Jump to content
Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: David Stearns has Emerged as Candidate for Head Astros Job


Ken Rosenthal is reporting that former President of Baseball Operations for the Brewers, David Stearns, is now potentially in the running to fill the vacant role in the Houston Astros front office.

Stearns is technically still under contract with the Brewers through the end of the 2023 baseball season so any arrangement with Houston would have to be cleared by Milwaukee. That could manifest in a myriad of ways: money, players, or even a compensation pick could head to the Brewers should the Astros pursue Stearns for the role.

 


View full rumor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Isn’t this what we’ve all expected? Oh where oh where could the Astros find their new GM? Maybe the 37-year old who’s credited with positioning the Brewers as a perennial contender, and appears ready for a new challenge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, damuelle said:

Isn’t this what we’ve all expected? Oh where oh where could the Astros find their new GM? Maybe the 37-year old who’s credited with positioning the Brewers as a perennial contender, and appears ready for a new challenge?

Honestly, once Cashman was extended, what might happen with Stearns kinda dropped off my radar. I assumed he was a possibility for the Mets, then maybe the Yankees, and I kinda forgot about the Astros being the Astros and losing their head honcho after winning a World Series.

I'd hate to see Stearns land there because the Astros have become such an easy-to-hate franchise and I have nothing against Stearns, he seems like a perfectly reasonable fellow. His going to the Astros would conflict with my quiet dislike of the entire organization.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, damuelle said:

Isn’t this what we’ve all expected? Oh where oh where could the Astros find their new GM? Maybe the 37-year old who’s credited with positioning the Brewers as a perennial contender, and appears ready for a new challenge?

Ya. I think a good chunk of us here predicted this would happen months ago.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, titletownking said:

I’d demand prospects if it were up to Arnold but it’s not, unfortunately it’s up to Mark. I’d not he surprised at cheap mark if he took money. 

In this case, I say the Crew should get what it can. The Astros could very well decide to wait out 2023, then sign Stearns and leave the Crew nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, MVP2110 said:

Yea it wouldn't be much, I think Theo was had for the other Chris Carpenter

Yah, I'd love Hunter Brown, but I'm not holding my breath. In kind of the area that Carpenter was prospect-wise at the time of the trade you've got a reclamation project (Whitley), a few upside pitchers with control issues (Arrighetti, Ullola), a couple of fastball-changeup college arms they took early last year (Taylor, Knorr), a few lower level power over hit tool outfielders (Cerny, Baez, Gomez) and a potential backend starter whose K-rate declined a bit last year (Murray).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d let him go for free just so all the people that have said he was going to be the Mets GM for the past half decade can be wrong.

Honestly though, any return would be borderline worthless in the grand scheme. Any player we get into return we could have plucked from them for a bag of balls anyway. I just want what should have happened the second he stepped down, him out of the organization. No need for him to be anywhere near the front office when he wants to leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if Stearns has had less effect since moving out of the GM role. I'll miss him, the team will miss him, he's not going to be a lifer though so at this point I'd almost rather get it over with and get some compensation for losing him. 

  • Like 1
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
2 hours ago, Austin Tatious said:

His wife is from Houston so that may be a huge draw for them.  Better than working for Steve Cohen who is a true piece of work. 

The Astros owner is not all that much better.  Maybe he trusts Stearns more but he has been running the whole team and everything had to go through him first for the past few years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Austin Tatious said:

I don’t know Houston’s owner but Cohen is crooked.  He made his fortune in very shady ways with insider trading allegations left and right etc.  

I believe the EEOC substantiated allegations that Astros Owner, Jim Crane instructed his subordinates at his global supply company not to hire women and minorities, and that he paid his female and minority employees less than he did the white men who worked for him, and paid over 9 million dollars in civil settlements related to those allegations. 

Crane also paid the US Government a penalty for DOJ charges of war profiteering concerning the Iraq War and his global supply company. 

It is probably best not to look too closely at any MLB owner, as they likely all have their shady deals and arm twisting that put them into the position to be able to afford a team in the first place. 

Even a young Attanasio worked at a firm that collapsed in a junk bond scandal where his boss went to prison for securities fraud. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Austin Tatious said:

I don’t know Houston’s owner but Cohen is crooked.  He made his fortune in very shady ways with insider trading allegations left and right etc.  

Which MLB owner made their fortune on the up and up?

Hoarding enough wealth to be a billionaire in the first place is pretty shady in and of itself.

I never let my portfolio get over 999 million, personally.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

I believe the EEOC substantiated allegations that Astros Owner, Jim Crane instructed his subordinates at his global supply company not to hire women and minorities, and that he paid his female and minority employees less than he did the white men who worked for him, and paid over 9 million dollars in civil settlements related to those allegations. 

Crane also paid the US Government a penalty for DOJ charges of war profiteering concerning the Iraq War and his global supply company. 

It is probably best not to look too closely at any MLB owner, as they likely all have their shady deals and arm twisting that put them into the position to be able to afford a team in the first place. 

Even a young Attanasio worked at a firm that collapsed in a junk bond scandal where his boss went to prison for securities fraud. 

Yeah, all MLB owners probably have their shady pasts but Crane seems like a real jerk. Which kinda fits in line with how the Astros as a whole have operated for the past decade.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yeah, all MLB owners probably have their shady pasts but Crane seems like a real jerk. Which kinda fits in line with how the Astros as a whole have operated for the past decade.

Cranes abhorrent non-apology, apology over the sign stealing punishment showed his true lack of character. I’m guessing Stearns stays clear of the jerk now that he has made his way and should get his pick of jobs around the game over the next couple of years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.

×
×
  • Create New...