Brewer Fanatic

Hader VERY BAD for Padres

6 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

On top of what we've seen already, he just came in to bail out Darvish tonight and was really bad. His ERA doesn't reflect how bad he has been despite it being over 10.00.

Yep. Continues to make you wonder whether the Brewers knew something. 

29 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Yep. Continues to make you wonder whether the Brewers knew something. 

Right now I think it's mostly sample size but I think there's something that will never return Hader to what he was.

I advocated for the trade of Hader the same reason I laughed at the signing of Craig Kimbrel. Get out while you can, the Mariano Riveras, Billy Wagners, and Joe Nathans are few and far between. Get out before they're 30 and move on.

• Like 2

Maybe it's the dark side of my personality, but with all the media hype surrounding their moves and the whole "dream team" aura that seems to surround them, I find myself enjoying any failures they experience. 

But I wish all their losses could occur in the early or middle innings. Don't like the idea of Josh being put through the ringer by their fans.

6 minutes ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Maybe it's the dark side of my personality, but with all the media hype surrounding their moves and the whole "dream team" aura that seems to surround them, I find myself enjoying any failures they experience. 

But I wish all their losses could occur in the early or middle innings. Don't like the idea of Josh being put through the ringer by their fans.

Might also be the fact that their failures could directly lead to the Brewers making the playoffs. lol

• Like 1

His control has been awful too. Somewhat with Milwaukee in July, but especially in August

I also didn’t like his comment about how Padres are a team not just trying to make the playoffs; they’re looking for a World Series. Sorta implying we haven’t been thinking WS. Well, even if he is nail on head this season at the deadline, the Padres haven’t done squat compared to the Brewers in the last 15 years. Plus, Hader was a main reason why we didn’t go further in the playoffs in 19 and 21.   Padres (and Phillies) can be caught.p easier than Cards, imo

Its the same old story for the Padres. They spend a bunch of money in the offseason, make some high profile trades and then free fall the last couple of months of the season. Now their once top farm system is one of the worst. 

• Like 3

In Josh Hader’s last two outings he’s faced 12 batters. It’s gone as follows:

Walk
Single
Hit By Pitch
Walk
Strikeout 
Walk
Sac Fly (Lineout)
Hit By Pitch
Walk
Sac Fly (Lineout)
Single
Lineout

On the bright side no extra base hits, but yeah that’s pretty rough. The walk last night was on 4-pitches with the bases already loaded. 

• Like 2
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't think this is a shock. He hasn't been very good since his wife starting having pregnancy issues. I can't blame him for having his family on his mind rather than baseball.  These guys are just humans too dealing with the same issues we are just on a national stage.  I thought moving back to California may help him. I still can't see them non-tendering him in the offseason based on the investment they made in him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, patrickgpe said:

I don't think this is a shock. He hasn't been very good since his wife starting having pregnancy issues. I can't blame him for having his family on his mind rather than baseball.  These guys are just humans too dealing with the same issues we are just on a national stage.  I thought moving back to California may help him. I still can't see them non-tendering him in the offseason based on the investment they made in him. 

For the record, I also don't think they will non-tender him because they will look like idiots. However, I still think it might be the smart move to do so considering what he's going to get in arbitration. 

• Like 1

I think some of his struggles probably have to do with his different release point this season (much higher vertically) creating a easier angle for hitters to pick up his pitches, and also possibly contributing to his frequent loss of command and control. While it sounds like it should be an easy fix, I assume it’s probably a little difficult in the middle of a season to just alter your release point and maintain it consistently with all of your pitches. The Brewers have seemingly been at the leading edge of many recent pitching trends and advances including the role arm angles play in generating deception, movement, and seam shifted wake. At the very least I do wonder if the Brewers pitch data for Hader this season was setting off alarm bells to the point they believed he’d continue to struggle for the remainder of the season. 

• Like 1
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member

There is such a small sample size for relievers in a trade deadline deal, that almost anything can happen. That's why I figured Rogers was about as likely to outperform Hader in 20 or so innings as Hader was to outperform Rogers. 

I saw the trade as one year of Hader for six years each of Gasser and Ruiz, plus an additional $15M or so freed up on next year's payroll. I was fine with that at the time of the trade, and am still fine with it today. If the Brewers are to win the trade, I hope it's more because Gasser and Ruiz do well than it is because Hader falters.

The only reason I'm glad Hader is struggling is because the Brewers are currently chasing the Padres in the Wild Card hunt, so each Hader blown save is another half game for the Brewers.

• Like 4

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Verified Member

Preller is likely smoking cigarettes by the cart-load worrying about the next six weeks. There are not too many GMs who are allowed to tank for four years, fire and hire 3 different managers, trade away nearly entire draft classes from the tanking years and yet have one playoff appearance and zero playoff wins in 7 years at the helm. 

Community Moderator

When I saw the Padres were the trade partner I immediately knew the Brewers were going to get the better end of the deal in terms of value. Preller has to be the worst GM in baseball right now and the Stearns is one of the smartest when it comes to pitching. 

However, if the Padres make the playoffs at the expense of the Brewers, that is a big knock against the trade due to the Brewers' unquantifiable post-trade slump. But the Cards' black devil magic is out of our control and our pitching has been mediocre this year, so maybe it isn't that big of a deal that 2022 is slipping away while we picked up some pieces for the pitching lab to go to work on. 

2 hours ago, Simba2020 said:

How dare the Padres bring in Josh in the middle of an inning. Don't they know he doesn't approve of that? At this point the Padres would probably be wise to non-tender him.

I think it's OK as long as the team he's pitching for is trying to go for a World Series😜.

3 hours ago, Simba2020 said:

How dare the Padres bring in Josh in the middle of an inning. Don't they know he doesn't approve of that? At this point the Padres would probably be wise to non-tender him.

I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but I've never really understood the vilification of Hader for wanting to be 9th inning only.  Didn't that come about after the Brewers beat him in arbitration by arguing he didn't have enough saves to deserve a higher salary? Always seemed to me like he was just playing the game by the rules the arb process created.

• Like 1