Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Recommended Posts

Posted

Seems like the theory is either Gasser or a Patrick opener.

I'd go with Patrick opener, but he's known to hate that, right? If it has to be a righty, Uribe is an out-of-the-box choice, but maybe a good one. Ashby and Megill can probably get 8-10 outs if you need it. If Uribe gets 3 out of the gate, you're looking at needing 14-16 from Patrick, Gasser, and some combo of the usual mid-inning guys and Drohan or Harrison (as last resort). In a weird situation, you might be able to use Henderson as well.

  • Like 1
Posted

Murph said last night they weren't naming a starter until today. Keep forgetting it's only 7am out there still so probably won't hear anything till later. 

The consensus among everyone seems to be a game of Gasser/Drohan/Patrick. 

If they are up late, like 3-1 in the 7th or 8th will we see Miz for an inning? It wouldn't surprise me. If it's goes to a Game 5 it's gonna be an all hands on deck anyway. 

  • Like 1
Posted
4 minutes ago, crossface2311 said:

If they are up late, like 3-1 in the 7th or 8th will we see Miz for an inning? It wouldn't surprise me. If it's goes to a Game 5 it's gonna be an all hands on deck anyway. 

Boy, I'd really hate to burn Miz in anything but a last-ditch effort. Given the Brewers' bullpen depth, it'd truly be a last resort for me.

  • Like 5
Posted
10 minutes ago, crossface2311 said:

Murph said last night they weren't naming a starter until today. Keep forgetting it's only 7am out there still so probably won't hear anything till later. 

The consensus among everyone seems to be a game of Gasser/Drohan/Patrick. 

If they are up late, like 3-1 in the 7th or 8th will we see Miz for an inning? It wouldn't surprise me. If it's goes to a Game 5 it's gonna be an all hands on deck anyway. 

I think I'd rather use Henderson if we're going to use a starter late. He's on two days (so on schedule for his side day) and could give an inning late, I would think.

I don't want that, but I'd choose him before Miz, and it wouldn't be particularly close.

Posted

Ordinarily, I would prefer Patrick as an openerto have a RHP facing Tatis and Machado the first time through.

But, he has had a couple of really shaky outings recently, so I wonder if they have lost confidence in him. If he has one of those outings as an opener, the game might be over before you can get him out.

 

  • Like 1
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.
Community Moderator
Posted
42 minutes ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

I think I'd rather use Henderson if we're going to use a starter late. He's on two days (so on schedule for his side day) and could give an inning late, I would think.

I don't want that, but I'd choose him before Miz, and it wouldn't be particularly close.

Yeah, unless we were up by 2-3 and we just wanted to completely slam the door, there's no way I'm bringing in Miz when he's pitching Friday if something went haywire. Henderson, sure.

Posted

I'd honestly just open with Henderson to get through Tatis, Machado, and France. 

Then go to your lefty in Drohan or Gasser. 

Might as well get Henderson some more work in this series, and he'd still be available to open Game 1 of the NLCS if we have to go to Miz in game 5. 

  • Like 2
Posted

Miz threw 88 pitches over 4 innings on Saturday. Would anyone be shocked if he started tonight and we came back with Henderson on Friday if need be? However, I think Gasser has pitched great and deserves the start tonight. 

Verified Member
Posted

There's only one wrong answer and it's Harrison, otherwise I fully support any starter they choose for today

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

 

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Posted

For me, it needs to be Gasser.  He has started and he has shown that he can do well against good right-handed bats.  Patrick could start, but I'm not sure his mind will be ready.

The only way I would pitch Harrison is if we are up four later in the game.  The last time he pitched at Petco, he got lit up... bad.  Too much risk.

Miz should not see the mound at all.  I would throw Henderson for an inning before Miz.

  • Like 1
Community Moderator
Posted

I'd vote no to Miz. I think you want to:

  1. Save Miz for a must-win game 5 (if necessary)
  2. Save Miz for game 1 of the Dodgers so he can pitch twice in that series (if necessary)

While Gasser isn't a great match up with the Padres, he has been lights out lately.  Since Murphy took him out mid-AB, he has a bit more edge and determination on the mound.  I like his focus in this last 3-4 starts. 

  • Like 1

"Rock, sometime, when the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Uecker. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy."

Posted
1 hour ago, shanedog19 said:

Miz threw 88 pitches over 4 innings on Saturday. Would anyone be shocked if he started tonight and we came back with Henderson on Friday if need be? However, I think Gasser has pitched great and deserves the start tonight. 

No chance this happens but it's what I would do. I get every argument against it, but we need to win one game. I would throw the best we've got up against their crapola and just try to end this thing.

Posted
16 minutes ago, CheezWizHed said:

I'd vote no to Miz. I think you want to:

  1. Save Miz for a must-win game 5 (if necessary)
  2. Save Miz for game 1 of the Dodgers so he can pitch twice in that series (if necessary)

While Gasser isn't a great match up with the Padres, he has been lights out lately.  Since Murphy took him out mid-AB, he has a bit more edge and determination on the mound.  I like his focus in this last 3-4 starts. 

I believe the way the 7 game series schedules work with off days, Miz could pitch game 5 of NLDS, and Games 3 & 7 of NLCS with 4 days rest between each start.

Also, you can't pitch 3 games in a 7 game series without pitching on short rest.

Verified Member
Posted

Bobby diesel it is

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

 

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Posted

As was the case with the Cubs last year and as is the case with the Padres this year ... avoid damage in the 1st and we seem to be just fine. If Bobby Fuel Tanks can get through the top of 1 unscathed then you are hoping he can give you 3 before pulling him at 1st sign of trouble. Play matchups the rest of the way. Senz, Patrick, Megill, Uribe for the top 4, whomever else for the rest of it.

9 good innings then let's rest. Let's hope Atl can force a Skubal appearance in the next 72 hours.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, liveforoctober said:

As was the case with the Cubs last year and as is the case with the Padres this year ... avoid damage in the 1st and we seem to be just fine. If Bobby Fuel Tanks can get through the top of 1 unscathed then you are hoping he can give you 3 before pulling him at 1st sign of trouble. Play matchups the rest of the way. Senz, Patrick, Megill, Uribe for the top 4, whomever else for the rest of it.

9 good innings then let's rest. Let's hope Atl can force a Skubal appearance in the next 72 hours.

I'm guessing he will be fine through the top of the first...

"Go ahead. Try to disagree with me. I dare you." Jeffrey Leonard.

Posted
1 hour ago, liveforoctober said:

Torts got here first, but here is the link:

 

 

Manager Pat Murphy mentioned a few of his multi-inning options after Tuesday’s game: left-handers Gasser and Shane Drohan and right-hander Chad Patrick. They all started games during the regular season. Of those pitchers, Gasser is the true starter. He posted a 1.67 ERA over his final six outings down the stretch. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...