Brewers game in 4ish years. I've probably been to 30 or so games. SRO only for me these days or if I do buy a seated ticket it a nosebleed seat and I just walk around anyway. 

Meeting people and talking Brewers baseball while roaming is so easy. You can find a great sight line and hold the spot or you can move on until you find a group with a good vibe.

Was at the Chourio/Mitchell back to back, was at the Pete Alonso game, was at the Gm5 clincher against Chi last year... All great playoff experiences just roaming. Maybe a difference in playoff games is when you find a good sight line you should hold it for a bit just because there are a lot more people so space isn't as free.

I would say there is a small caveat in that I like multi tasking mentally. SRO/roaming can be "busy" visually and otherwise so if you are someone who just wants a clean view of the game and that to be your only task at hand... It makes sense to have a permanent seat.

  • Like 1
Community Moderator
Posted
1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

Three days is short rest, four days is regular rest, and the now typically preferred five days is giving them an extra day, That's how I look at it anyway.

Wouldn't be too surprised if they used Misio out of the pen for an inning or two on what would normally be his throw day between starts, but would be pretty surprised if he started a game on three days rest unless it was some kind of G7 scenario where he was only expected to go four five innings tops.

As of now I believe it would map out as start today. G2, day off, G3 (possible relief window)  G4, day off, start G5 (on five days rest if needed). day off, G1, G2, day off, start G3 (on four days rest), G4, G5, day off, G6, start G7 (on four days rest if needed). day off, day off, day off, G1, start G2 (on four days rest), day off, G3, G4 (possible relief window) G5, day off, start G6 (on five days rest if needed), G7.

If they were to close out the NLCS before G7, could line up the World Series rotation for Misio to start G1, G2, day off, G3, G4, start G5 (on four days rest), day off, G6, then would presumably be available for a couple relief innings on two days rest for G7 if needed.

Bullpen availability on the throw day is getting more popular but I would be shocked to see it. I think it should only be used if we are desperate in the DS. I'm more open to it deeper in the postseason. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Posted
1 hour ago, Frisbee Slider said:

I know this topic has been covered at length, but it is worth remembering that we are the hottest team in baseball.


Since All Star Break:

Brewers .667 win %
Padres .652 win %
 

Padres # 2 OPS

Brewers # 4 OPS

Brewers # 5 ERA

Padres # 7 ERA

 

well yeah if you go back far enough the Brewers have more wins than anyone. Padres have us by 3 games or so since July 24th I think.

But point is  they are playing very well so it's reasonable to be nervous.

  • Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006
Posted
1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

Three days is short rest, four days is regular rest, and the now typically preferred five days is giving them an extra day, That's how I look at it anyway.

Wouldn't be too surprised if they used Misio out of the pen for an inning or two on what would normally be his throw day between starts, but would be pretty surprised if he started a game on three days rest unless it was some kind of G7 scenario where he was only expected to go four five innings tops.

As of now I believe it would map out as start today. G2, day off, G3 (possible relief window)  G4, day off, start G5 (on five days rest if needed). day off, G1, G2, day off, start G3 (on four days rest), G4, G5, day off, G6, start G7 (on four days rest if needed). day off, day off, day off, G1, start G2 (on four days rest), day off, G3, G4 (possible relief window) G5, day off, start G6 (on five days rest if needed), G7.

If they were to close out the NLCS before G7, could line up the World Series rotation for Misio to start G1, G2, day off, G3, G4, start G5 (on four days rest), day off, G6, then would presumably be available for a couple relief innings on two days rest for G7 if needed.

And if we can knock down the Padres in 4 or less; we'll have him fresh as a daisy for Dodgers game 1.  That would open some doors.

Posted

Vignette from real life, 10 minutes ago.  We're getting ready for Milwaukee.

GF:  "How do I look?"  [she looks very cute, but she's wearing a Yelich jersey].

Me: "Oh, uh, this won't make any sense to you, but you can't wear that, not Yelich."

GF:  "Why, he's the best player, isn't he?"

Me:  [whoa, ok, slowly inhale.  Forgive her Lord, she knows not what she says].  "Well, he used to be, for sure, but this year definitely not.  In fact, overplaying him is a huge risk to our chances this year."

GF:  [with a bit of a pout on her face -- she does a VERY cute pout].  "But you bought this for me."

Me:  "True, but you also have that Garrett Mitchell jersey, the center fielder you like."

[Problem Solved].

PS:  Is it just me or do all girls look great in baseball hats?

  • Love 1
Posted
2 hours ago, homer said:

Baseball has a lot of randomness. The Brewers could easily lose to the Rockies in a random best of five series and now they're playing the hottest team in baseball since end of July.

Yup. They could win the World Series or get swept in the NLDS. Neither would be shocking. 

Posted
3 hours ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Brewers fans are incredibly squeamish. It's funny because a lot of the same people are overly bullish on the Packers every single year. There is so much handwringing and hesitation when it comes to the Brewers. It's not like we're on the team.

Check out the game threads after a couple of losses. The negativity is something to behold.

  • Disagree 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...