Brewer Fanatic

What's NOT bugging you? (2020s edition)

hawing

New decade*, new space to talk about what's not bugging you.

I'll start! No matter how many times the Badgers have been in the Rose Bowl (a phrase I never would have imagined using while I was a UW student in the 1980s), it's always a thrill to see the Badger band march in the Rose Parade.

*For those of you who recognize 1/1/2021 as the start of the new decade...it's okay. I'm making the change because two digits changed in the year, not just one.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I am in behavioral therapy and made my therapist cry because she was so happy to see the improvements I've made.

Congrats!!!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The St. Paul Saints giving away an "Astro the Grouch" talking bobblehead that randomly bangs on the trashcan or just says stuff like, "hey, it's a curve ball" does not bug me. The fact it will apparently be given out the same night as the Astros visit the Twins makes it that much better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm just happy I worked out this morning. First day in a good while of trying to stick to a regular routine. I work rotating shifts and I'd always fallen out of it once I go on night shift. Slightly better hours with a new park helps, even though it means getting home from work and immediately going to bed. Also, hitting a heavy bag even for a little while is exhausting.

I was torn on where to post this because something that bugged me ended up being something positive.

For the second time in two months, we had a dog get sprayed by a skunk. After the first dog was sprayed, we used a typical concoction we found online (baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, etc.). After that, my wife thought we should get some Skunk-Off just in case. I think we had put a little bit of it in the wash with some of the clothes and household items that smelled like skunk.

This time around, we did the first smart thing -- keep him outside on a leash while we got our bearings. We used the Skunk-Off shampoo and sure enough, it got the smell out!!!!! Our house smells like it normally does and the pup had no traces of skunk smell this morning. I wanted to share the product.

http://www.thornell.com/product/skunk-off/

Two of the three dogs have been sprayed. Sigh...

• 2 weeks later...

With an estimated 80% reduction in vehicle traffic, Los Angeles supposedly now has the cleanest air of any major city in the world.

The Venice canals are now so clear you can see to the bottom.

There is a silver lining to this that we need to figure out how to sustain.

I'm a teacher, to make it to school on time with a 30 minute commute, I had to get up at 5:35 am every single day.

Now that I teach from home, I don't get up until 7:30 am.

The extra sleep I am now getting is such a bonus from the rest of the crap show, but I am appreciating it immensely. That is my own personal silver lining due to the fact I am not, and have never been a morning person.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

With an estimated 80% reduction in vehicle traffic, Los Angeles supposedly now has the cleanest air of any major city in the world.

There is a silver lining to this that we need to figure out how to sustain.

Fully autonomous vehicles is probably the best answer.

I am not, and have never been a morning person.

Same here. I started using a wake-up light and that's really helped. Gradually turns on to simulate a sunrise, so now I'm either awake before my alarm or at least in a closer-to-awake phase of sleep at the alarm. Still tough to actually get out of bed, but for the most part I'm waking up a little more alert, and that's really helped.

My bigger problem is that it's easy for me to accidentally stay up late. So now I've set a sunset light in my living room as a bit of a reminder to go to bed, as well as a timer on my tv plug that turns it off at 10:11 every night. I'd do the same to my router if I didn't need podcasts to sleep to.

Probably not even polution. Probably because all the silt settled instead of being stirred up all the time.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Probably not even polution. Probably because all the silt settled instead of being stirred up all the time.

Many bodies of water have cleared up. My boss, who is Indian, said that the Ganges River is now so clean you might be able to drink out of it.

The pollution that is in the air and on the streets ends up in the bodies of water after rain washes it down and away. No pollution in the air and on the streets means no pollution getting into the water after rain.

• 1 month later...
With all the chaos going on, it was really entertaining and uplifting to watch the Dragon launch on Saturday, and then watching them dock at the ISS yesterday. The video diriectly from NASA's feed was amazing.

YEAH!!!

Someday, I'm hoping to see a launch of the Falcon Heavy rocket with astronauts aboard. That thing just takes off from the launch pad! I'd be curious to hear the astronaut's thoughts on a lift off and flight like that!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Instant mashed potatoes. How in the world did I not know about this glorious invention? Microwave two cups of water for 5 minutes, stir in the instant potatoes for one minute, and boom - mashed potatoes for little over a dollar a package, covers me for two meals.

I've been trying to eat a little less meat without increasing sugar intake by cutting down on proportions but need something else to substitute and keep me from getting hungry. Easy nine months out of the year, I can bake a handful of sweet potatoes and have leftovers for two days. But I don't want any part of baking in my kitchen during the summer, and don't want to grill them on a gas grill for 45 minutes or whatever when I only need 10 minutes to grill a steak or 18-20 minutes for chicken breasts.

Apparently I've been leaning forward when I walk for decades now. The internet says it's Thoracic Kyphosis, so I've been doing some stretches for it and adding in lower and middle traps to the workouts. That combined with the mindfulness of it, I do think I'm standing up and walking straighter now. I was probably leaning forward a good 8" and never really realized it.

A couple months in and I'm still working out regularly. Really happy about that, since sticking with it is one of my two bigger weaknesses. The slightly better shift schedule with my new park has made all the difference.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.